Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by florian_fr40 View Post
    Sad news...

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_lmd View Post
    Sad news...
    Why? Just say Windows to hide the tray icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan1200 View Post
    Why? Just say Windows to hide the tray icon.
    I don't need a tray icon. And I can't revert to old behaviour. That's why it's sad.

I don't need a tray icon. And I can't revert to old behaviour. That's why it's sad.
    with the command line option you have the old behaviour, just that there is an trayicon also. but since you dont need it... you dont need to care about it.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Ludwig View Post
    with the command line option you have the old behaviour, just that there is an trayicon also. but since you dont need it... you dont need to care about it.
    I care about it because I don't like things like this added to server software and I am worring what will happen next. GUI and 3D graphics?

I care about it because I don't like things like this added to server software and I am worring what will happen next. GUI and 3D graphics?
    Where is the problem? This is a feature for the Windows servers, and the Windows operating system always have the ability to show a tray icon. If you don't want to see it, say this Windows.

For the most users this is useful to see at the tray icon that the server is still running.

Where is the problem? This is a feature for the Windows servers, and the Windows operating system always have the ability to show a tray icon. If you don't want to see it, say this Windows.

For the most users this is useful to see at the tray icon that the server is still running.
    This is a console application. Tray icons are not native to console applications. Console application can be run as a service using native windows tools (instsrv/srvany) or more advanced (i.e. firedaemon pro). Adding different GUI to console applications is a very bad idea. For example, in non-interactive mode (when run as a service under limited user) it will not be able to register tray icon and will get an error. I have no idea how this error will be handled. And I have no idea why it was even required to add icon to console server application. It's not a GUI tool that anyone should be able to run on their laptop. It's a server application that is intended to be run by someone who has some system administration skills. Especially during beta test. There already a lot of people who are trying to run SQL queries in their TS3 client serverquery windows.

PS: If server crashes, tray icon will not be removed. So, it's not a point. Instead, a windows service interface should be used to restart server upon crash and send administrative event.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3ak0ut View Post
    Very nice, right I read beta 23 was safe. But I want the finish version directly now as it's annoying to update all the time ^^
    Beta23 is not safe from the circulating exploit, beta25 removed the vulnerability.

@ shadow_lmd: Many services use a tray icon, maybe to show the status or give some informations. But of course it is good to tun the TS3 server with limited rights. Lets see how TS Systems resolved this thing .

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_lmd
    PS: If server crashes, tray icon will not be removed.
    Just hover the mouse over the tray icon, Windows will detect that the application is crashed and remove the icon. I am sure that the most users know that .

Just hover the mouse over the tray icon, Windows will detect that the application is crashed and remove the icon. I am sure that the most users know that .
    Yes, but until you do that, you will never know. So, it's not very indicative.

TS3 developers can't fix a windows issue... It's not their fault that "it's not very indicative"

If server crashes, how will it send a message to windows that it crashed?....

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTKA View Post
    If server crashes, how will it send a message to windows that it crashed?....
    Windows services system can detect that process exited and restart it, additionally sending administrative alert or just logging it to event log.

Please add in channels permission inheritance soon. =) I know you said you were going to do it, but... soon please? =)

I have issues such as I allow my membership to create temp channels, everytime they do, there are NO perms/settings on the channel at all. So I have guests that can join the server (which I want), then join those channels and in general, cause issues (which I of course do not want). This has happened, more than once unfortunately.

Sure, the channel admin can ban them, etc... but that's if they happen to be around, etc. It's a just a pain, where there doesn't need to be a pain.

This is a console application.
    This *is* the basic problem in the first place - it should be a
    native Windows service, not a console app - this is a *server*
    software after all, no user space application.

There isn't a console window needed at all...

Look at Apache.... that is the way to go.

Thread Information