Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Arrow [VIDEO] HowTo Install TS3 Server on Linux w/ Avatars and Transfers working. STICKY?

Edit by mod
    Please don't use this outdated script anymore! The script got an overhaul long time ago.
    Please use the minimal or startscript instead

Updated Video Coming "soon"

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS... SEARCH THE FORUMS FOR YOUR ERROR MESSAGE. SOMEONE PROBABLY HAS ALREADY HAD THE PROBLEM AND ANSWERED IT. Posting new replies in this thread for problems that have already been addressed is polluting the Google and Forums searching.

READ THE SUPPORT RULES BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS http://forum.teamspeak.com/announcement.php?f=100&a=51
    By creating NEW THREADS and NEW REPLIES you are not only going to have to wait longer for your Server to work, but you wreck it for the next guy who actually does search and finds 20 threads on the same subject that was answered correctly in one of those posts

I made this video real quick to demonstrate how you can have a fully functional Teamspeak 3 Linux Beta 5+ Server in under ten minutes in response to my thread here.

WATCH IN HD!
    YouTube it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8SgpKjK__Q

This Video uses the Teamspeak 3 Beta5 32bit Linux package

The real byte conversion for 1.5 Megs was "1572864" For Avatars

The code I used for Server Query Tool is
    Code:
    login serveradmin YoUrPaSSwOrD
    use sid=1
    servergroupaddclient sgid=2 cldbid=2
    The Permissions 100 thread by jwevrsn is here (I said Permissions 101)

the ts3server.ini file i used consisted of... (WARNING DO NOT SAVE IN DOS MODE). If you saved it in DOS Mode use dos2unix ts3server.ini
    Code:
    machine_id=
    default_voice_port=9987
    voice_ip=68.68.68.68
    licensepath=
    filetransfer_port=30033
    filetransfer_ip=68.68.68.68
    query_port=10011
    query_ip=68.68.68.68
    dbplugin=ts3db_sqlite3
    dbpluginparameter=
    dbsqlpath=sql/
    dbsqlcreatepath=create_sqlite/
    logpath=logs
    logquerycommands=1
    I hope this helps some people.

-Annotations for shell commands I used added. There is more than one way to skin a cat, And I like to learn all the ways so if you have ay tips let me know. I am a self taught Linux user since about 2000 and if you got nifty tricks I want to learn em. Or just a cleaner way of doing things (like extracting and deleting source tar ball in one step )

Atatched is a copy of a propper INI file not in DOS mode. Once you open it in notepad it will be in DOS Mode. Edit it with a real text editor like UltraEdit or on the remote machine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dante696; 21-02-2011 at 12:23.

Hey man,

Great video, howevere my ips are listening on 0.0.0.0: port

Code:
    2009-12-24 03:01:37.893893|INFO    |FileManager   |   | listening on 0.0.0.0:30033
    2009-12-24 03:01:37.940169|INFO    |VirtualServer |  1| listening on 0.0.0.0:9987
    2009-12-24 03:01:37.941637|INFO    |Query         |   | listening on 0.0.0.0:10011

Whats a solution for this? I am using the ini file you put up, and put my servers IP in all 3 slots.

EDIT

Also, my server can not connect to the license validation server, I can only get it fully running by deleting the license key.

Quote Originally Posted by 1josh13 View Post
    Hey man,

Great video, howevere my ips are listening on 0.0.0.0: port

Code:
    2009-12-24 03:01:37.893893|INFO    |FileManager   |   | listening on 0.0.0.0:30033
    2009-12-24 03:01:37.940169|INFO    |VirtualServer |  1| listening on 0.0.0.0:9987
    2009-12-24 03:01:37.941637|INFO    |Query         |   | listening on 0.0.0.0:10011

Whats a solution for this? I am using the ini file you put up, and put my servers IP in all 3 slots.

EDIT

Also, my server can not connect to the license validation server, I can only get it fully running by deleting the license key.
    Your server running on those IP's is fine. It should not affect it. You most likely need to edit the DB details for those.

On the LIC file, you need to open TCP port 2008 outgoing. Your server needs to be able to talk to the TS lic server on TCP port 2008.

You most likely need to edit the DB details for those.
    Sorry what does this mean?

Databse? I have no database set up for it, I just unzipped the file and ran the server, no setting up any kinda of database.

I had to specify "voice_ip" etc. on the commandline for those parameters to work as listening ips - they are not read correctly from your .ini file (bug?).

Quote Originally Posted by esembe View Post
    I had to specify "voice_ip" etc. on the commandline for those parameters to work as listening ips - they are not read correctly from your .ini file (bug?).
    You might have opened your .ini file localy is DOS mode which has (invisible) characters that messes with the ini file initialization.

use

Code:
    pico ts3server.ini
    And hand bomb the values in. I use pico in this example cause almost every server I have seen has it.

When your done manualy typing them in (Or Copy Pasta)
    ALT+X then hit Y then ENTER.

Allrighty.. 12 hour drive through the snow storms to be with family this Xmas, wish me luck

If you open the ini file you used in NOTEPAD do you see little squares and in the whole ini file on one line?
    Like this picture

Here is a direct copy of mine (in zip) with edited IP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	badini.JPG 
Views:	2437 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	1936  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by KoldFusion; 24-12-2009 at 10:35.

Well you are right (and i'm using vi already ) - the file is in dos mode.

in that case

Code:
    dos2unix ts3server.ini
    should help - will try later or tomorrow.

Im a bit confused about that ip adress since my router has dyndns adress should there be dns adress like name.com or something like localhost or 127.0.0.1 instead of my internet ip couse my internet ip isnt static

Thanks Koldfusion, this will help when i start up my NPO server on a dedicated linux server

thanks for the info on permissions too, makes more sense now.

question though: whats with the lisence key you had? it say'd DAT file.

could you explain what you did?
    Last edited by florian_fr40; 26-03-2012 at 08:39.

Good post. File transfers and avatars worked straight away for us.

Quote Originally Posted by azzy101 View Post
    question though: whats with the lisence key you had? it say'd DAT file.

could you explain what you did?
    When you register for a R NPO license there will be instructions with that

Quote Originally Posted by KoldFusion View Post
    When you register for a R NPO license there will be instructions with that
    ahh that sucks, the email i registered with for my organisation dosent give me an option to open the attachment.
    Sorry for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by azzy101 View Post
    ahh that sucks, the email i registered with for my organisation dosent give me an option to open the attachment.
    Sorry for asking.
    If you can VIEW the file, copy and paste the info into a file called licensekey.dat in the root directory of your server or where ever you decide to put it. If you put it anywhere else other than the root directory make sure you specify the path in the .ini file.

If your admins do not let you even view attachments you might want to ask them for a book of stamps as gimped e-mail is about as usefull as snail-mail. (Yes that is a poke at your orginizations admin policies).

Quote Originally Posted by NeoNe View Post
    Im a bit confused about that ip adress since my router has dyndns adress should there be dns adress like name.com or something like localhost or 127.0.0.1 instead of my internet ip couse my internet ip isnt static
    The Short. I myself would go with the IP, But I dont see any reason why your DynDNS wouldent work
    I am only going to touch on this very quick... I hope... EDIT: that didnt work

DNS names like khuda.net are just human readable versions of IP addresses. khuda.net resolves to a real IP and for anything on that server under the KHuDA flag always gets bound to that IP. We do this because we have other services/servers running on the same physical box. If we didnt specify IP binding we would get 127.0.0.1 and 0.0.0.0 conflicts left and right when starting multiple services on the same machine. Not binding IP addresses is a sign of Dirty Administration and just plain lazy.

-Your clients that connect to your server will use your Dynamic DNS
    -Your internal IP (Your computer and routers IP IE: 127.X.X.X or 192.X.X.X) These are reserved IP address ranges for local networks (for simplicity sake) called class A and C IP addresses. Computers on the internet wont be able to find other computers by these addresses BUT computers on your LAN will use these to find each other.
    -The IP address your modem grabbed for your router (IE:68.146.210.1) is your external internet IP.

Cable companies dont tend to renew/refresh IPs very often. The only time my cable modems IP changes is when the power is off in my house or modem for over a day. DSL companies tend to be a comlete pain in the ass when it comes to IP Address Renewing and from most people I talk to eventualy either get cable or pay the $$ for a static IP.

So now that we understand

- Class A and C IP ranges or LOCAL only
    - Class B IP ranges are enternal (Out in the big WWW)
    - Domain Names are primarily for humans and should always resolve to a real Class B IP Address

#1 Bind your TS3 Server to your external IP. Usually I get this from my routers Status screen "Linksys" if it doesnt change often.

-The reason is, when the server starts up, if you bind it to your DynDNS the server will just convert your DynDNS to a real IP anyway, once that IP changes you will need to restart your server again or specify the IP again via Server Query or other means because the server will be using the old IP (or change it server side via Query or Client). So DynDNS is a moot point on the server side. But good for clients.

#2 Your clients (people connecting to your server) will be using the DynDNS address as this will be easier for them.

#3 My Linksys routers allows for DynDNS intergration, so if your IP changes the router automatically tells the service the new IP. If this is the case you might be abe to use your blahhh.dyndns.org instead of the IP address. But you will see the server just binds it to a Numerical IP anyway.

I don't recomend you run a server from home. Running a poor server might just give TeamSpeak a bad reputation if you get excessive packet loss on your end. Also you cant use torrents and such unless you have some very nice QoS (Quality of Service) filtering. If you must run it from home please let people know you are on a home connection.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by florian_fr40; 26-03-2012 at 08:38.

Help

Hey kold.

I've tryed all you said but the teamspeak server still don't work, i got all things toy uploaded, but still no success.

What the hell am i doing wrong.
    Is there some way you can help me?

Teamspeak should feature this video on its main site. Great help tryed for days to install ts3 watched this and installed it within 10 minutes! Thanks!

Thread Information