I hope you understand me if it does not say it here

Screen: http://i42.tinypic.com/2mfajo4.png

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by rcteamspeakhosting View Post
    You can create a level of: View Client Remote Address
    Watch the screen
    because if I make a group who may not see the ip of the other group can not
    Hello.

Well if the level was, then you would define the "needed_power" and then some groups would have 'power < needed_power' and others 'power>needed_power'.

But for that it's not necessary the level, directly define some groups with "b_client_remoteaddress_view" deactivated and others with it activated. I think it's the same and without the "needed_power". But I'm not an expert, just trying to think simple.

Greetings.

that there are from, they make it View Client Remote Address: needed_power: 75

Sorry, but me doesnt see a need for it.
    Either me can view a clients IP or me can not.
    Dont know other Voice-Servers or TextChats where you can distinguish between users whos IP you may see.

But lets see, what Devs say.

Hello.

And nowadays almost everybody has a dynamic IP then, to know or not to know the address is not relevant, from my point of view.

Greetings.

Please do not assign that permission to users, you don't even trust.
    Last edited by dante696; 12-04-2013 at 09:45.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Please don't send me private messages with support questions as long I or someone else from Teamspeak Staff asked for it.
    Seriously > They belong into the forum and maybe other users have these questions/problems too.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread? || Report and upload your Crashdump here
    NPL License (Registration)

I have a teamspeak with 20-50 members online at a time. I am interested in this as well. I need admins to see the ip addresses of everyone. I can do that already. What I can't do is assign moderators the power to see everyone's IP except admins. I then have trusted secret users who have custom client permissions including the ability to see everyone's IP, but I don't want them to see everyone's IP. I only need them to see regular member IP addresses so they can more efficiently report issues to moderators or admins. I can't believe teamspeak has not added View Client Remote Address Power yet. It really should be added.

People don't have to choose whether someone has full move, talk, kick or ban permissions. They get to set the level of power with each of those. Why not set a level of view remote address power?

It's a permission only admins should have, not general users. You either trust them or you don't, if you do trust them why hide the admins ip addresses? If you don't why give them the ability to see any clients ip addresses.
    We don't see any need to change this.

[Suggestion] b_client_needed_remoteaddress_view

Currently a permission exists, b_client_remoteaddress_view, governing whether a user/group can see other users' IP addresses. It would be very helpful if we had another permission, b_client_needed_remoteaddress_view, that would allow a user/group to keep their IP hidden, even from users/groups with the power to see people's IP addresses generally, so that remote address viewing power can be as customizable as kick/ban power.

I think Teamspeak would really benefit from this because it would add a significant degree of customizability, and more imporantly, security.

Why it would benefit me and my community in particular:
    My situation is that I run a gaming community which constantly has to deal with psycopathic script kiddies from the game Arma 2, who regularly threaten to RAT and DDoS us (and go through with the DDoSing). Admins have to keep our IP addresses secret and we have to check the IP address of every new Teamspeak user to make sure they are an actual player from our gameservers, and not just some troll coming to send out malicious links and threaten to DDoS people. When we ban these people, they come back with new IP addresses and new names so it's necessary to cross-check every user with the game server database, and keep new users stuck in the home channel with a "waiting for permissions" tag, until we can confirm their identity and give them normal permissions to talk and move around. I know this sounds extreme but it was the only way to deal with someone who DDoSed us for 3 months and the police where he lived wouldn't do anything about it - by blocking him from talking to us on TS eventually he got bored and went away.

This is kind of embarrassing, but I suspect one of my TS admins has, due to disagreements about policy, decided to DDoS me or give out my IP address to people who can, because my home network has been getting DDoSed and I have no idea how they keep getting my IP. I can't confirm my theory but I blocked remoteaddress_view power on my TS server (previously it was restricted to admins), changed my home IP, and sure enough I stopped getting DDoSed. The problem now is that my admins, good ones and the mystery bad one(s), can't see new TS users' IP addresses, so we can't confirm if users coming into TS are actual players, or malicious people who need to be kept out. We are a cash-strapped, volunteer-based community so I don't have the time to spy on my admins and they don't get paid anything so I can't ask them to do anything they don't really want to. Until I find out which admin did this to me (assuming it was one of them), being able to give myself a b_client_needed_remoteaddress_view power of 75 so no one, even admins, can see my or other admins' IP addresses, while still allowing admins to see normal users' IP addresses, would solve the immediate problem for me.

Sorry about the longwinded explanation there, just figured I'd explain why it would be so helpful for me in particular. I wish that I could find perfect people as admins and not have to worry about one bad apple, and that it wasn't so easy for a script kiddie to do so much damage with just your IP address, but being able to hide it would be immensely helpful.

Thank you for considering my suggestion.

I think this would come in handy, I don't like anybody seeing my IP Address, but I have staff members that need to view then. Being able to assign needed_remote_address_view_power 75 for me to keep anybody from viewing my IP Address would be extremely useful.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    Please do not assign that permission to suers, you don't even trust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It's a permission only admins should have, not general users. You either trust them or you don't, if you do trust them why hide the admins ip addresses? If you don't why give them the ability to see any clients ip addresses.
    We don't see any need to change this.
    Using that logic, why allow any customization for admin permissions at all? Why have kick/ban power levels, why not just make all the permissions boolean? Why even let server owners create more than one admin group?

One of the strengths of Teamspeak is its customizability. We don't live in a perfect world where we can trust everyone, so this is a major security issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kleber View Post
    Using that logic, why allow any customization for admin permissions at all? Why have kick/ban power levels, why not just make all the permissions boolean?
    On that note: Why have any permissions at all? [/sarcasm]

On to more serious matters though:

Kicking/Banning is required to get people off the server, but generally allowing everyone to ban as they please is bad, they could prevent everyone from even entering the server, hence you can control more detailed who can ban who.
    Viewing IP addresses on the other hand is no big deal honestly. You either know a clients IP Address or you don't, if you don't no harm is done and it doesn't really affect anyone. If you do well, some may result to childish behavior such as running attacks against that IP, but in all honesty: Why would you want to deal with that kind of people anyway? If someone feels the need to do something as stupid as this, chances are he is equally childish in other matters as well.

Why even go through all the hassle of checking IP addresses manually? I would imagine this is quite a bit of work that takes quite some time off of your gaming experience, checking client ips with the game server each time someone enters your TeamSpeak server. Why not just write a little script that would do that automatically? You wouldn't have to allow anyone to view IP addresses and you would have time to actually play the game you want to play instead of constantly checking IP addresses. The Bot would then be the only one to view IP addresses and would just kick the person (or do whatever you prefer) if he is not on your game server.

On that note: Why have any permissions at all? [/sarcasm]
    Really? ... I was being sarcastic. I am pro-customizability.

Kicking/Banning is required to get people off the server, but generally allowing everyone to ban as they please is bad, they could prevent everyone from even entering the server, hence you can control more detailed who can ban who.
    Right back atcha:
    You either have power to ban a client or you don't, if you don't no harm is done and it doesn't really affect anyone. If you do well, some may result to childish behavior such as banning people randomly as they please, but in all honesty: Why would you want to deal with that kind of people anyway? If someone feels the need to do something as stupid as this, chances are he is equally childish in other matters as well.

^there you go, in your own words, a (wrong) argument why ban permissions should be boolean like view IP permissions.

Viewing IP addresses on the other hand is no big deal honestly.
    Are you serious? Have you been living under a hole for the past 5 years? Do you know how easy it is to get penetration testing and RAT software on illegal forums? How cheap it is to rent a botnet now?

You either know a clients IP Address or you don't, if you don't no harm is done and it doesn't really affect anyone.
    It did affect me. Is security just not a priority at all or something?

If you do well, some may result to childish behavior such as running attacks against that IP, but in all honesty: Why would you want to deal with that kind of people anyway? If someone feels the need to do something as stupid as this, chances are he is equally childish in other matters as well.
    I do not know who attacked me. I have no tolerance for DDoS kiddies and no interest in "dealing with that kind of people." It is not my decision that the world of online gaming (and humanity as a whole) contains that kind of people. If I were God and I knew everything, and could instantly sense who was a good or bad kind of people, and knew who did any crime, maybe internet security wouldn't be so important to me. I could just magically catch the bad guy. But I'm not God, and I'm also not running a company where I can install spy software on every team member's machine.

I am running a volunteer-based community, I don't try to suck money out of people with donations, I don't have money to afford paying professional admins/moderators. I have to pick players from the community as volunteers, and I am taking a chance with everyone I choose. Most of those people have been very good, but occasionally we pick a bad apple by mistake. Are you trying to say that Teamspeak is not the right voice chat solution for imperfect, amateur gaming communities like mine?

Is Teamspeak designed to work for omniscient Gods who don't need security, or is it designed for our imperfect world where we have criminals, hackers, DDoS attacks, and bad apples in every team?

Is Teamspeak designed to be customizable so that admins can utilize it in the way that works best for their team, or is it designed to work just the way that the Teamspeak Team thinks is best, and nothing else?

Why even go through all the hassle of checking IP addresses manually? I would imagine this is quite a bit of work that takes quite some time off of your gaming experience, checking client ips with the game server each time someone enters your TeamSpeak server. Why not just write a little script that would do that automatically? You wouldn't have to allow anyone to view IP addresses and you would have time to actually play the game you want to play instead of constantly checking IP addresses. The Bot would then be the only one to view IP addresses and would just kick the person (or do whatever you prefer) if he is not on your game server.
    I have been intending to deploy such a script, but even that isn't perfect. The range of threats that we face requires human operators and humans are imperfect. The fact that Teamspeak allows us to set up numerical permissions for nearly all admin powers indicates that the Teamspeak Team is (or at least was) aware that humans are not perfect.

If I don't trust an admin to have the power to ban me, I probably don't trust him to view my IP either ... can you understand that?

Sometimes we have had hackers and ddosers not only change their IP, but also buy a new CD key. The worst case, that I mentioned, was a packet kiddie who DDoSed us for months after being banned, and has returned with dozens of fake identities since then. We had to contact the police and provide information to them, such as what IP's and ISP's he was using. I need some of my more trusted admins to be able to get that kind of information. That is why I set up different permissions for different levels of admins. Why do you even let us have different levels of admin permissions if you think all admins are perfect, and anything they do is really my fault for not being a perfect judge of character and an omniscient God who can magically sense the origin of a DDoS attack?!?!

Thread Information