Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

[SOLVED] Filesharing and Avatars

EDIT: I will try to clean up this documentation. I was written without sleep since release of Beta 1 and is being updated as more information is found out
    I am NOT a Technical Documentation Writer nor do I worl for TS. I am just another fan-boy like you.

Over the Chrismas break I will have time away from being online where I will try to make a cleaner, easier to understand more condensed version of this document. If you have any information to add or would like to give a hand some how please drop me a line through the forums here.

Before the break I had time to make a HOWTO Video. View the thread HERE http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=47767

After messing with this since release I finally figured it out and a big thanks to the peeps at The KHuDA Clan and the Novare Res WoW Guild (Alliance US Durotan) for dealing with the up and down TS3 for the last or so.

This HOWTO is assuming you got your server up and running but the Avatars and Uploads are not fully functional

SYMPTOMS: This will probably only help you if you have these symptoms
    - You can set your avatar, you can see it fine but everyone else sees WAITING FOR DOWNLOAD/UPLOAD
    - You seem to be able to upload files to your Server, you see them on the server but they are 0KB or you get a Transfer Time Out error and then they disappear.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

MAKE SURE IPS FOR TRANSFER, QUERY and VOICE are all the same Though I am sure we have editable varriables for these paramaters for a reason.

To start off you NEED to have the smaller serveradmin token you got when you started the server. Not the long token you used as soon as you connected for the first time.

Example of the one you need
    Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
                          I M P O R T A N T
                  Server Query Admin Acccount created
             loginname= "serveradmin", password= "zbH4qRt7"
    This only shows ONCE when you start the server the first time. So make sure you are doing it in console for Windows and Linux where you can see the output. Linux users, that means no nohup or &. Either use screen or in the current shell window.

If you did not copy this information down the first time you are going to have to start all over again.

BIG WARNING!!! If your server query tool pass word has non alpha numeric characters ( Example />(^%# ) use the manual login option in the Server Query Tool and remove the line with login and password

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The big problem I am seeing is that Server Admins are just starting the process, logging in to the server and using the long Auth Token and stopping there. But after that you got one more big thing to do to make you a true admin.

Big thanks to Jwevrsn in this post about using the Server Querry Tool
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=46779

Follow his 2nd post steps

Now launch the Server Query tool CTRL + SHIFT + V

Click the icon in the top right corner and select login command.

In the box enter your serveradmin password produced earlier.

Code:
    login serveradmin PN7QBFeq
    use sid=1
    servergroupaddclient sgid=2 cldbid=2
    At the bottom of the screen if you typed it right you should see

<16:47:32> "XXXX" was added to server group "Admin Server Query (2)" by "serveradmin from XXXX".
    Level 100!
    Once you have Level 100 access you are good to go on the juicy part.

SETUP THE SERVER TO ALLOW FILE TRANSFERS BOTH WAYS

BIG EDIT: TS3 Server Beta 2+ Has the propper variable set to 128849018881 But double check

-In your TS Client right click your Virtual Server Name (Looks like the Top Channel) and select EDIT VIRTUAL SERVER

-In the new window select MORE (Bottom Left), More options should open up below.

-Select the transfers tab

-You will notice the UPLOAD BANDWIDTH LIMIT is set to 1. Set it to 128849018881
    If this is grayed out for you. You did not use the server query tool correctly as explained by the amazing Jwevrsn. Without this part the rest cant happen.
    YOUR ALMOST THERE!

Now you will notice the new TS3 has a very confusing permission system. Well if you stare at it long enough it makes crystal clear sense and you will realize you were overcomplicating it yourself. I say this because I think I started to go bald at one point these last few days and then it all made sense.

Each channel has permissions. When the channel is created it copies the new channel permissions from a template.

PROVISION THE CHANNEL FOR SHARING

- Choose one channel you want to allow filesharing for. You can do more later if you want.

- Right Click the channel and select Channel Permissions.

- In the new window in the right pane/section you will notice the bottom option is FILE TRANSFER. Right click that and select ADD PERMISSION GROUP

- Check off Browse and List

- You will notice all the numbers (Probably 100) These are interger weights or as they were called in one post "Pecking order" The weights or numbers must be equal too or lower than the clients given access for them to have whatever permission you set up.

This may be aconfusing concept so I will give an example in post#2
    Last edited by KoldFusion; 23-12-2009 at 20:59. Reason: Added BIG WARNING for non alpha numeric characters in Server Query Tool notes

The server starts with 3 server groups.

Server Admin
    Normal

EXAMPLE Say you want to assign these settings to the three default groups:

Server Admins:
    total download upload control
    can use avatars

Normal
    Can only download
    can use avatars

Can use avatars
    no filesharing

SETUP:

Now that you have allowed filesharing in that channel set all the File Transfer weights to 75 except for Download and Browse. Set those to 50, as 50 is the default power of a Normal user and you want them to be able to see the files and download them.

Once you start doing this, the weight system (Integer Value) should start making sense.

Once you edited that upload number from 1 to 80000 avatars will start working. But they wont for Guest users as the permission for Max Avatar File Size In Bytes is set to OFF by default (Greyed out).

To enable guest avatars (Which potentially could be an abuse hole) you would
    -click PERMISSIONS up top of the client.
    -Select the Guest group (The one without a green icon on the left)
    -In the Permission pane (right side) select the CLIENT tree and expand it.
    -Select Max client avatar size in bytes, right click it and add permission
    -Add the value of 25600 to match the "Normal" group

People that had tried to upload a Avatar previously and failed will need to right click their own name, delete avatar and try again.

I will try to maintain this Doc for you all, I also plan on coming back and tidying it up, I did not want to go to sleep without spreading the word on how I fixed this. I hope it helps and if you have anything to add or think needs to be changed please PM me on the forums here. please post questions in this thread to keep everything tight and to help others.

I would also appreciate big e-hugs and fresh coffee send to my PO Box as I haven't slept since release.
    Last edited by KoldFusion; 21-12-2009 at 12:55.

actually the default value is -1 which does mean unlimited.

Hi,

don't work here, get the following message:

<12:33:41> insufficient client permissions (gescheitert an b_client_issue_client_query_command (20624/0x5090))

Any idea?

TW

Quote Originally Posted by dssthewanderer View Post
    Hi,

<12:33:41> insufficient client permissions (gescheitert an b_client_issue_client_query_command (20624/0x5090))

Any idea?

TW
    I believe I was getting that error when I was trying to use the Server Query Tool and had the wrong password? Is that where you are getting the error?

Thats where I gave up and started from the beginning because I had 5 or more of those passwords and wasnt sure which one was the right one.

Refer to this post for How to obtain complete control (2 passwords/tokens) http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=46779

Quote Originally Posted by dssthewanderer View Post
    Hi,

Any idea?

TW
    Same Problem

File Transfers always times out
    A new file was created in the internal Folder, but has 0 Bytes

You guys need to say WHAT YOU ARE DOING before you get this error

Code:
    Are you using the server query tool?

Are you adjusting or adding a permission?

I am willing to bet you guys are either
    a) using wrong password
    b) Didnt bother with the server query tool to add yourself as Uber Admin level 100 users.

Step 1. install the server
    Step 2 Configure your ini file
    Step 3 Start your server and record the small password for the server querry tool and your long auth token
    Step 4 Connect to your server
    Step 5 Click PERMISSIONS --> USE TOKEN
    -- You are now a level 75 admin
    Step 6 use the server query tool to elevate your level 75 access to 100

Questions up to this point are covered in this thread http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=46779

if you have not done these steps you cant go anywhere else.

ONLY AFTER YOU SEE
    <16:47:32> "XXXX" was added to server group "Admin Server Query (2)" by "serveradmin from XXXX".
    Can you adjust Upload Download bandwidth and move on with fixing your problem. Please keep Server Query issues in that post.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by sAsCh-A* View Post
    Same Problem

File Transfers always times out
    A new file was created in the internal Folder, but has 0 Bytes
    SOLUTION?

do you have a / or % type character in your password?

I get this error when I try to use the server query tool and use wrong name and password. But I did notice in my 4 times building then deleting the server to test my solutions that if a password had a non alphanumeric character in it you had to switch it a bit.

Select manual login and enter your username and password in the required fields in the server query tool.

Remove the

LOGIN line from what you type in the query tool as you are now using manual mode.

So instead of

Code:
    login serveradmin PN7QBFeq
    use sid=1
    Enter your name and password (superadmin) in the fields and do this

Code:
    use sid=1

Has this thread helped anyone? It has been proven 4 times over to work but if it is not helping I may as well delete it
    Last edited by KoldFusion; 21-12-2009 at 13:57.

Hello,

all went fine, i am admin server query all permissions are set, but i can't upload.

See screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Got reinstalled the Server!

Like Kold says, i got the wrong Serveradmin Passwort

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jhonny View Post
    Hello,

all went fine, i am admin server query all permissions are set, but i can't upload.

See screenshot.
    Excellent. Now did you do this part (its not permissions. Its setting the limits of speed for transfers)

SETUP THE SERVER TO ALLOW FILE TRANSFERS BOTH WAYS
    -In your TS Client right click your Virtual Server Name (Looks like the Top Channel) and select EDIT VIRTUAL SERVER

-In the new window select MORE (Bottom Left), More options should open up below.

-Select the transfers tab

-You will notice the UPLOAD BANDWIDTH LIMIT is set to 1. Set it to 800000 (About 1/10th of 1Meg up service I think?)

If this is grayed out for you. You did not use the server query tool correctly as explained by the amazing Jwevrsn. Without this part the rest cant happen.

Quote Originally Posted by KoldFusion View Post
    Excellent. Now did you do this part (its not permissions. Its setting the limits of speed for transfers)

Yes i have.
    I can tell you that, yesterday after i installed the beta 2 client and server the upload was fine i have uploadet a 25mb file and could download it again, but i couldnt change the name of the server and other things.
    then i have done all the things from your posts and now i can do everything but not upload files xDD

Sry for my english
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jhonny View Post
    Yes i have.
    I can tell you that, yesterday after i installed the beta 2 client and server the upload was fine i have uploadet a 25mb file and could download it again, but i couldnt change the name of the server and other things.
    then i have done all the things from your posts and now i can do everything but not upload files xDD

Sry for my english
    Silly question, but have you restarted the teamspeak3 server since the changes? If not. Stop the server, delete you FILES directory and everything in it. Restart the server (The FILES directories get recreated)

Is your File sharing and query ports and IPs bound?

Example of my ini file.

machine_id=khudats
    default_voice_port=9987
    voice_ip=67.64.92.165
    licensepath=
    filetransfer_port=30033
    filetransfer_ip=67.64.92.165
    query_port=10011
    query_ip=67.64.92.165
    dbplugin=ts3db_sqlite3
    dbpluginparameter=
    dbsqlpath=sql/
    dbsqlcreatepath=create_sqlite/
    logpath=logs
    logquerycommands=1
    (Not real IP, Sorry guys 32 slots aint enough to share)

And your English is great, Don't pay attention to those people who think everyone should speak english, I am sorry I dont speak german

On that note. Can someone take this guide and translate it to German (feel free to add or change stuff) for all our German brothers out there, for without them TS3 would still be Vaporware

AFTER THOUGHT: Did you set the file quotas to -1 (unlimited)
    check client and channel privileges

Hi,

if i tell the truth...i dont know how to restart the server
    i have done all with Putty and startet the server with :
    screen -d -m ./ts3server_linux_x86

and this is my ini-file, the ip is the ip from my v-server from Strato ?!? :
    and what should i write to machine_id=
    you have khudats

machine_id=
    default_voice_port=1337
    voice_ip=91.192.210.47
    licensepath=
    filetransfer_port=30033
    filetransfer_ip=85.214.35.161
    query_port=10011
    query_ip=85.214.35.161
    logpath=logs
    logquerycommands=1

and thank you for your patience

set file transfer IP the same as you have for voice. All three IPs should be the same from what I can tell.

Heres how to work your SSH (Telnet is hardly ever used any more)

type in console

Code:
    ps x
    This shows you your running processes

you will see screen and the ts3server. on the left there is a PID # (Process ID)

Type

Code:
    kill -9 XXXX
    where XXXX is the PID of Screen, (You can do the ts3 PID instead but then you would have to kill screen too)

Heres the basics of "screen"

When you type "screen" into the Linux console it creates a virtual console. One that you can "Detach" from and leave running while your not there. The reason is say you start TS3 server in Berlin from your home in Amsterdam using PuTTy. if you just type the ./ts3ser--- command the server will die once you close your putty window. by using SCREEN you can hit ALT+A then the D key (To DEtach)

Say youve messed up a lot and you have 8 screens running when you type ps x

type in
    screen -wipe

to reatach to a screen type
    screen -r

If you named your SCREEN it makes it easier to reatach if you have many SCREEN sessions running.

And that is Screen 101

Do some reading on screen. Mainly how to detach, name and reatatch to them
    Last edited by KoldFusion; 21-12-2009 at 16:04.

Thread Information