Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    

Packaging Teamspeak 3 Client for Ubuntu

Hey all,

Anyone know if there will be a Teamspeak 3 repository for Ubuntu?

If not, I'm interested in packaging it up for Ubuntu Lucid so it'll have nicer desktop integration (and an easier install) like Teamspeak 2 had. This would mean publishing it through Launchpad ( http://launchpad.net ), so I'd like to know what licence the Linux client is available under, so I know if I'm legally allowed to do this?

Hey,

as long as you don't modify the binary file and as long as you make sure our license is displayed during installation and must be accepted to proceed you may do this.
    You think my answer is stupid ? Read This:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

In a world without fences and walls - who needs windows and gates ?

Is any progress made on this. I'm running it on Ubuntu 10.04 and would love to have it integrated better. It's a bit of a hassle to get it started, and I'd really love to add it to my AWN dock for a quick launch.

A nice .deb package that we could grab through synaptic would be awesome. It would be easy to keep everyone updated too!

If we could have the client and server in synaptic I would be so happy

Keep us posted!

I've actually been a bit busy since my last post, and haven't had much time to look into this, however I now have plenty of free time, so I'm going to give it another go.

A few things to note though: I've never done packaging before, and the fact it's not the source code I'm using makes things a little trickier.

At the moment (not ruling anything out, let's see how the client goes first though) I have no interest in packaging the server. I do use the server though, so should it go well, I imagine I may look into doing it.

Lastly, unlikely it'll be available through Synaptic. To get it into Synaptic, ideally it needs to be published on http://Launchpad.net, which will allow a user-addable repository for Ubuntu. The thing about this is that Launchpad only offer free hosting for free, open source software, which Teamspeak 3 doesn't fall under. Although I can't find the right link now, when I originally looked into this, you *can* host closed-source software by buying an appropriate licence. Basically, to get everything going Synaptic-wise, either Teamspeak 3 needs a drastic change to FOSS (HIGHLY unlikely), the Teamspeak guys can foot the bill for Launchpad code hosting (again, I don't see this happening), or I need to find a place I can distribute a repository for free, regardless of the type of software.

Thought I'd let people know how this is coming along.

Basically, what I've got so far is a script that will run the .run file (the Linux client installer file), and then creates an entry for the Teamspeak client under /usr/share/applications (which in turn populates GNOME menu, and apparently KDE's menu, but I don't use KDE so haven't tried). You can then hit Applications > Internet > Teamspeak 3 and badabing-badaboom, you have Teamspeak 3.

Some things that still need doing are firstly, an icon for the menu. I don't have one, and I don't know if I'm allowed to use the Teamspeak logo (the same one as that which appears in the system tray). If anyone knows if this is available for use, and where to get a copy of it from, let me know.

The other thing is that I need to make it stop creating the start menu items if the user declines the licence.

After that, it just needs packaging up into a .deb file, and it'll be done. Updates will be done through Help > Update, and it won't be available through a repository any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyJunky View Post
    Lastly, unlikely it'll be available through Synaptic.
    A search reveals that the TeamSpeak 2 client and server are available through synaptic, why not TeamSpeak 3?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCow View Post
    A search reveals that the TeamSpeak 2 client and server are available through synaptic, why not TeamSpeak 3?
    Simply because: I'm not that clever. I'm not ruling it out, but since I've never done anything like this, I certainly won't be pushing to get it in the repositories any time soon, until I fully understand the way everything works with licences, the way updates are pushed, etc.

To create a shortcut and show the ts3 license while installing the package you can use the control files that are included in your package, the sun-java6-jre package would be an example for a license agreement in the preinst control file.

the postinst and postrm files can be used to create a shortcut (or you just package the shortcut within the installable files)

you can easily create a .tar.gz file containing the client and the menu entry, package it as a using alien and then adjust the settings you need by editing the control files of the package

PS: .deb files are just archives containing 2 tar.gz archives to split data und control scripts

Adding a License text saved as a Template:
    http://www.fifi.org/doc/debconf-doc/tutorial.html#AEN22

Build a package from a folder (need "The final step"):
    http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/L...-deb-packages/
    Last edited by skuemmel; 22-05-2010 at 14:36. Reason: add links

ubuntu shorcut

Hey guys, ive been trying to add a shortcut to my applications menu in ubuntu (gnome) but i cant seem to get it working, any ideas? ive tried adding a new item in the edit menu area, and browsing to the script that launches ts3, but it doesnt start, ive tried adding sh and bash but failed

Hi Elitesko,

check the Properties of your Shortcut with right MouseButton.
    Under AccessRigths mark "Execute File as Programm"

I translated it from a German language so it should be similar like described above

P.S. your Problem is Offtopic, next time open a own threat pls

regards dabu

Thanks dabu, ill try that

Howdy, I have successfully packaged the TeamSpeak 3 binaries for i386. To install you have to accept the license. It is available in my repo.

Add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:
    # Timberwolf Programmers Repository
    deb http://www.ip-programs.com/apt wolf tools other games

Then run this:
    apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 7F3EF2FEEAFCF91A && apt-get update

Then to install you can run:
    apt-get install ts3-client

or use Synaptic Package Manager and search ts3-client.

UPDATE:
    You can now use "apt-key adv --keyserver www.ip-programs.com --recv-keys 7F3EF2FEEAFCF91A" to get the key.

UPDATE:
    This is no longer valid install instructions.
    Add this to your sources.list:
    deb http://apt.ip-programs.com linux main games net

And use this for the key:
    apt-key adv --keyserver www.ip-programs.com --recv-keys 1BCCE0BF

There is now amd64 installation. Also on 7/16 I am switching domain names. I will let you know what the new domain is then.

The new domain is twprogrammers.com
    Last edited by twprogrammers; 16-07-2013 at 05:13.

Thread Information