Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    

Thread: Cannot connect

Angry Cannot connect

I have the linux version of Teamspeak Server installed on my Fedora core 5 server but cannot get the client to connect from outside my network. I ran the port test and got these results:

Step 3 - Test results The connection test finished without errors!

UDP test details
    The UDP connection test could establish a connection to your TeamSpeak 2 server.

TCP test details
    The TCP connection test could establish a connection to your TeamSpeak 2 server.

HTTP test details
    The HTTP connection test could establish a connection to your TeamSpeak 2 server.

I changed the default port from 8767 to a port above 10,000 but still cannot connect outside my network. If I connect with the internal lan ip (192.168.0.99) I can login with the client. Now I can login to the admin and superadmin interface from the internet, but just cannot get the client to connect.

I have attempted to turn off iptables to see if that helped and no luck. I do not want to put this server on the dmz for obvious reasons. A netstat -tunap shows this:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:51234 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 15490/server_linux
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:14534 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 15490/server_linux

udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:11450 0.0.0.0:* 15490/server_linux

A tcpdump of udp port 11450 does not show that I am even hitting the server at port 11450 (no traffic). I have a NetGear firewall which I have port forwarding setup and logging enabled for that rule but no traffic to it.

I am not using MySQL at this time. I even attempted to change the server.ini to listen to a specific ip, no help.

I have also added teamspeak to my local pc firewall to allow udp port 11450 and the program teamspeak to connect to the internet. No luck!

Help!

Jim

Just to make sure I'm following along.

You changed the port on your TSServer to 11450 (instead of 8767), which tests okay, but users can't connect to externally?

Hmmm. I can only think of a few of the more common errors that I'd guess you've already checked, but then again, the easy things are the simplest to forget.

1) Are your external users using the correct WAN IP Address to connect to your server? (hint - NOT 192.168.x.x)

2) When you setup the port forwarding on the router did you set it to UDP? Did you set it for port 11450 (instead of 8767)?

It sounds like the issue lies with your router(s) and/or firewall(s) since you can connect on the LAN just fine. You might coordinate a time with your friends/users to set your box in the DMZ for a testing period (10 minutes or so) to see if they can connect then. If they can we know it's your routers firewall/port forwarding. If it still fails, there's something else afoot.

Yes, the users are trying to connect my external ip 24.59.9.171. Internal works just fine which also leads me to believe that its with my firewall. I did setup port 11450 as udp and evern rebooted the firewall to make sure it wasnt acting up. I also installed a new Firmware for it today as well. I will probably test by moving this to the dmz to see what happens.

Thanks
    Jim

I setup my Firewall to allow my internal ip of my server to be set as the DMZ.

Still no go:

[16:16:15] Connecting to 24.59.9.171:11450
    [16:16:18] No reply from server
    or maybe teamspeak is not running on it

Jim

In continuing to troubleshoot this problem, I installed Teamspeak on my second server (through the same firewall) and again I can access it from inside but not out. It appears that it is indeed a problem with my firewall. I am going to try swapping it out later. Will let you know how it goes.

Jim

I removed the Netgear firewall that I had setup and replaced it with a Linksys WRT54GX2 Wireless router. Setup my port forwarding and I can connect internally but not externally. Tried ports 8767, 11450 and 55555. All work internally. I even swapped out my server and replaced it with another.

Any ideas?

Jim

Remove the router and disable the firewall, and see if users can connect. If they can, then enable the firewall. Test again. If they can connect, try the router again. If they cannot, then it is a router problem. If they cannot connect with jsut the firewall up, then it's the firewall. Try with just the router also. If they cannot connect, then it is the router.

If they cannot connect with the router removed and firewall disabled, then it is somethign else.

Quote Originally Posted by jvgrago View Post
    Step 3 - Test results The connection test finished without errors!

UDP test details
    The UDP connection test could establish a connection to your TeamSpeak 2 server.

TCP test details
    The TCP connection test could establish a connection to your TeamSpeak 2 server.

HTTP test details
    The HTTP connection test could establish a connection to your TeamSpeak 2 server.
    Though, since this test worked, it seems that it is not a problem with your router or firewall, but something clientside.

Have you tested it from multiple clients?

Also, are you trying to access the server through the externam IP, even though you are on the network? (i.e. You are trying to connect to the server that is hosted on the same comptuer as the client, but trying to connect to the server using your external IP)

Please note, that most routers do not allow you to establish a connection to your own WAN address. Please check this FAQ entry for more information:

http://www.goteamspeak.com/printview.php?id=57

Thread Information