Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Jdawgg's Guide to Starting a TeamSpeak 2 SERVER

Well some people like the way I explain things better than others, and I know that the other tutorial that is in the sticky is a little old, hard to follow if you are a complete computer newb, and has some unnecessary steps which I sort of iron out with this one.

I CAN ASSURE YOU - if you read this tutorial, follow it EXACTLY as printed, and follow any links I provide to other tutorials (such as port forwarding) then you will have a working TeamSpeak 2 server within 20 minutes.

Furthermore, at the end, I give tips on how to configure your TeamSpeak 2 server to the way that you probably wanted it.

--------------- The beginning... ---------------

1) Go to www.goteamspeak.com and download the TeamSpeak 2 Server

2) Install the server.

3) The first time you start the server, a popup window containing the Admin and SuperAdmin login name and password will appear - WRITE IT ALL DOWN - if you don't write it down, retrieving them is just that much more work.

4) You should now see a system tray icon in the lower-right corner of your screen - it will look like the purple one with the headset (for the TS2 client) only with a different image.

5) Right click and go to "Administration"

6) Right now you are looking at the SUPER Admin login screen, which is exactly where you want to be. Note that later on, if you want your normal Admins to access the administrator panel, they will see a slightly different screen.

7) Log in using your SuperAdmin Username and Password that we wrote down from step 3.

8) For security reasons, we will make a NEW SuperAdmin and delete the old one - so on the small navigation menu on the left side of the screen, go to "SuperAdmin Manager"

9) Click the "Add Client" button / image and add your own personal login name and password. Hit add and continue - and you should be back at the main screen.

10) Go back to SuperAdmin Manager and DELETE the old account that was generated when we first installed the software, leaving just your own personal account.

---------------- Half Way There ---------------

11) Go to the "Servers" menu on the left. You should see one server running on UDP Port 8767 and 3 buttons to the right of it called "Stop" "Delete" and "Select".

12) Click the "Select" button. Now your left-side navigation menu has more options.

13) Click on "Server settings" and configure it the way you want it. This page is relatively self-explanatory, however for Codecs just leave them all checked (we'll discuss them later) and I am pretty sure 90% of you will want ServerType = "Clan Server" - if you use Public Server you will not be able to see users that are in different channels. Just because you make it Clan Server doesn't mean public cannot join - it simply means you can see everyone in the entire TS server.

The server WebPost URL you don't need at this point, and leave the server UDP port on 8767 unless you know what you are doing with Port Forwarding and want the server running on a different port.

SAVE

14) Go to "User manager" on the nav bar and DELETE the "admin" client (we will make you a new one).

15) Go back to that screen and click "Add Client" and make your own personal account - MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE BOX FOR 'ServerAdmin' otherwise you obviously wont have admin rights in your server.

-------------------- It will work -----------------

At this point your server technically works. However, if you do not have UDP port 8767 forwarded on your router, your friends may not be able to connect to your server. For port forwarding, please reference this very handy tutorial on forwarding ports!

:::IMPORTANT NOTES:::

- You do NOT use your SuperAdmin login name and password when joining your server - you use your normal Admin that we created in step 15.

- When you give your friends your IP to test, do NOT use the "192.x.x.x" IP - instead go to www.whatismyip.com and give them the IP it reads at the top of that page.

- "My friend could connect to me yesterday, but not today..." That's because you have a dynamic IP - go back to www.whatismyip.com and it will be slightly different - give him the new one and he'll be back in.

- "I can connect but my friends cannot..." Again, it is most likely a Port Forwarding problem.

- "My friends CAN connect, but I can NOT????" You are most likely using your EXTERNAL IP Address to connect, when you want to use your INTERNAL IP Address (the 192.x.x.x one). Since you are within your own home network, you are allowed to use the internal IP, and sometimes are required to. So your friends use the External (from www.whatismyip.com), while you use the Internal.

------------ Jdawgg's Tips --------------

Still having trouble with those stupid ports? Try these sites:

http://www.portforward.com/default.htm
    http://www.xbchelp.com/router/

Jdawgg's Configuration:

With my server, I also did the following steps so my new users could register, could send chat to other users, etc. Use this if you want a little more functionality:

1) Log into the SuperAdmin web panel.
    2) go to "Servers" and "Select" your server that is running.
    3) Under "Server permissions" in the nav menu click "Anonymous"
    4) FIND the following items, and do the corresponding action:

PrivilegeRegisterSelfByDefault - CHECK (this is probably the #1 FAQ "why can't people register on my server?")
    AllowChannelCommanderStatus - UNCHECK
    SendTextToOwnChannel - CHECK
    SendTextToAllChannel - CHECK
    ChannelCreateModerated - UNCHECK
    ChannelCreateUnregisterred - UNCHECK

SAVE

5) Go to the "Registered" menu and FIND the following and do the corresponding action:

ChannelCreateRegisterred - UNCHECK
    ChannelCreateUnregisterred - UNCHECK
    ChannelCreateModerated - UNCHECK
    SendTextToAllChannel - CHECK
    SendTextToOwnChannel - CHECK
    AllowChannelCommanderStatus - UNCHECK

SAVE

6) Go to the "Channel Admin" menu and FIND the following and do the corresponding action:

SendTextToAll - CHECK
    KickPlayerFromServer - CHECK

SAVE

Now you have a configured server such that nobody else can create channels except for Server Administrator (you) and Channel Admins can create channels to a degree (sub-channels and moderated).

Channel Admins can now kick from server AND from channel, so if you want to let your friend monitor your server, give him CA and he can kick (but not ban) an intruder - note he cannot kick you since you are higher ranked than him.

All users can chat to everyone, making TeamSpeak like a chat program. This way if someone doesn't have voice rights, he can talk or whatever - maybe he doesn't have a mic and is for some reason in TEAMSPEAK, he can still communicate....

-------------- WHAT ARE CODECS? -------------

Remember back in step 13 I told you to leave all the codecs checked? Well now log into your server using your Admin username and password. You'll know if you did it right because you will see (R SA) next to your name.

- Right click on the channel you are in and go to "Edit Channel".

- See where it says "Codec"? The higher the number, the better sound quality you will have. At the same rate, the higher the number, the more bandwidth it will use and the more delay betwene your voices you will hear. Play around with it and talk to people to see what sounds best and what runs the fastest.

-------------------- Routers / Port Forwarding -------------- (added 8/10/06)

What is a Router exactly? A router can be looked at sort of like a telephone operator. You call your operator on your telephone, and they ask you where you would like your call to be connected, and they connect you.

So you have a router. Typically, routers are for when your home has 2 or more computers that want to share the internet. The Cable or DSL line plugs into the MODEM which then plugs into the ROUTER, which then has any number of computers connected to it. Sometimes you may have a router even if you have only one computer, reason being, for the firewall built-in to all routers. This firewall is just the "Port Forwarding" and by default, most ports are not forwarded, so it acts like a firewall.

Map:
    The Internet --> Your cable / DSL modem --> Router --> Home computers

What is a port?

A port is just like a channel that which information travels. Like on TV, if you tune into channel 20, you get a different show than if you tune into channel 40; but the shows are always running on both. So the ports act like channels at which information can travel, but only people who are "tuned" into that channel will get the information.

How do you tune into a port?

You technically don't. Instead, you configure your ROUTER through your router's administration panel and you assign port X to forward to computer Y. So if you want UDP Port 8767 to forward to your TeamSpeak server, then you'd put in the INTERNAL IP of the computer which the server is running on, and set UDP Port 8767 as the forwarding port, and then save the changes.

What exactly is happening?

The internet traffic hits your router. So when someone enters your IP with the port specified at the end, it sends a connection "packet" to that IP. In that packet it also says what port it wants to connect to. So that packet hits your cable / dsl modem which simply pipes it to the next person in line, your Router. Your router than reads the packet and basically says "Which port are you looking for?" It will then look up in the router's configuration for UDP Port 8767 and if that port is forwarded to a computer, it will "forward" the packet to that particular computer.

So rather than getting packets and sending it to all computers behind the router, it can send it to exactly the one it wants because it forwards UDP port 8767 to your specific computer. Make sense?

How do I configure the router to make all this magic happen?

Well that is totally different for each router. Here is a list of popular router models: Linksys, D-Link, Cisco. The first two are the most popular. 90% of the people I get e-mails from have one of those two. So if that name is printed on a box somewhere, that's your Router.

You need to find the manual that came with your Router, which will tell you eactly how to log into it. If you have parents that setup your home network, ask them how to log in and explain that you need to forward a port so that friends can talk to you on TeamSpeak.

--------------- END -------------

I hope that helped. I know the other tutorial was pretty old and a little out of date, and could be hard to follow if you were younger or were really computer illiterate. So I tried to be as specific as possible with this one.

Regards,
    Jdawgg
    Last edited by JD; 31-08-2007 at 10:13. Reason: misspelled guide lmao

I followed your Tutorail exactly and still I get the: No reply from server
    or maybe teamspeak is not running on it
    problem.
    What is the problem? I already closed the FireWall.
    Please, could you help me?

ow, great guide by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Nickboy
    problem.

Are you on a router?

JD, nice guide man, karma for you! What about the other internal IP's? There are 3 ranges for homenetworks. Might put them in also? 10.0.0.x and 172.x.x.x

Thanks for the feedback, and I am glad it is helping you. Note that I did just now update it to reflect a few things that you might run into, but nothing major.

@ Nickboy

You might have a Router, which is different than a software firewall. The Router is the part where you need Port Forwarding. Read those guides thoroughly as they will attempt to explain. Also, re-read my tutorial as I just edited it, and I try to explain Routers.

ok, thank you for helping

Quote Originally Posted by Nickboy
    problem.

Did you START THE SERVER make sure that the sever icon is in the tool tray if it is then make sure you click on it until a server window opens on ur screen

Nice post (from what I skimmed of it).

I'd suggest it be moved to the Server Support forum, however.

Smile Cannot click Administration its completly grey!

Im trying to Follow JD's Instructions and can someone help me out?! and i cannot click Cannot click Administration its completly grey! and if you know the website for SuperAdmin & Admin login site for ts servers that would be greatly appreaciated summitted on this fourm
    Last edited by Bastian; 29-08-2006 at 08:15. Reason: removed mail address

Great guide, only part I don't get, and this may seem stupid, but how do I log in when I am inside my server as the admin?

As which admin? Superadmin or ServerAdmin?

Superadmin cannot login to the server, only used for the webpanel and stuff.
    ServerAdmin can login to the server. If you host ont he same pc as your client, use 127.0.0.1ort or localhostort

Thats my problem, I dont really get how to use local ports or ports period.. 'XD

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMacdonald View Post
    Great guide, only part I don't get, and this may seem stupid, but how do I log in when I am inside my server as the admin?
    It's not like ventrilo, where you log first onto the server and then type the admin password.

You have to own an Serveradmin account, with an account name and password.
    This two informations must be given to the server while logging in, so you have to type it BEFORE you connect.

Help!!!!! Please!!!!

hi,
    ive recently downloaded the ts server
    i need to know how to get it online, i have configured all the permissions, i dont know anything about the port forwarding and technical stuff,
    if someone can help me get this thing so people from the internet can connect.
    thank you

BHKai is offline -= Undercover TeamSpeak Fanatic =-

Thread Information