Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding Ip

Connor Guest

Hiding Ip

Is there any way to hide the server's ip?

that's by definition impossible... the clients need to know the server's ip (or dns which resolves to an ip) in order to send packets...
    every computer that shall be reachable in the internet need an ip.

Thus the ip is shown when a client clicks on the server-line in the tree-view... as you could find out the ip in any way...
    To pull up your security I suggest a firewall and perhaps you should disable that your server shows up in the web serverlist (see your server's web-interface, which also comes with help-pages (upper right corner))

cu
    SatanClaus

Connor Guest

the reason i ask

I have been getting hackers to hack that comp i do have a firewall but in about 2 mins i got 1200 attacks on my comp that is running the server. I just mean to hide it so the ppl can't see it on the client when they click on the server name.

Well,

todays personal firewalls have learnt that the windows users that don't really have clue about how networks work etc. think a firewall is better if it reports to have blocked more "attacks" - hence, these firewalls will log every packet coming from the outside as "attack", so they easily generate high numbers, that can totally be ignored (if the real thing ever happens you won't see it in your firewall logs).
    If I do a simple port scan, which can be compared to somebody walking by your house and visually inspecting the windows/door etc. then I will quickly send your PC a few thousands of packets, to different ports (to see if they are open or not). Port scans are done frequently by various people for various reasons (on whole sub nets, not only on specific IPs), so you should not wonder "who is attacking me" when you things like 1200 attacks prevented...
    Oh and hiding the server IP is a ridiculus suggestion, its like saying I want to run a restaurant, but please baricade the doors
    You think my answer is stupid ? Read This:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

In a world without fences and walls - who needs windows and gates ?

Connor Guest

so

so you r saying that you it wouldent be better if you go to www.no-ip.com and set up an account there so ppl would only see XXX.no-ip.org: port i would rather have that anyday

Imagine you have one of those dreams where you walk around all naked... except it's not a dream but real and you try to cover up your schlong with a transparent plastic bag.
    This is about the effective "cloaking" of a dynamic dns (sub)domain.

Connor Guest

Good or bad?

Is that good or bad?

Neither. It's useless. Dynamic DNS subdomains are useful for people with dynamic IP addresses who run servers of any kind so that interested people can find them.

If you don't want to be found don't use a Dynamic DNS subdomain and don't run any servers. If you want to be perfectly safe don't connect to the internet.

Connor Guest

well

I think that it is an good idea.... but that is just me i do know a few other people that think it is a good idea too.

That's not more or less the truth, as in "hard facts" a.k.a. the way things are.
    Pointing a domain name at your IP doesn't hide it, as a matter of fact it just exposes it even more.

Anyways, I'm still available for performing miracles. I can prevent your computer from being hacked by putting my hands on it. I can also increase bust size the same way (30 day money back guarantee).

Connor Guest

I want to know

I want to know every1's thinking on it.

What shall I say, your question is quite "useless" and shows that you do not have understand the basics of www. In the end your IP is required to be able to connect to you so hwo would you like to hide it ?

Hide it (don't tell anyone) can only be achieved by NOT setting up a server.

Connor Guest

I

I do understand..... What I use is no-ip.com it works for a lot of things i just want it to hide the ip from being shown on the client + when the ip changes u can have the no-ip thing change by itself and people don't have it change the ip in there address book but i just don't want the people to be able to see it on the client.

of course no-ip.com is very helpful to handel dynamic WAN IP's.
    BUT: if you belive this way your IP is "hidden", then you better do not deal with server's at all ! => By knowing your no-ip DNS name, I simply ping it and I have your IP. You can't really hid your server's IP as long as you want it to be accessible from the WAN.

Connor Guest

I know ppl

I know that people can find it out but it is just a "mask" for the people that think that they know that kind of stuff + for people that have web stuff that they don't want other people to see.

Thread Information