Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    

Soft cap on download speeds? Please help!

So I'm trying to use the File transfer on TS3 to share some files with friends.

For some reason anyone who downloads gets capped at 300kbps.

I have tried messing with the upload/download speeds in 'edit virtual server>transfers' and no matter what values I put in speeds (including -1) they always reach a max speed of 300kbps.

I know this is not my connection limit as I have had three people download at once and they all receive the files at this speed simultaneously, also, internet speed tests indicate I have around 16mbps upstream.

Is there some other factor limiting my server's upload speed (per client) ? ? ?

Thanks for reading!

Go to "Edit Virtual Server" then click on the "Transfers" tab now look at the "Bandwidth Limit" value, this is your current per client upload/download speed. If the value is grey'ed out and you are renting the server from an ATHP ask your hoster about how to upgrade this setting.

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned, I'm hosting this server from home and my bandwidth limit is set to -1.

Again, I have tested my internet and it shows 16mbps upstream connection speed.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fatfreesmp View Post
    For some reason anyone who downloads gets capped at 300kbps.
    I know this is not my connection limit as I have had three people download at once and they all receive the files at this speed simultaneously, also, internet speed tests indicate I have around 16mbps upstream.
    Could you please clarify this one for me, if 3users download same/different files? They get 300Kb each or 300Kb in total?
    Could you download from the same server using some other machine in your network, or the same you are using, in what speed?
    Have you or your users tried to download few files at once, per client? Speeds?

Also do you use some router/modem? Any great features on it?
    Same goes for some Great feature-rich firewall if you use it.

you have a slow connection..

@mellymel78

I have around 16mbps upstream.
    It should not be quite that slow with that upstream. Not wonderful but not quite that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    Could you please clarify this one for me, if 3users download same/different files? They get 300Kb each or 300Kb in total?
    Could you download from the same server using some other machine in your network, or the same you are using, in what speed?
    Have you or your users tried to download few files at once, per client? Speeds?

Also do you use some router/modem? Any great features on it?
    Same goes for some Great feature-rich firewall if you use it.
    When multiple users download, they get 300kbps EACH (ive tested with up to 3 users downloading simultaneously). That's why I'm so confused. If I download from the Teamspeak server on a local machine (within my network) it sends a LOT faster.

Im using a SurfBoard extreme cable modem (SB6120) and a Netgear WGR614 Router, and just standard windows 7 (x64) firewall.

Thanks!

sounds like your problem lies within the modem or more likely the router.

My own bet is on the combo of the router and modem you have there. For some other user here on forums, he later found out that one of his two devices were too old, and were causing packetloss trouble when he was connected to the server with certain conditions.

Be aware that your problem seems more like your environment that TeamSpeak3 related !

Netgear WGR614 Router
    google: Netgear WGR614 Router traffic liimit
    google: Netgear WGR614 Router speed problem
    http://www.speedguide.net/articles/r...op-solved-1885
    http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=4843
    "Make sure the router is at least 1 metre away from any other electrical items, especially the modem, and check that the router and its PSU isn’t getting too hot."

Just to be sure are we talking about server being wired(not wireless) to the router/modem?

You might also try just your pc---modem---internet and ask your friends to test file transfer speeds. That could confirm if the issue lies in modem, or in your overall setup with router. I would bet combination. But who knows how old is the modem ;-)
    Be aware that these embedded devices are usually as simple as possible which leads to possibilities of way different feature implementations that will be worse in performing the more you get back in time.

But in the end I think I know what is your problem. Read tho this post and read on pages I posted links to.

Why do I/we have to do this instead of you? Be honest.

Thread Information