Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

How to restrict channel access (aka user join a specific channel)

The question often return and it is not easy to explain the permission system of Teamspeak 3 simply with words.

It is very powerful but sometimes maybe a bit complicated.

I present here to you 2 solutions in several others, to restrict access to a channel.
    In a second step, you have the opportunity to give some power to CA.

First of all:
    You have to us the Advanced permission mode : Settings > Options > "Application" part > check Advanced permissions system

#1 - Restrict channel access by Join Permission :

1 - In the Guest server group remove these permissions :
    • b_channel_join_permanent
    • b_channel_join_semi_permanent
    • b_channel_join_temporary

(i_channel_join_power if it's necessary)

2 - Create a new Channel Group with these permissions :
    • b_channel_join_permanent
    • b_group_is_permanent

If you want allow access for some specific channels (public channel)
    1 - Right click on channel
    2 - Channel Permissions
    3 - Add b_channel_join_permanent

Now, you have to switch each users on a desired channel and add them in the new Channel Group.

#2 - Restrict channel access by Join Power :

1 - In the Guest server group:
    • Remove i_channel_join_power (if it's needed)

2 - Create a new channel group with these permissions :
    • i_channel_join_power (e.g. value = 10)
    • b_group_is_permanent

3 - For each specific channels you have to add this permission :
    • i_channel_needed_join_power (e.g. value = 10)

Please note : is there a sub channel currently you also have to add the needed power.

Now, you have to switch each users on a desired channel and add them in the new Channel Group.

How to give the permission to CA that moved his users :

Of course the Channel Admin (channel group must has the same join permissions)
    For example, you can use the Normal (server group) for each CA

In this server group Add i_move_power (e.g. value = 25)
    Attention, after that All CA users can move every one on the server. Just say to all CA "don't cause problem or no channel "

#3 - Make a half public server:
    This case is specific. You have several channels without any restriction (like a public channel), and several other for some specific groups.
    Of course it is out of the question set for each channel a join power permission.

But you can use the negativ join power for that

1 - Set the negativ permission
    For the Guest (or default) server group and other server groups who should not access the reserved channels :
    • i_channel_join_power = -1

2 - For the public channels
    • Right click > Edit channel > Permissions tab > Join = -1

Now for the other channel and members group the join power is useless.

Of course you have a lot of possibilities to make a restriction. This tuto show you a simple configuration like a line of thought.
    Last edited by florian_fr40; 20-01-2012 at 08:02.

Nice job Florian! PM a dev and ask them if they can sticky this

Would still like to have my password + b_channel_join_ignore_password option...

Quote Originally Posted by Screech View Post
    Would still like to have my password + b_channel_join_ignore_password option...
    Yes you can use this method, the problem that you need set password for all channels and sub-channels ...
    Last edited by florian_fr40; 04-08-2010 at 13:28.

Very nice, informative videos.
    But one may hear where youre from Florian

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    But one may hear where youre from Florian
    You talk about my accent ?
    I work for Hong Kong society, you would hear their accent ...

Quote Originally Posted by florian_fr40 View Post
    Yes you can use this method, the problem that you need set password for all channels and sub-channels ...
    No, you can't set b_channel_join_ignore_password for channel groups. Use to be able to, until they "fixed" it because some people were confused by it.

Thanks alot for you videos

Now I finally could setup, the things I need.

Cheers

Channel Join permissions

Hi

Now before people flame, yes i know tutorials have been posted about this but none answer my rather specific question.

Now onto the question. I want to restrict channels somehow. Essentiall what i want to achieve is to be able to assign people what channels they can and cant join. I cant use join power as people need to be able to access multiple channels (there are about 40 channels) and i cant use passwords because 1. ill never remember them all and 2. people are bound to tell others.

Eg.

Channel 1
    Channel 2
    Channel 3

User A
    User B
    User C

User A has access to Channel 1 & 2, User B has access to channel 2 & 3 where as User C only has access to channel 2

Is this possible and if so can someone post a step by step guide to do this

Thanks

P.S if anyone has any solutions to stop people changing their name once on the server that would be great - ive found a solution to identify who the person is by using server groups but it would be far easier if it were possible to stop them changing their name entirely
    Last edited by Ragonz; 18-08-2011 at 21:53.

Go to your server groups editing area and set individual join powers for each server group. Then give A B C different server groups
    Have channel 1 require 10 channel 2 require 50 and channel 3 require 100

have group A contain 100 join power so it can enter all 3
    Have group b contain 50 talk power so it can join only 2 channels
    and have group c contain 10 talk power so it can only enter 1 channel

i know you want to be specific for each member but to be honest that's the only way i think will solve your problem. Or set passwords for each channel and give the passwords to members you want to have join that channel that works too

Quote Originally Posted by Ragonz
    I cant use join power as people need to be able to access multiple channels (there are about 40 channels) and i cant use passwords because 1. ill never remember them all and 2. people are bound to tell others.
    So if I understand you, you have some channel like "public channel" and others like "restricted or reserved channel".

• For the public channel you can use the #3 from this thread (added today)
    • For the reserved channel you can use the Channel group on your server (by default they haven't the i_join_power permission)

Of course you have to remove the b_client_skip_channelgroup_permission on the server group (the server group who should not access to this specific channels)

Please note: without any information about your actual permission system, it's not easy to provide you the exact and good solution for your case

About your PS
    Look at this thread : http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...n-impersonator

Quote Originally Posted by Ragonz View Post
    Hi

Now before people flame, yes i know tutorials have been posted about this but none answer my rather specific question.

Now onto the question. I want to restrict channels somehow. Essentiall what i want to achieve is to be able to assign people what channels they can and cant join. I cant use join power as people need to be able to access multiple channels (there are about 40 channels) and i cant use passwords because 1. ill never remember them all and 2. people are bound to tell others.

Eg.

Channel 1
    Channel 2
    Channel 3

User A
    User B
    User C

User A has access to Channel 1 & 2, User B has access to channel 2 & 3 where as User C only has access to channel 2

Is this possible and if so can someone post a step by step guide to do this

Thanks

P.S if anyone has any solutions to stop people changing their name once on the server that would be great - ive found a solution to identify who the person is by using server groups but it would be far easier if it were possible to stop them changing their name entirely
    I use a method but it will need your input ie..you'll need to assign people to the channels they can enter. It is by the use of channel groups ....

you'll need to create a new channel group in channel groups tab. say.. "permitted"

then in its permisisons give 50 credit to channel>access>channel join power.

then go to the channel permisisons tab and to the channel you want restricted access. add 50 to channel>access>needed channel join power.

Because channel group permissions work in the specific channels they are given in, drag the person to the restricted channel and place him into the permitted channel group.

how he is in "permitted" group in the "restricted" channel and he can use the 50 join you've given him in that channel and join that channel.

if you want to add him to another channel too, just drag him into that restricted channel and make him a "permitted" again while in that specific channel. but make sure permitted group's "power to join" matches the channel's "needed power to join".

hope it helps..

so, is this only valid for channel groups? Because I cannot get it to work at all for server groups

2 Different Groups - 2 different rights

ENGLISH: hey guys, i have a question, is it possible to have 2 different groups with different rights, group A and group B, then there are two channels, ChannelA and ChannelB, everybody who is in the group A is allowed to access the channelA and NOT the Channel B, and everybody who is in group B is allowed to access the channelB and NOT channelA
    hope for help ;D
    *Is it possible to understand my english?*

this forum is english only

*** Thread Merged ***
    Last edited by florian_fr40; 08-11-2011 at 08:32.

You should use Channel groups for that.

Assign i_channel_join_power of 1 or more to your channel groups and set a needed join power on those channels.
    Now assign these groups to the member of each channel.
    Last edited by dante696; 07-11-2011 at 14:57. Reason: oops incomplete permission name
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Please don't send me private messages with support questions as long I or someone else from Teamspeak Staff asked for it.
    Seriously > They belong into the forum and maybe other users have these questions/problems too.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread? || Report and upload your Crashdump here
    NPL License (Registration)

Thread Information