Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How much Server power is needed?

Hello!
    I have a question!

How much Server power is needed to run a Teamspeak-Server?
    I found a Server which is very cheap, I think

I think this is one of the smallest Server I can get. Is it possible to estimate a approximate number of slots this server can cope with?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Chris; 07-04-2014 at 10:31.

i had 200 people in one room on my server, bandwith was 1.7 MiB /s .

Cpu - server has 2 intel xeons, with 200 people in one room it was using 40% of 1 cpu.

75 MB RAM?
    And they call it a server???
    Even a PDA or mobile phone or something should have more RAM.

Check http://www.linode.com/index.cfm

Would think that the 360 should be able to run 150-200 clients without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    75 MB RAM?
    And they call it a server???
    Even a PDA or mobile phone or something should have more RAM.
    A hosted virtual server's RAM is not the same a physical gadget's RAM.

I Personally Use this Server Here :
    http://www.server4you.com/vserver/vs...php?products=0

And it worked without Problems with an Website Radio Server and a 500 Slot Permanendly Used TS 3 Server

So this should be your choice ^^

Question How much Bandwidth does TS3 take ?

Hi,

we recently got our Internet connection increased to 10 Mbit upload. So I am thinking to run a Teamspeak 3 Server at home for our group of players, about 20 people all. They are not online every day, or if daily then maybe just 5 or 6 or so.

I checked and I found a few hints about bandwidth calculations but that confused me a bit. Could someone maybe tell me how much upload it cost for my home connection if 20 people would be in my Server at home, running the best Voice codec available for TS3.

I don't want to waste all my upload on something like this, so if it would be taking too much upload from my internet connection, I wouldn't consider it.

But maybe some of you run a permament server at home and have some experience on how much Bandwidth is necessary to do that and have some left over for other things.

Any help is appreciated.

Wolfseye

With Speex Ultra Wideband (32 kHz) Codec the Bandwidth is approximately 8 KiB/s for each Client in that Channel.
    So you would need to upload 20*8 = 160KiB/s while having approx. 1,2 MiB = 1280KiB/s Upload Bandwidth available.
    You'll also use 8KiB/s download for each Client talking in any such Channel.
    That's just the TeamSpeak 3 Server's Voice Data, excluding Filetransfer (which you can disable or limit the bandwidth it can use), Control and Keep Alive Traffic, as well as your other Applications and Operating System's need for up / download bandwidth.

So in total, if 20 people were in the Server at the same time, just talking (no downloads), how much bandwidth would that be effective for me to handle from my internet connection, in Mbit ? Using the best codec that TS3 has to offer.

When using the 32kHz Codec on best Quality Setting, with 20 People in the same Room (just 1 Person talking) it would be 1.25 MBit Upload.
    If those 20 People split into two different CHannels where in each channel 1 person is talking while the other 9 are listening it would make for a total upload of 1.125MBit Upload...
    If 20 people are in the same channel and 5 of them talk at the same time you'd need to upload approximately 6MBit.

There is an ever higher Codec in TeamSpeak 3 Client but that one is not meant to be used for Voice Communication afaik.
    With Celt Codec (48 kHz) it would be 14KiB/s per Client, which comes to 20 People in same room (1 talking): 2.08 MBit, 10 / 10 in different Channels each 1 talking: 1.9 MBit, 20 People in same Channel 5 talking at once: 10.39 MBit upload with 0.55 MBit Download at the same time.

All of those are for each second and provided my Math was correct. Those are approximate Values (so don't blame me for 0.1 MBit more or less).
    Last edited by SilentStorm; 22-08-2012 at 16:17.

Thank you for your information.

Red face Vps for 500 slot ts3 server

Hello. Could you tell me the vps specs to host a 500 slot ts3?
    I need to have 300-400 people connected at the same time and often the server is full.

I'd also appreciate some links to vps server hosters with good prices and quality.

Question Bandwidth Usage Calculation

Im aware of other post similar to this, but i have a question about upload calculations for Teamspeak.

I'm aware that the teamspeak FAQ mentions that, for example, the speex 25.9kbit/s bandwidth can be calculated by multiplying the bandwidth by the number of users in the channel -1.

However, given my previous expereince with VOIP systems, this seems to be missing IP,TCP and Ethernet overheads.

So my questions are:

- Does teamspeak use RTP for VOIP, or is it proprietry (and has a way of reducing packet bandwidth overheads)?
    - How much payload data is sent with each voice packet? With VOIP over g711, you would usually expect 50 packets per second, but you can change this to increase the size of the packet at the cost of latency.

If teamspeak were a system using RTP, i would expect the calculation to go something like:
    ~25000 samples per second (speex 25.9)
    => 3125 bytes of voice data per second
    => packet data payload of ~64 bytes (assuming a 20ms latency, which is he usual number for codecs like g711 , g729 etc)
    => TCP (20 bytes), IP (20 bytes), Ethernet (18 bytes), RTP (12 bytes) add a total 70 bytes to the packet
    => Total packet size of 132 bytes
    => 132 bytes * 50 = 6,600 bytes send per second
    => roughly 52.8kbit/s true bandwidth usage

Now the calculation above is based on RTP over TCP/IP, and I'm aware that teamspeak might not use RTP (but it must still use TCP/IP or possibly UDP/IP). Even using UDP (8 bytes) and no RTP, you are still looking at 43.2kbit/s.

What am I missing?

10mbit for 20 people is fine. In one of my server I had like 60 people on one channel Though only 2-3 were talking at the same time I never got more than 1.25MB/s (which is 10mbit), of course if they all talked at the same time my upload would be all used.

For 300-400 people maybe 20-30 Mbit at least to be safe.

I use this: http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_vserver/vq7 and is fine (usually I get 60Mbit upload). Good connection & specs for the price. Never had any performance problem. I host a webserver and ts3 server, also jts3 server mod.

For those slots it is fine that server, if you don't plan on putting webserver. If you want I don't know if is enough.

Lightbulb

Ok, i've done some further analysis in Wireshark. It seems that teamspeak uses a proprietry protocol over UDP. The payload size is 80 bytes for speex 25.9, which suggests a rate of one packet per 25ms (about 40 per second). This seems to match up in wireshark nicely.

The screenshot below shows the packet and data sizes:
    Name:  packet.JPG
Views: 7981
Size:  34.3 KB

The total packet size including UDP,IP and Ethernet headers is 122 bytes. This means that the true bit rate is about 39kbit/s.

Can a teamspeak developer confirm this? If this is the case then it might be a good idea to indicate that the audio codec bitrate does not tell the whole story in bandwidth calculations in the FAQ.

Thread Information