Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Teamspeak 3 on Windows 2000

I don't know if you guys officially support Windows 2000 Server or not, but I can't run the new TS3 server on it.

The error I get is right on start up. It says it cannot locate the function getaddrinfo in WS2_32.dll.

The Microsoft knowledge base gives a solution for it, however it's nothing that I can do... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955045

Thanks in advance if anyone knows something I can do to make it work, or if support for it might be added eventually. Until then I'll have to keep using TS2.

It's because the 'getaddrinfo' was added in XP not Windows 2000. I spent around 8 hours trying multiple solutions but none worked. Eventually I just got sick of it and installed Windows XP and it worked great. If they update the server to not include that it could work but I doubt they will so your best bet is just to upgrade to XP since 2000 is no longer supported.

Quote Originally Posted by PBMonkey View Post
    I don't know if you guys officially support Windows 2000 Server or not, but I can't run the new TS3 server on it.

The error I get is right on start up. It says it cannot locate the function getaddrinfo in WS2_32.dll.

The Microsoft knowledge base gives a solution for it, however it's nothing that I can do... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955045

Thanks in advance if anyone knows something I can do to make it work, or if support for it might be added eventually. Until then I'll have to keep using TS2.

I am having this same issue. I went to Microsoft and I don't understand the fix they are saying. Has anyone found a fix for this? I am happy running Windows Server 2000 and don't feel like installing a new OS and going through all the setup.

get up to speed and update. You'll be glad you did.

Did you try installing the VC++ redistributable (2005 and/or 2008)?

No I haven't. Can this be found via Microsoft's website? With it being version 2005 or 2008 will it cause any instability within the OS or Crashes?

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyDaze View Post
    No I haven't. Can this be found via Microsoft's website? With it being version 2005 or 2008 will it cause any instability within the OS or Crashes?
    Yes.

If it's supported on W2K, it shouldn't cause any issues like that.

Same problem avec Beta2 under 2K in virtual machine.

Try with : VC++ redistributable : same problem.

So I guess this isn't really going to be compatable to Windows Server 2000 even though in the System Requirements it says it is supported? If I am understanding vduvernet correctly, he is saying that the redistributable isn't fixing the issue.

I try to run TS 3 server on windows 2K too, same problem.

I don't think it will help but I downloaded the dll (WS2_32.dll) on a website (don't remember witch one) I putted it on the TS 3 server instalation patch.
    I had a different error.

I tried with beta 3 too, same problem.

I really hope this will be solve soon, can't install xp on my teamspeak server pc. Too old for that !

I can"t help more

Thank's for any help !

Well, I'm giving up trying options. The redistributable doesn't work. I had the ws2_32.dll on the machine, but the problem is that it is missing code "getaddinfo" and the only way to fix it would be recoding the TS 3 server to use another call line WspiapiGetAddrInfo to point, which is pointless concidering how few people are actually going to be running such an old version of OS. CorruptHawkEyes is right, it is time to upgrade, and I'm sure I will be glad that I did.

Working Fix for TS3 client and Windows 2000

Hi guys. I just stumbled on this thread while I was going to create a new thread to release the fix.

The solution is a bit complicated if you are unfamiliar with dlls but it works fine and if you follow closely the instructions you can't really go wrong.
    The fix was done for the client but it works with the server distribution. I tested it myself with both versions.

Below is a copy of my original thread on the Win2kgaming forum ( a small community dedicated to making games and applications run under Win2k)
    http://win2kgaming.site90.com/phpBB2...php?f=4&p=1531

Teamspeak recently released a new version of teamspeak ( Client 3.0.0-beta2 ) that unfortunately requires a lot of functions unavailable in Win2K. Here's a quick guide to get the teamspeak client running.

MISSING DLL EXPORTS
    KERNEL32.dll - GetVolumePathNamesForVolumeNameW
    ws2_32.dll - getaddrinfo
    wtsapi32.dll - WTSRegisterSessionNotification
    psapi.dll - GetProcessImageFileNameW
    dbghelp.dll - MiniDumpWriteDump

How to fix it:
    Get the KERNEL32.dll, ws_32.dll and wtsapi32.dll from the wrapper pack . Make sure you follow the instructions as the readme of the wrapper pack says.

Quick guide:
    1) Copy original corresponding dlls from WINNT\system32 in teamspeak main folder
    2) Rename them to kernel32_ORG.dll/wtsapi32_ORG.dll/ws2_32_ORG.dll
    3) Place kernel32.dll/wtsapi32.dll/ws2_32.dll from the wrapper zip file in the same folder
    4) Run ExcludeFromKnownDlls.reg if it's your first time using the wrapper.
    5) Get Dbghelp.dll, unzip and put it in the same folder.
    6) Get psapi.dll and put it in the same folder.
    7) Run Teamspeak Client !

WARNING: It's still strongly recommended to read the wrapper readme first before you start toying with your dlls.
    If you have any other Win2K related problem be sure to visit the Win2kGaming forum, we have fix for practically anything ranging from Crysis to GTA 4.
    Last edited by Arkan; 10-06-2010 at 13:05.

Thank you for that !

I'll try it as soon as possible and post my feedback.

Arkan, thank you very much for posting a fix. I have already upgraded to Windows Server 2003. I am sure it will help others out though!

followed your instructions, 5 minutes to do it, works perfectly !!!

Thank you very much, you save the life of a 12 years old laptop !

Thread Information