Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the Greylist

Code:
    + It also adds the Graylist feature.
    The client communicates to our graylist (similar to the blackist) and informs the user in case that there is something wrong with the server.
    Can we get some context on what usage case this is designed for?

This is not the full quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    + It also adds the Greylist feature.
    The client communicates to our graylist (similar to the blackist) and informs the user in case that there is something wrong with the server.
    The difference to the blacklist is, the user gets warned on each connect but still will be able to join.
    Maybe you do not know what the blacklist does.
    A blacklisted server can not be joined from client. A reason for being on the blackist is that a server is hosted with an illegal license.

The greylist could be used to warn the user as first step before server gets blacklisted. Not all cheap hoster are legal and the customer which is you in such case complains to us, that the rented and paid server isn't working anymore.

I can not say when the Sales Department does add or remove server on Blacklist or Greylist. This topic does not belong to forum anyways.
    Sales discussions about blacklisting, greylisting do not belong into server and will be deleted without any warning
    Last edited by dante696; April 26th, 2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo fix
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread? ||NPL (Registration)

This is not the full quote.

Maybe you do not know what the blacklist does.
    A blacklisted server can not be joined from client. A reason for beeing on the blackist is that a server is hosted with an illegal license.

The greylist could be used to warn the user as first step before server gets blacklisted. Not all cheap hoster are legal and the customer which is you in such case complains to us, that the rented and paid server isn't working anymore.

I can not say when the Sales Department does add or remove server on Blavklsit or Greylist. This topic does not belong to forum anyways.
    Sales discussions about blacklisting, greylisting do not belong into server and will be deleted without any warning

Firstly, the topic does belong on your forums because it was a general question related to your patch notes. Ergo it should be on the forum because it was a question.

2. Can you show a bit more professionalism compared to your other colleagues, it was a question please sort out your attitude towards questions that you "deem" not to be worthy of being on here. I could have gone and opened up a support ticket under my paid account, but I chose to publicly question it here because I felt everyone would want to know details about it.

3. Why implement a new grey-listing system when your sales dept ignores servers running cracked licences when already given proof that said communities/servers are using them?

- Your question wasn't sales related. So i did answer instead of moving it into off-topic section.

- What is the problem here with my answer?
    I answered your question with all details i can give you about the new greylist feature.

And only reply is a complain about the one bold sentence?
    It's meant for following and repeating sales related discussions that follows for such named features.

-
    Why implement a new grey-listing system when your sales dept ignores servers running cracked licences when already given proof that said communities/servers are using them?
    Such thing is a sales topic and an endless discussion on a place where we from tech support can not answer the question!
    We on the tech support can not answer for sales. These are 2 different departments.
    Last edited by dante696; April 26th, 2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: moved important part at top
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread? ||NPL (Registration)

1. What is the problem here with my answer?
    I answered your question with all details i can give and you only complain about the one bold sentence?
    It's meant for following and repeating sales related discussions that follows for such named features.

2. Your question wasn't sales related. So i did answer instead of moving it into off-topic section.

Such thing is a sales topic and an endless discussion on a place where we from tech support can not answer the question!
    We on the tech support can not answer for sales. These are 2 different departments.

1. Your bold statement was irrelevant to the topic, why would this have anything to do with sales as this was merely a question about a case usage?

2. Your spelling is damn terrible, use a spell checker seriously. Every browser has one, it looks very unprofessional.

3. It was a change log question, not a sales question. Surely you can just ask one of the developers what an example usage of this would be, really not a hard thing to do.

4. You state this topic doesn't belong on the forums, it does as it's a change you posted in your change logs and clearly it has some value to TeamSpeak if you're willing to public disclose the addition of it.

5. I still don't understand why a question about a new feature implemented would suddenly relate to a sales topic, all that was asked for was an example scenario in which grey listing would be used. I highly doubt the sales department would want me wasting their time opening up a ticket just to ask them the usage of it and neither would the support dept via ticket.

It was relevant for the one line above my bold text to avoid exactly such questions like point 3 in your reply.
    We can't satisfy anyone with an anwser on tech forum and do not want to discuss this over and over.

3. / 4. / 5.
    As stated before, nobody said that your question was sales related and did not belong into this forum.
    Your question did belong here into the tech forum.

Please do not take that bold line personal. I just tried to answer your question and tried to avoid following sales topics.
    It would have been moved into off-topic or i would've answered "please contact sales @ ....." in case it was sales related.
    And i would not have tried to explain what the greylist is.

So... let me get back to topic and try to explain the new graylist feature and why we think it's important. The key issue with blacklisting is that we're punish the customer/user who, in most cases, has no idea that he or she is paying for a server that's not licensed properly. So our primary intention with the graylist is to inform the customer/user that something is wrong with the server... whether it's a cracked version or something else that's violating out license agreement. So instead of just preventing the TeamSpeak 3 Client from connecting, we're instead showing a (hopefully) meaningful message.

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2016-04-26 um 15.50.30.png
Views: 2913
Size:  111.4 KB

So basically, in most-cases the graylist is probably going to be used as a first step before we actually put an IP on our blacklist.

Believe me... we at TeamSpeak deeply care about our user-base and also for our authorized host providers (AHTPs)... but we are not perfect and made mistakes in the past(a lot of them). I can assure you that TeamSpeak has not ignored the growing number of illegal servers hosted out there. Our dev team is working very hard and we'll take further steps to solve this problem in the future as we're building new features and improving our infrastructure.

We have several very exciting projects in our pipeline so stay tuned to our website and the announcement area in these forums!

*** EDIT ***
    Damn... that screenshot is huge!

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    So... let me get back to topic and try to explain the new graylist feature and why we think it's important. The key issue with blacklisting is that we're punish the customer/user who, in most cases, has no idea that he or she is paying for a server that's not licensed properly. So our primary intention with the graylist is to inform the customer/user that something is wrong with the server... whether it's a cracked version or something else that's violating out license agreement. So instead of just preventing the TeamSpeak 3 Client from connecting, we're instead showing a (hopefully) meaningful message.

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2016-04-26 um 15.50.30.png
Views: 2913
Size:  111.4 KB

So basically, in most-cases the graylist is probably going to be used as a first step before we actually put an IP on our blacklist.

Believe me... we at TeamSpeak deeply care about our user-base and also for our authorized host providers (AHTPs)... but we are not perfect and made mistakes in the past(a lot of them). I can assure you that TeamSpeak has not ignored the growing number of illegal servers hosted out there. Our dev team is working very hard and we'll take further steps to solve this problem in the future as we're building new features and improving our infrastructure.

We have several very exciting projects in our pipeline so stay tuned to our website and the announcement area in these forums!

*** EDIT ***
    Damn... that screenshot is huge!

Hi ScP,

I'd just like to thank you for replying to this, I know myself and a few other people have started to get very angry at the lack of announcements from TeamSpeak regarding stuff like this. I'm very happy to see that you're finally implementing new methods to stop this, I just hope you'll finally do something about the ones I have brought to you with definitive proof of their cracks and such.

If you personally would like to see the information I have gathered at all, please drop me a PM if not you can check my support tickets as all the information is in there.

I'm excited to hear about your projects and hope to see some announcements soon, can you give us any ETA on when these will be announced?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick1164 View Post
    ... can you give us any ETA on when these will be announced?
    Sorry, but I can just give you the typical "when it's done" right now. But I can assure you that our dev team is working very hard on these things.

Sorry, but I can just give you the typical "when it's done" right now. But I can assure you that our dev team is working very hard on these things.

No worries, thanks!

I have a small question regarding this entire blacklist/graylist thing. Does TeamSpeak log any communication with the that server? If you do, that would be some sort of tracking as the client communicates every time you connect to a server, right?

Quote Originally Posted by harrasan View Post
    I have a small question regarding this entire blacklist/graylist thing. Does TeamSpeak log any communication with the that server? If you do, that would be some sort of tracking as the client communicates every time you connect to a server, right?
    No, we don't do that. The privacy of our user-base is of utmost importance to us. We don't want to know which servers you're connecting to and how often you connect.

What you need to understand is this... while blacklisting or graylisting illegal servers is a good thing from an ATHP perspective, our goal is to protect the users of our software. So if someone is paying for a server that's not properly licensed... that is fraud. If someone wants to pay for a professionally hosted TeamSpeak 3 Server, he or she should turn to one of our authorized host providers (ATHPs) instead of paying for an illegal hosting service. In some cases we also blacklisted servers that spread malware in the past... so this
    is not primarily about violations to our license agreement but about protecting our users.

Yes, we are a growing company... but we want to deliver the best user experience with our software (and we know that there's a lot of work to do in this area). TeamSpeak is not as "sellout" as you may think.
    Last edited by ScP; April 26th, 2016 at 06:23 PM.

.... not properly licensed... that is fraud. If someone wants to pay for a professionally hosted TeamSpeak 3 Server, he or she should turn to one of our authorized host providers (ATHPs)....
    I beg you a pardon but my experience with real ATHP's was in most cases that
    - their service and understanding how it should be configured is limitly close to null.(no, dear not zero, sorry, it was worse than that)
    - their WoW with end user/s was also on freezing point with restarts that were not announced. Even multiple times a day(yes I'm sure I checked uptime back then).

Have you checked all your surprisingly professional ATHP before you made such a bold statement that all of them are.... professional?

Yo thanks for explaining the grey list, this discussion was actually super helpful.

... how long a Server is GreyListed until BlackListed ?

Thread Information