Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    

Problem : Microphone Headset buzz sound and echoing /feedback.

Hello there, I posted this msg also at the Creative forums but I don't expect any response from there.

System :
    Vista 64bit SP1, SB X-Fi Extreme Audio (latest drivers), Asus P5E3, Intel Q6600 @ 2.8, Radeon 4870, 4GB RAM .

*Note :

The exact same things are happening with a second headset that I have (not usb).
    I thought it was malfunctioning and I bought a new one.
    Until I tested both headsets (and teamspeak) on a different computer (with XP).
    Both headsets are in the price range of 50€ (old from Creative new from Logitech)

*Note 2:

Last night I was in a friend place, we used to talk through ts couple months before, np at all. I tested his mic /recording settings/codex etc and he was producing same echo (through headset) minus the noise. Win xp.

*Problem Description :
    1.Microphone produces a low buzzing noise when it’s been used (speakers disabled).
    2.Microphone produces a buzzing noise and echo (reproducing windows sounds, voice and or music through headset) when it’s used with TeamSpeak2 application and a low frequency high tone sound (like pulse) that get repeated and increased with echo. (external speakers speakers disabled).
    3. Microphone its too sensitive it picking and reproduce sounds even I barely hear despite the volume of the mic (in the recording tab)

*Theory :
    Something’s seems to boosting microphone strength or conflict with the mic. Like there’s a second mic working.

*What Sound Devices are Listed :
    First of all, I have an onboard sound card from motherboard (which is disabled through BIOS).
    The sound devices currently listed are :
    High Definition Audio Device (I don’t know what it is, it’s says Microsoft drivers) – Disabled
    SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    In Sound – Playback Tab :
    Digital Output Device (HDMI)
    High Definition Audio Device – Disabled

Speakers
    Logitech USB Headset – Working (microphone headset)
    Speakers
    SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio – Working
    Digital Audio Interface
    SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    Disabled
    In Recording Tab :
    Microphone
    Logitech USB Headset – Working

Microphone SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio, Line-IN, Auxiliary and S/PDIF-In ALL SET to :
    – Currently unavailable /Disabled

No other recording devices are plugged.

* What has been done so far :
    Check BIOS that the onboard audio device is disabled.
    Mute /disable or re enable every audio device windows /all other application sounds through mixer, or change sample rate and bit depth.
    Uninstall /reinstall TeamSpeak2.
    Uninstall /reinstall Creative latest drivers.
    All options to mute microphone playback through speakers are enabled (meaning I am not hearing myself while speaking).
    Microphone is the default (and only) recording device enabled and listed.
    Microphone volume (recording) is at the lowest level.
    All SB effects /enhancements are disabled.
    Change USB Port (with the new headset)

Change pc (working).

HELP PLEASE!!!
    If you need any other information, like dxdiag or pics, sound waves to see how it sounds let me know.

BHKai is offline -= Undercover TeamSpeak Fanatic =-

I am sorry but this don't help at all.
    Before posting i tried a search and i found many posts with you keep posting the same link.

Before posting if you want to help maybe you should read what I wrote ?
    I have done all that before I came here as I describe.

I don't have xp, a faulty /crappy headset neither i have any option of what you hear, or the mic enabled anywhere but the recording tab which is at level 0 and still producing echoes.

I have this problem only with ts not with ventrillo or any other online communication program /feature.

The little sound icon next to your clock. Right click "recording devices">right click on the mic>properties>custom> mic boost on?.
    Click on levels> what is it at?

Now go to playback>right click on speakers> properties>levels>is your mic muted?

yes i did those things as described. mic is muted on playback and on recording is on the lowest level (no boost available for the usb headset).

all other devices are disabled and muted.

btw : creative says can't offer support because my sb-x xtreme audio is bulk and I should seek support from the shop I got it.
    The shop responds they don't offer support only change card if is malfunctioning (which I dont have any evidence for this).

It's possible that other devices like wireless router, cell phone, etc interefe with the mic ? THough i tried to close the router the problem remains.

I found a way to eliminate the buzz sound if I touch my hand to the pc case. But thats dont stop echoing. That occurs also in steam appls.

i found this also from another forum :

It's many years since I last constructed and assembled audio systems, and those were the days of valve circuitry, before the invention of the transistor. A common problem then was the coupling of the 100Hz 'hum' from the power supplies into the amplifiers through what was known as an 'earth loop'. This was produced by earthing two components of the system some distance apart, and the solution was simply to break the loop by disconnecting one earth connection (without producing an electrical hazard - the valve supply voltage was 200-300V).

I had thought that the problem had been overcome in modern solid-state audio systems, but your symptoms sound surprisingly familiar. Note that this is not the result of a fault in any component of the system, but of the manner in which they are connected together.

I may be way off target with this suggestion, but it's easy to check: the 'buzz' waveform should be at the same frequency and similar to that on the output from the power supply or PSU.
    Last edited by byte80; 16-12-2008 at 17:21.

For it to constantly repeat and increase in volume each time it is played means that your mic can here what your speaker is playing and that what your mic hear gets played through your speakers.

Either some setting where you have playback with the mic unmuted, mic is too close to speakers, and/or too sensitive. You can try changing drivers see if it resets settings.

I do not know and I am not around to better evaluate what is going on.

I tried with the onboard soundcard problem remains (with echo and noise).

I think it has something to do with the case because when I touch my finger to the case the noise disappears.
    Something to do with grounding and power supply maybe ?

logitech 120

I experienced the same problem, and followed suggestions. In XP I went to the advanced function and disabled microphone boost. This cleared the buzzing and feedback but I had to whack the microphone slider northwards.

It is indeed a grounding problem!
    This is a weird idea but it works: I connected the grounding(green) wire from a 3 prong electrical cord to the outer metal sheild of the headsets' USB plug and then I plugged in the other end of the electrical to a wall outlet. The humming stopped completely! This has not damaged the laptop or the headset in any way. Remember, if you try this.....only connect to the GROUND/3rd prong wire or you will risk harming the equipment or yourself.

Ive got the same problem...

When searching for issues that I currently have, it appears that I have the same issue as yourself.

I get a low buzz when mic boost is on which is picked up whether or not I have headphones/speakers in.
    I have tried 2 different microphones (both 3.5mm jacks) and get the buzz with both.
    I also get an echo, which doesn't appear to be through audible feedback (ie: i use a headset, checked all software volume levels, not even put in speakers then recorded something but echo is still there.)

I've tried, what I've thought to be everything possible.

One thing after reading what you've put and that I've tried is taking the all components out of the case and putting it onto an antistatic mat.
    The buzzing continued outside of the case, but it appears that the echo dissappeared.
    When putting my hand on the PSU the buzzing then stopped.

So from this I'm assuming that my case is somehow related to the echo (this boggles my mind, but again I assume that the signal is transmitting through the metal case)
    Also that the buzz is not related to the case, but to the rest of the components.

From everything I've read the buzz is something to do with grounding/earthing and because when touching the PSU appears to make it go then I am earthing the PSU case.
    The wall socket is definitely earthed (checked the wiring). The PSU plug is wired correctly. This then leads me to believe that the PSU appears be sending some kind of charge to it's case to ground it. I'm not sure if this is intentional or a fault at this point. I am not going to pull apart the PSU as I'm an infrastructure engineer, not an electrician.

The next thing I am going to do is to replace the brass riser/stand-off screws that attach the motherboard to the case to see if that helps. This will stop any grounding from motherboard to case (hopefully).
    I've checked that's safe electricity wise and it should be, as the motherboard grounds to the PSU through the power cables anyway.

Hopefully this will resolve that funky echo thing. But being as the PSU is still connected to the case the buzz will still be there.
    I will (when I manage to get a 1000W) replace the PSU and test with that and let you know.

If you've anything new please let me know.

Issue Fix

Hey there!

I was having the same problem as you, and it was getting annoying listening to the reverb. What is happening is your computer is monitoring the sound coming from the mic and sending it through your speakers.

HOW TO FIX

1. Right click on the sound in the bottom and click recording devices.
    2. Right click on your microphone and click properties.
    3. Click the custom tab and check "Do Not Monitor".

Hopefully that fixes your problem as it did mine!

tl;dr : Recording Devices -> Properties -> Custom -> Check "Do Not Monitor"

Quote Originally Posted by byte80 View Post
    I tried with the onboard soundcard problem remains (with echo and noise).

I think it has something to do with the case because when I touch my finger to the case the noise disappears.
    Something to do with grounding and power supply maybe ?
    It is indeed a grounding problem!
    This is a weird idea but it works: I connected the grounding(green) wire from a 3 prong electrical cord to the outer metal sheild of the headsets' USB plug and then I plugged in the other end of the electrical to a wall outlet. The humming stopped completely! This has not damaged the laptop or the headset in any way. Remember, if you try this.....only connect to the GROUND/3rd prong wire or you will risk harming the equipment or yourself.

I bought my Asus U46E last August, 2011 and lately I was frustrated that after just a couple of months I began to hear a buzzing static echo sound. I found out that its actually coming from the microphone and when I turn the volume at 0 the irritating sound stops. It really comes and goes but I'm worried that it might lead to something worse. I plan to bring it to the Geek Squad from Best Buy because it's still under warranty but I was hoping some one out there might have the answer and save me some time. Please help...

Thread Information