Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SRV Records

Redirect when server is down

OK, we are on teamspeak ts3.server1.com, we are all talking and bam,,. say the internet drops/connection lost/server crashes, people who are already connected are reconnected to ts3.server2.com which is hosted elsewhere, and anyone new who attempts to logon to ts3.server1.com will be redirected to ts3.server2.com.. once ts3.server1.com comes back online, people will be disconnected and reconnected to server 1??

is this possible or at least a variation of this?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by dante696; February 10th, 2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: merged

Here are some images showing how i entered the entries,, the server is still not kicking over to backup ts3 server
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img1.PNG 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	13527
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img2.PNG 
Views:	124 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	13528

Seriously, what is with the reposting of urls, that does NOT tell me anything new, and that i already dont know, I have read that. Does anyone have any NEW information??

There's no "new" information. You didn't even read "current" or "old", to begin with. The data in the post we've linked to you repeatedly is as complete, as it ever gets in regard to TS itself. If you want any more of that, read the normative documentation.
    And by "read" I mean "understand".
    Not to mention the amount of diagnostics data you provide, that isn't even half of a whole setup.
    Given the abovementioned lot of cases, by now I'm torn between "are you kidding" and "you are not capable of hosting a server, and will never be".
    So, which one it is?

Well no, i don't understand it so, I am: ""you are not capable of hosting a server, and will never be""

Sorry for my stupidity, I will refrain from posting here anymore.

The key word was given in the "EDIT" in the mentioned post: The failover functionality designed into SRV records is not implemented in the TeamSpeak client. Simply put, it will just not work, until it is fixed in the client.
    You MAY combat this to an extent with two priority 1 records and different weights, but I'm not sure if TS3 client would not try to order them in a round-robin fashion. (For which i.e. Minecraft is notorious.) Thus I strongly discourage you from trying such a setup.

Teamspeak only tries to connect to one server. No matter what.
    BTW, are you sure it takes the SRV record with the lowest priority? I thought it takes the first one.

When I tried it, I've had two records (p1w10 and p1w100). TS would pick the p1w100 record if p1w10 server is not available, but again, it was a limited test, and I didn't check if it ordering the records or trying to connect to servers in the weight order.
    I will emphasize it again: I STRONGLY DISCOURAGE anyone from playing with failover setups before the bug in TS client is dealt with for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    When I tried it, I've had two records (p1w10 and p1w100). TS would pick the p1w100 record if p1w10 server is not available, but again,
    I think that's conincidence if any. As far as I know, once the chat says "Trying to connect to server on xxx", there's no return.

Point being, there was no server on xxx
    Both records were in my domain (I think they are still there, try fw.rootdir.org), but none of the targets, nor their addresses were.

Setup DNS to a subdomain

Using for info this link

Should i configure my DNS Registry to:
    For usage ts3.mydomain.com
    _ts3._udp.ts3.mydomain.com. 14400 IN SRV Priority: 0 Weight: 5 Port: 9987 Target: XXX.XXX.XXX.XX
    _tsdns._tcp.ts3.mydomain.com. 14400 IN SRV Priority: 0 Weight: 5 Port: 41144 Target: XXX.XXX.XXX.XX

Or

_ts3._udp.mydomain.com. 14400 IN SRV Priority: 0 Weight: 5 Port: 9987 Target: XXX.XXX.XXX.XX
    _tsdns._tcp.mydomain.com. 14400 IN SRV Priority: 0 Weight: 5 Port: 41144 Target: XXX.XXX.XXX.XX

I'm using Cpanel with Advanced DNS Zone Editor

Or its a proper way out there for use in Cpanel?

I hope someone can help me figuring this out

Thanks in Advance

If you want people to use ts3.yourdomain.com then you'd have to use the former since the latter specifies the SRV record on the main domain and ppl would have to use yourdomain.com to connect. Note though that you'll have to specify an FQDN (that has an A record) for the target, not an IP address.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Thread Information