Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    

Cool Temporary passwords

Hello guys

nice new feature. thanks at the developers

but currently not fully supported by server version 3.0.5.

current problems:
    1. passwords not stored in database, empty list after next restart or servercrash.
    2. field "connect to channel" has no effect

i hope the next server version coming soon.

greetings
    hizuro

We don't wan't to store this password entry in a databse. This is a temporary password, like a temporary channel is. We store it in the RAM of the server and nowhere else.

Can you explain point 2? What does not work here?
    I create a password and select a channel and my client joins the channel as soon i use the password i have set in there.
    - Note1: do not use the same password, as you big server password!
    - Note2: This temporary password only works, when a server password is set and when the user does not use the big server password
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Please don't send me private messages with support questions as long I or someone else from Teamspeak Staff asked for it.
    Seriously > They belong into the forum and maybe other users have these questions/problems too.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread? || Report and upload your Crashdump here
    NPL License (Registration)

hmm...

client v3.0.6 [win7]
    server v3.0.5 [linux x86_64]
    server password present
    temp password different to server password + other channel (not the default channel)

result: temp password accepted, joined to default channel
    5 times set new temp password. same result.

no error messages in client and in logfile or database table messages

I hope to have explained the second point is now better.

1. Make sure that the channel password does match.
    2. Check all permissions.
    The Maybe needed join power is to high, or your client is not allowed to join that type (semi-per, permanent,...) of channel
    3. check that the channel is not full
    4. The target client needs the latest client
    Please don't send me private messages with support questions as long I or someone else from Teamspeak Staff asked for it.
    Seriously > They belong into the forum and maybe other users have these questions/problems too.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread? || Report and upload your Crashdump here

hmm...

ok. it works after a change of the permissions b_channel_join_(permanent|semi_permanent|temporary ).
    problem: i don't like to give guests the right to jump from channel to channel (the good old sticky ^^)

do you have a recommendation?

I think they should be stored in the database. If I create a temp password for 30 days and a server update is released I have to restart. If 30 days bans (also technically temporary) remain, temp passwords should too.

Quote Originally Posted by hizuro View Post
    do you have a recommendation?
    You still could use the invite dialog, but this stands in conflict with the temporary password.
    Code:
    ts3server://youriphere?port=9987&password=yourpasswordhere&token=JnDLEgcrmpf4m3cfmiPakdn0A5noLh6TrxRqF0HD
    Why do you use a server password, if nobody is allowed to join any channel at all.
    You better use the normal group and you could assign then b_virtualserver_join_ignore_password. Then set a server password, that nobody of these Normal users ever get toled.
    Now you could allow that guests can join any channel type again.

hmm...

this is a worse idea to set b_virtualserver_join_ignore_password, because then anyone can connect without password.

And to give all channels a separate password is more work than necessary, for servers with very many channels too much work.

why does not exists a value like b_channel_sticky.
    * Users with server password and b_channel_sticky can only join on the default channel.
    * Users with a temporary password to connect automatically to their channel.

No one can connect without a password and only privileged users can move freely between channels.

I think:
    Features that are in conflict with good safety practices are not good features.

please, give me back the good old sticky feature

greetings
    hizuro

a sticky permission will be implemented in one of the next builds...

An internal ticket for this already does exist.

Internal Ticket TSSERVER-22

I'm going to post here as i don't feel the need to start another thread on the topic.

Here is my question

Are the temporary passwords going to be stored in the database? or are you going to make me build a query bot to check if the password is there and if not restore it? There is no reason why it shouldn't be stored in the database like everything else and the argument still stands, crashes, reboots, restarts and updates are uncontrollable variables, with the potential to create work and or headache over players not being able to join because a temp pass is gone over less 1 mb entry into a database.

Please apply the KISS principle more often and remove unnecessary work and maintenance for your customers.

Thank You

Ghost

I second this. It took me some time to find out why temporary passwords got lost suddenly. The reason was I restarted the server in order to re-read the query whitelist and/or did an update. Our guild has installed a 180-day-valid guest password (so that we could change it if misused, without changing the "internal" guild password), but I'm afraid we'll never reach a 180-day uptime since there's always some maintenance to do (system reboot, server restart, server update...). So that's pretty cumbersome: either you have to create the temp PWs every evening for every raid (and give creation rights to raid leaders); or before every update/restart/reboot you must not forget to write down existing temp PWs and re-create them after maintenance is done (and you can't even do this in case of a server crash).

-Matt

Thread Information