Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SRV Records

SRV Records

I'm running a teamspeak server on a VPS. I'm also using the VPS for webhosting. Using DNS manager on Windows Server 2012, I need to know how to correctly create a SRV record to use as a ts.mydomain.com as my teamspeak IP. I've used several guides already but I can't seem to get it working.

_ts3._udp.example.com. IN SRV 1 0 9987 ts1.example.com.
    _ts3._udp.example.com. IN SRV 10 0 9989 ts2.example.com.
    ts1.example.com. IN A ip.add.ress.1
    ts2.example.com. IN A ip.add.ress.2

This will describe a TS3 service for example.com. domain, and list two servers, a main (priority 1 weight 0) and a backup (priority 10 weight 0).
    When TS3 client is told to connect to example.com, it should automatically choose main server, or if it is not reachable, try to connect to backup server.

(2014-07-01) However, right now, the implementation of SRV RR lookup only consider records with lowest priority, ignoring anything else.

EDITED with clarifying information from TS support.
    Last edited by ANR Daemon; April 23rd, 2018 at 11:08 AM.

SRV Records

I'm running a teamspeak server on a VPS. I'm also using the VPS for webhosting. Using DNS manager on Windows Server 2012, I need to know how to correctly create a SRV record to use as a ts.mydomain.com as my teamspeak IP. I've used several guides already but I can't seem to get it working.

tl;dr How do I use windows Windows DNS Manager to correctly create srv records?
    Last edited by austin070; June 25th, 2014 at 04:13 AM.

When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

As stated, I have searched around and used several guides but I can't get it working. Hence why I posted in the support forum.

Ok, please show us, what you've already achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by austin070 View Post
    As stated, I have searched around and used several guides but I can't get it working. Hence why I posted in the support forum.
    Yeah, but it isn't a teamspeak issue... so you might be more successful in getting an answer if you try a "windows admin" forum. I don't know how windows dns is to be configured...

After a day of struggling, I think I've found the answer, but the OP will need to use Windows PowerShell & not the DNS Manager

The command I've posted below assumes the TS3 server is running on host omega.mst.local on port 9987, the OP will need to change all the bits I've put in bold

Add-DnsServerResourceRecord -zone mst.local -name _ts3._udp.omega -domainname omega.mst.local -weight 0 -priority 0 -Srv -port 9987 -computername omega

Here's the Teamspeak client log

26/06/2014 12:48:00 ClientUI Info Connect to server: omega.mst.local
    26/06/2014 12:48:00 ClientUI Info Trying to resolve omega.mst.local
    26/06/2014 12:48:00 TSDNS Info DNS resolve successful, "omega.mst.local"=192.168.0.21
    26/06/2014 12:48:00 TSDNS Info SRV DNS resolve successful, "_ts3._udp.omega.mst.local"=>"omega.mst.local:9987 " = 192.168.0.21:9987
    26/06/2014 12:48:00 ClientUI Info Lookup finished: 192.168.0.21 9987 omega.mst.local 0 0
    26/06/2014 12:48:00 ClientUI Info Resolve successful: 192.168.0.21:9987

Hope this helps

There can't be such domain as "omega.mst.local".
    Domain suffix ".local" is reserved for self-organizing networks without a central server, thus can't contain more than one dot in the name. I.e. "omega.local".
    Even if correct this nonsense, you're doing it wrong. You're adding TS service for single host, not for domain.

It works, perhaps you have a better solution?

"It works" doesn't imply "it doesn't break interoperability". Look above, I've explained the issue.
    To the "better solution", check my first reply to this thread, outlining correct SRV RR setup for domain.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    _ts3._udp.example.com. IN SRV 0 10 9987 ts1.example.com.
    _ts3._udp.example.com. IN SRV 0 20 9989 ts2.example.com.

This will descibe a TS3 service for example.com. domain, and list two servers, a main (priority 0 weight 10) and a backup (priority 0 weight 20).
    When TS3 cleint is told to connect to example.com, it will automatically choose main server, or if it is not reachable, will try to connect to backup server.
    The reason I ignored this is because I don't know what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by austin070 View Post
    The reason I ignored this is because I don't know what to do with it.
    Well if you don't know what to do with correct answer, then why are you trying to run a server? Ask someone else to help you set it up.
    Even wikipedia might help you understand that answer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRV_record
    Just translate it into your windows GUI fields you want to use so badly.

Just FYI I don't know if ts3client supports it yet, but it was build with ignoring priority and weight attributes of SRV.

In my tests, it correctly select servers based on priority (at least).
    Even though the DNS requests look bogus.
    I hope what you say is not true, as it breaks standard.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    _ts3._udp.example.com. IN SRV 0 10 9987 ts1.example.com.
    _ts3._udp.example.com. IN SRV 0 20 9989 ts2.example.com.

This will descibe a TS3 service for example.com. domain, and list two servers, a main (priority 0 weight 10) and a backup (priority 0 weight 20).
    When TS3 cleint is told to connect to example.com, it will automatically choose main server, or if it is not reachable, will try to connect to backup server.
    Actually you messed it up, if you want a backup the priority needs to be different, the weight just specifies the chance at which that specific entry for this priority is chosen. (Load Balancing). Not that it matters anyway since TS3 currently chooses a random one of the lowest priority and will use that one, without ever trying secondaries.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Thread Information