Community Forums Today's Posts     Member List     Archive    

Question Connection Issues

I am the host of a server with a dynamically updated ip address. Most of my friends can connect to the server with no issues however a few get an error saying : "Failed to resolve hostname". They can connect to other public servers, but cannot connect to mine. I know that I have my ports forwarded correctly and most people can connect successfully.

Any suggestions?

As you might figure out of the error message "Failed to resolve hostname" it is not a port issue. So if you have your ports forwarded correctly is quite irrelevant at that stage of error handling.

Who do you distribute the "adress" of your ts-server?
    Do you hand out the ip everytime it changed or do you use a dynamic dns service?

In the first place those who can't connect may have forgotten to update their favorite? to the new ip.
    Or in the second option those who can't connect don't get the right dns reply from their dns server. Which seems not to have got the information that the a-record was changed.

I use a dynamic dns service. Is there a way to make sure that it changed? And why does it only happen for some people?

Quote Originally Posted by Retzugil View Post
    I use a dynamic dns service. Is there a way to make sure that it changed? And why does it only happen for some people?
    That depends on many factors. Because some can connect and some can't... I'd search at the users end who can't connect. The dynamic dns seem to update, because if it wouldn't no one would be able to connect.

Those users who can't connect should check their dns configuration. Their dns resolver might cache the old expired answer.

Thread Information