Forum

Server / Channel password resets to random?

I have been hosting a TS3 server for close to a year until my TS has been invaded by random people making rooms and other them spamming the poke feature... Now I would like a server password however every time I set it the password is suddenly changed to a some random one?!

It is not. For security reasons it simply displays as a certain number of dots, regardless of how many characters the actual password has. This is to prevent people from being able to know how long the password is, which would greatly reduce the time required to guess the password.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Virtual Server Password Resetting?

Hi there, I'm relatively new to TS3 and I'm just starting to get the hang of the very basics. And I mean the -very- basics. Anyway, my issue. Basically, I made a Virtual Server Password via | Right-clicking TS - Edit Virtual Server - Password - Apply.

Yet, everytime I apply it with the correct password which should be ********** long. I get one that's ************** long. Which is a couple more character's. And so obviously my original password doesn't work for people wanting to get onto the server. I have no idea what's causing the issue but any sort of solution/help/input would be much appreciated by the newbie! ^_^
    Last edited by dante696; December 31st, 2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: merged

The number of stars has no relation with the number of password's characters.
    They type the wrong password.
    Make a new simple password and try to join the server with a new identity

Wow. Now I feel like a total idiot. XD Thanks for that though, felt like I was gonna have a heart-attack when it kept changing to a different number of characters. Not that it matters that much though since I'm setting up an invite only server. Just don't want anything out of my control.

You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Acirius View Post
    felt like I was gonna have a heart-attack when it kept changing to a different number of characters.olleyes:
    LMAO

A general note: To keep your password more secure, the password is hashed, meaning a number is calculated from the password. TeamSpeak does that. If the hash algorithm was good, this number can't be turned back into the password (without trying passwords, which is called brute force, but TS3 will ban you for trying too many passwords). There is a neglegible chance that other passwords cause the same number, which is called a collision. Such a hash does not save the length, so TeamSpeak cannot say what your password length was.

Channel Password Wont Save

I'm making a channel and when I set a password and save it, then I go to check the password it keeps getting reset to a password that is 8 characters long. I'm not sure if this is intentional to hide the password or a glitch
    Last edited by dante696; January 2nd, 2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: merged

That's intended.

The edit channel dialog will not represent the length of the password.
    It only shows that there is a password set.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Channel password changes itself!

EN:

Hey guys!
    I just created a local 64bit server and created a chnnel on it. I applied a password with four letters on it. As soon as I click "Edit Channel" again there are eight of those crosses and it's everytime like this. Does someone knows why or has a solution?

DE:

Hey!
    Ich habe mir vor paar Tagen einen lokalen Server erstellt. Dann wollte ich einen Channel mit einem vierstelligen Passwort erstellen. Ich habe als Passwort "1234" genommen aber sobald ich wie auf "Edit Channel" gegangen bin, waren es auf einmal acht von diesen kreuzen und ich kann das Passwort nicht einsehen. Ich habe bereits den Server neu aufgesetzt und das bei verschiedenen Channels getestet aber es ist jedes mal das selbe. Weiß jemand warum und wie man das Problem lösen kann?
    MFG!

video: https://vimeo.com/331685092
    Last edited by dante696; April 23rd, 2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: merged

Thread Information