Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    

Question [iOS] Teamspeak3 and Cellular Data

Hello everyone,

I searched for this before posting, if this has already been asked, just re-direct me to the thread.

My question is regarding the iOS TS3 app and I was wondering if it uses any cellular data when connected to WiFi? I assume that it won't as long as the phone is connected to WiFi, but I need to be made certain of this. I just don't want a surprised bill.

I ask this because it did connect over 3G network with the WiFi turned off, thus making me uncertain.

Thank you!

The short answer is no, as with any app, it will use WiFi when the device is connected to a WiFi network. But even when it's using cellular, it's not going to run up your usage all that fast.

Teamspeak only uses data when someone is speaking. (Well, that's not 100% true, but the data it uses when silent is negligible.) Even when someone is talking, the most data-heavy codecs only use around 7.5KB/s (per person speaking, if they're talking over each other). At that rate, it would take almost 7.6 hours of someone speaking continuously to hit even just 200MB. When you consider that probably 80% (or more) of the time spent using Teamspeak is silent, that 200MB would give you 40+ hours of typical use. The codecs most servers use would probably give you double even that.

So, use WiFi when you can, but don't worry too much if you have to use cellular from time to time.

Good deal. Thank you!

Thread Information