Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Permissions for Custom Groups with Limitations

I'm having some trouble setting this up, or comprehending exactly how I would do this, or if I can do this. Bit of information overload on my part.

I've been reading over: http://www.france-teamspeak.com/perm/permission.php and: http://media.teamspeak.com/ts3_liter...ns%20Guide.txt

Here are a couple of things I am trying to accomplish.

1. I do not want users to make their own channels in general, I have that much set in a normal server group permissions, BUT, in my "OTHER GAMES" channel, which is one I have designated on our server, if I can limit it to certain members, and only in that channel "OTHER GAMES" for example, it would be ideal if users could make a temporary channel (it goes away when empty) for some game they may be playing or trying under "OTHER GAMES". So basically, make a sub channel only in specific designated channels, and not in any other channel if you choose to prevent it.

2. If I setup a server group that has people that act as my support staff, BUT ARE NOT SERVER ADMINS it would be good for them to have some sort of permissions to allow them to assign server group permissions to other members. However, my concern is if they can put someone in the clan members group, they can put someone in the HQ or Server Admin group. Basically we want to limit them to being able to add a user to the normal groups we create only so they can display the icons for those custom normal groups like, the country flag they are from, etc. BUT NOT put people in server admin groups. Can this be limited in some way to do this?

1. Make the b_channel_create_temporary and/or b_channel_create_child permission for the designated channel greater than 0. (Permissions => Channel Client Permissions)

2. Make the i_group_modify_power permission for the support staff group anything less than 75 (default for server admins) and greater than or equal to the i_group_needed_modify_power of the group they need to promote to. They will be able to promote to any group with the i_group_needed_modify_power less than or equal to the number you choose. (Permissions => Server Groups)
    Last edited by pillbox1234567; 12-04-2012 at 05:42. Reason: added answer to second question

Hello

About the First question

Before all, for a specific action on a specific channel, ther server group (your user group) must not has the skip permission
    (b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions)

So on this server group
    - Remove all channel create permission

Now on the specific channel (right click > channel Permission)
    - Add b_channel_create_child
    - Add b_channel_create_temporary
    - Add all channel_create permission you want (codec, description, etc)

- Add i_channel_max_depth value to 1 (if this specific channel is a main channel - 2 if it's a first sub-channel, etc, etc)

About the second question
    All add/remove user action depend of

- i_group_member_add_power
    - i_group_needed_member_add_power

- i_group_member_remove_power
    - i_group_needed_menmber_remove_power

Don't touch the i_group_modify_power. This permission is not for this kind of action.

So set the power and needed power to 75 for your main group.
    Now in your Staff group set
    - Power to 70 (e.g)
    - Needed power to 75

And for each group you want that the user staff can add user (or remove), you have to set the needed power to 70.

Don't forget to read the documentation : http://media.teamspeak.com/ts3_liter...ns%20Guide.txt

Just a hint, I usually leave this in Guests/Normal serverGroups as long as without create sub/channel and tempotray/.... permissions they do nothing.
    And mainly, this way it is less work.
    Quote Originally Posted by florian_fr40 View Post
    - Add all channel_create permission you want (codec, description, etc)

Yes, I did look over that permissions guide. A few times. I get the gist of this, but until I see something working in front of me I fear it won't click. Anyway, I've removed b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions from the normal membership server group. I've taken away all Remove all channel create permission lines from all groups except the server admin group.

Image of what the permissions look like:
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm165/itgl72/pc1.jpg

YET, setting this channel to allow subgroups is not working. I cannot get a normal user with the permissions set to the channel in that group to allow me to let someone make subchannels.

And on the second request, I cannot get the user in the officers group to allow only server groups other than the server admin group. The user CAN set another user to to a server admin, even when they are not!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm165/itgl72/pc2.jpg

I can use some help, some clarification, can I send you anything else to help me figure this out?
    Last edited by florian_fr40; 13-04-2012 at 08:28.

I took a break from this, I needed to stop with the things I couldn't figure out and just get an operational TS server working. Its been a few weeks now of the server working well for our community. We have about 70 people in our clan, and about 20 or so pop in on a nightly basis, on and off.

Anyway, I need to get back to this issue. I have tried several things, but either I am not reading, or over reading the issue, or I am not getting a good enough explanation of how to make this work.

(1) I wanted to setup a way to allow those in an officers group to allow people to have permissions to the server, but not be able to get people permissions higher then their own, so they do not assign themselves and others, ADMINS.

(2) I am looking for the right way to make a channel allow temporary channels.

These two items are on my list now that I have the server up and am trying to get back now to these other issues.

Question

So I'm testing this with a user I've created "TestUser" and right now I am only testing how to make this testuser create temporary sub channels in a channel called "other games". Below is what I've done:

My normal server group does not have the skip permission:
    (b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions)

I disabled the following permission on ... Permissions > Server Groups > Guest & Normal group: b_channel_create_temporary

Create a New Channel Group called CMSB (a copy of Channel Guest Groups), and add the following permissions:
    b_group_is_permanent enable
    b_channel_create_child enable
    b_channel_create_temporary enable
    i_channel_max_depth value = 1

In Channel Permissions .....

- Add b_channel_create_child
    - Add b_channel_create_temporary
    - Add i_channel_max_depth value to 1

The testuser still has create sub-channel grayed out.

I have attached a txt file with the test user's permissions that the client exported.

HELP :-)
    Attached Files Attached Files

What does your Channel tree look like?

Also having the Permissions as Channel Permission gives it to ANYONE inside that Channel, regardless of what Channelgroup they have or not!!! (unless the Channelgroup revokes them)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    What does your Channel tree look like?
    What is the best way for me to show you this? Sorry if this is a real noob question!

Screenshot showing your Server with the OTHER GAMES Channel visible would be the easiest.

Screenshot showing your Server with the OTHER GAMES Channel visible would be the easiest.

Well, here is the lower half of it, the top is cut off but they are all under the title of ts3 server.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m.../ts3chheir.jpg

try increasing the i_channel_max_depth Permission by 1.

To all that are attempting to help, I thank you and apologize for my thick-headedness. I have read the permissions links, got some of it to work, but not this one, something is not clicking between my ears with it. Time has been a constraint but I have learned so much about TS over the last few weeks, that this last configuration has me frustrated and confused. Nothing which I have tried above has helped.

CAN WE START OVER? I'm going to remove the custom group permissions, and try again from step one. I am not going to start a new thread, just continues here.

My goal:

In our channel list we have a channel called "OTHER GAMES" and in this channel, and only this channel we want to allow users to create "temporary sub-channels" so they may be able to create a game channel to something currently not listed on our server.

How can we do this efficiently? Hopefully its just a matter of assigning a permission to the channel itself, and the group members are a part of so that admins do not need to apply this permissions to each individual person.

Can someone please, clearly in noob speak, who has succesfully created this configuration in the past please step by step it for me?

If possible I may also be able to allow someone into the server to show us how to do it, but I prefer to do it myself and learn from the experience.

I greatly appreciate your efforts, and patience with me. Thank You!

Server Group Guest:
    -REMOVE:
    • b_channel_create_temporary

Channelpermissions on your designated Channel:
    -ADD
    • b_channel_create_child
    • b_channel_create_permanent unchecked!
    • b_channel_create_semi_permanent unchecked!
    • i_channel_min_depth (Value: 1 (2 if your designated Channel already is a subchannel))
    • i_channel_max_depth (Value: same as min_depth above)
    • i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power (Value: 75)

Server Group Guest:
    -REMOVE:

Channelpermissions on your designated Channel:
    -ADD
    • b_channel_create_child
    • b_channel_create_permanent unchecked!
    • b_channel_create_semi_permanent unchecked!
    • i_channel_min_depth (Value: 1 (2 if your designated Channel already is a subchannel))
    • i_channel_max_depth (Value: same as min_depth above)
    • i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power (Value: 75)
    I've tried i_channel_min_depth and i_channel_max_depth at both 1 and 2. My testuser does not have the permissions. What about the other group permission mentioned before? I see you did not mention that above. Here is what I have. Screens below. I do not believe I have missed anything from your most recent message.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...gl72/picq1.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...gl72/picq2.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...gl72/picq3.jpg

Thread Information