Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    

Teamspeak Security? Where? Here's a suggestion!

I did a search on teamspeak security in the forum and found people going on and on about how there are no known exploits. The only security measure offered is to create long cryptic passwords that take a while to brute force.
    I do realize that Teamspeak has alot of functionality in the security level department. However, teamspeak fails to provide some very basic security that I believe should be included.

A) Security setting to temporarily or permanently ban IPS for failed login attempts. (That was your 350th login attempt, guessed it yet?)

B) Security to limit the amount of logins per minute. (Ever had someone DOS attack your server with massive joins/parts?)

C) Default security levels that are more in line with what is required to prevent ts takeovers. (Oh, so to prevent takeovers I should redo the security settings individually for each server. Can I set up security groups? Oh, no... Great...)

D) Increase the difficulty of giving SA status to members inside teamspeak. (So, I can hit one button to give you SA access?)

E) Secure certification capability for the web client, or some form of encryption. (What was your password again?)

F) Minimum password requirements. (So my password of "a" isn't secure? why? who would guess "a"?)

G) Ability to restrict names or characters. ("Hi, I'm Amie (R SA CA) (U)" Oh crap! They hacked us. Click click. Uhh... That wasn't supposed to happen.)

H) Security Groups that can be assigned to large blocks of servers or individual servers during setup.

I realize some of these things would seem senseless, but to those who have customers you know what can happen. People aren't always as familiar with teamspeak or they don't understand that there are people out there that would easily take over their server just for the fun of it.

Having dealt with a few takeovers myself I have to say I am sick of it. Also, DOS attacks on teamspeak in the form of mass joins that can only be stopped by using iptables? Yeah. This is a service we are now paying for, which I agree with. But I have a hard time putting my credit card information forward to pay a bill for a service that is so easily disrupted.

I hope these changes come quickly, because they can't come soon enough.

Thank you

Amie Davis
    FragEmporium.Net

Oh! I forgot one important thing:

Ability to limit the number of simultaneous logins from one IP. (Hi, I'm brute forcing your password with 25 threads, thank you!)

I might be wrong, but I think other people have already suggested the things you're suggesting some time ago so you would probably see those in TS3. Also TS3 is said to have a completely redone permission system, so that would be a good opportunity to sharpen the authentication part as well.
    However, please don't take that for a fact, I'm just guessing.
    Maybe a developer would kindly respond to this, perhaps.

Character and name restriction is already possible, see server.ini for AllowedClientNameChars and DisAllowedClientNameChars, names go into the file bad_names.txt

i guess some or more are in process or has already been fixed (i see disallowing certain characters in name)

Thread Information