Forum

File Browser Security Problems?

Hi!

Recently, I've asked my current Server Host as to why the File Browser is disabled on our TeamSpeak. This is the reply I received:

Hello Matthew,

We are not the only host disabling this feature, we would also need to charge more for teamspeak as it would use extra disk space.

We will not be enabling this feature at all this is mainly due to the security as any files could be planted on our servers.
    So, in short, I'm curious. Is this actually the case? If so, why do so many server hosts allow it while ours (Hypernia) do not?

Any assistance or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Tera

Yes it is true that if enabled any file could be uploaded. And yes the more files uploaded the more disk space the servers use. As for the security side, really low risk in my opinion unless someone at the server is looking through the uploaded files and running them as long as the TeamSpeak server instance is not running with admin (root, etc) permissions. Having a nightly virus scan of the files folders is not a bad idea, with the default action for the job being to delete any found.

This has nothing to do with TeamSpeak itself.
    Any file, that is beeing uploaded on any way in any tool could be a security issue as explained above.

The hoster can't control what users will upload, so it's hosters decission to disbale it.

I mark this therad as resolved.
    Thread title is incorrect.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Sorry, thread title is incorrect?

The old thread title implied, that we have a security problem in our filetransfer.
    But that's not the case.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

Actually it implied security problems in relation to the file browser... But oke. .3.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmonst View Post
    I have a server rented under TypeFrag and I would like to change a permission. I am the server owner so all settings are mine to change.

1. RESOLVED This server is private, for use with only my friends and I, and even though we use multiple channels, I would like to enable everybody to speak in server chat, so that everybody sees it no matter what channel any of us are in. I have the privilege key enabled for only myself so only I am able to speak in Server Chat, how can I change this and allow others to speak in it? RESOLVED

2. File Transfer straight-up is not working. I can not enable it in permissions settings for any server group and/or channel group, and I am met with a message saying that "Not all permissions could be applied". I want to enable everybody in the server to be able to upload/download/manage all files in the file transfer. How can I resolve this issue?
    I'm sorry for opening an old thread, but I just got a server from them, and asked their support about it
    The Network Admins disabled it due to security concerns. Once the concerns are resolved, it will be re-enabled.
    There is no ETA for this

Has this anything to do with the original thread?
    I miss any relationship or information.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    This has nothing to do with TeamSpeak itself.
    Any file, that is beeing uploaded on any way in any tool could be a security issue as explained above.

The hoster can't control what users will upload, so it's hosters decission to disbale it.

Moved!!!!

Thread Information