Forum

Cannot upload Icon

Disclaimer: I know there has been several threads about this, but I cannot find one related specifically to my problem, in the WHOLE of the internet, not just ts forums. So please, read on and try to help me as good as possible.

I just got a VPS today as it worked out cheaper to host a teamspeak server on than actually paying for one off of a proper website.

I have ubuntu (linux) as my OS and I managed to get the server running fine and people can connect to it. However, I cannot upload icons or the like (could not open file transfer connection) is the error that shows. The VPS gave me an IPv6 IP address as my IP, but offered a conversion-of-sorts IPv4 IP. The ports I wanted to use (9987, 30033, 10011) were took up by somebody already but the VPS company had a way of letting us put a port down between 2 values and then it seems like it would transfer into the port requested.

It looks like this:

About the screenshot; from left to the right the columns are as follows

Port name: Shared IP: Source Port: Destination Port: Protocol:

Name:  a364522078cde4d300d193f2d4d0a409.png
Views: 672
Size:  3.8 KB

However it still doesn't work. When I upload an avatar I get that error. Is there something I can change in the ini file that will make it work or do I have to do something completely different?

I await your response and answer with great anticipation and if you require any more information, just ask.
    About the screenshot; from left to the right the columns are as follows

Port name: Shared IP: Source Port: Destination Port: Protocol:

Wrong section... woops, can this get moved please? I opened the wrong tab when I clicked post >.>

ip a; ip -s l; ip r s table all type unicast

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    ip a; ip -s l; ip r s table all type unicast
    Sorry this is just letters to me; what does it do? and is it the full "ip a; ip -s l; ip r s table all type unicast"?

-Thanks though, I guess

The main issue would be, that filetransfer is a wimpy thing in teamspeak. You've bound filetransfer to port 30033 on you vps I assume but the shared IP stack is listening on 10588... so it won't work the way teamspeak works. The filetransfer is always initate from within a running sesion and the client will try to connect to 30033 not knowing anything about 10588. You might want to try to change the actual listening port via ts3server.ini to 10588 and change the NAT to "4. upload 31.220.50.10 10588 10588 TCP"; then and only then it might actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post
    The main issue would be, that filetransfer is a wimpy thing in teamspeak. You've bound filetransfer to port 30033 on you vps I assume but the shared IP stack is listening on 10588... so it won't work the way teamspeak works. The filetransfer is always initate from within a running sesion and the client will try to connect to 30033 not knowing anything about 10588. You might want to try to change the actual listening port via ts3server.ini to 10588 and change the NAT to "4. upload 31.220.50.10 10588 10588 TCP"; then and only then it might actually work.
    Okay, I did this I think? My ini file's file upload port is set to 10588, i set up the NAT as well. HOWEVER it was to no avail, is there a way I can use the command that the other guy put that coincides with this?

Quote Originally Posted by drakansteal3 View Post
    Sorry this is just letters to me; what does it do? and is it the full "ip a; ip -s l; ip r s table all type unicast"?

-Thanks though, I guess
    Then rent a server from ATHP.

Why would you rent a VPS with a shared IPv4 address in the first place? There are many hosting companies that offer VPS with at least one dedicated IPv4 (some even 2) for as low as 10$ per year. Sufficient for the typical small gaming clan.
    US hosted VPSes are pretty cheap, it gets a bit more expensive if latency to US is too high for you. But I have my TS-server hosted on a VPS located in Netherlands at pretty much the same price point and it is only 25ms away from my home in Germany.

So if you do not get your TS running you might reconsider your hosting partner/location.

Internet moves to IPv6. Rapidly. It's just TS3 stuck in XX century.

depends on your location. Here in Germany only few internet access providers offer IPv6 or dualstack. I don't see a rapid change here in near future.
    But IPv6 single or /64 is available for most VPSes, even when you have a dedicated IPv4.

If you want the server to listen for query or file transfer on a non default port you must specify the port to use and the IP to listen on (though I think you can still specify 0.0.0.0 for all adapters). For your forwarding rules you can't redirect that back to the default ports, it must be the same incoming port as getting pasted to the server's monitored IP(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Screech View Post
    If you want the server to listen for query or file transfer on a non default port you must specify the port to use and the IP to listen on (though I think you can still specify 0.0.0.0 for all adapters). For your forwarding rules you can't redirect that back to the default ports, it must be the same incoming port as getting pasted to the server's monitored IP(s).
    alright... I got it set up to that in the ini file... but still doesn't work/

Could you paste that port IP info from the ini here? Also, you are using the parameters to use the ini while starting TS3 server, right? Also, could you provide the forwarding rules?

If you could make forwarding look like
    10587 > 10587
    10588 > 10588
    10589 > 10589
    Then all you need is either ts3server.ini file or attributes to the binary being added. voice_port filetransfer_port etc read documentation folder that is included with server.

If you can't get that, get a better VPS provider.
    I have and had quite few VPS from different providers and so far I never had such a problem.

Drop me or screech a PM if you have problems.

Thread Information