Forum

"ignore priority speaker" option in the Ts3 client

Hello,

in TS3 the TS Admin can set the "priority speaker" flag to a user on the ts Server. Then this person is speaking the volume of all other persons in the chan will be reduced.

This feature is obviously processed by the server. But I think it should be better processed by the TS3 client. I don't know any valid reason why this feature should be forced to every TS user. I'd like to control by myself if the "priority speaker" flag should be processed by my client or not. (Decide on my own if the volume of the other persons is reduced or not)

For example I´m often in chans with a music bot. It's very annoying then the music volume is reduced every time the person is speaking. I`d like to have a "ignore priority speaker" option in the Ts3 client. Then the server admin can still set the priority speaker option but everyone can decide for himself if he likes the option or not. This won't harm anyone.

It's called priority speaker for a reason... I think the feature is exactly as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by a7116114 View Post
    For example I´m often in chans with a music bot. It's very annoying then the music volume is reduced every time the person is speaking.
    That's one of the examples where priority speaker is useful, the music bot by no means is as important as the people speaking, after all you use TeamSpeak to talk to and communicate with people, not to listen to music. If you want to listen to music, you can just fire up the music on your own system and listen there and it won't get lowered.

In any case, priority speaker is working as designed, desired and intended. There is no need to change anything.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    In any case, priority speaker is working as designed, desired and intended. There is no need to change anything.
    Please explain me why it`s "desired and intended" to forbid the user the control about it`s own client unnecessarily? If the user can control it for himself this won't effect anyone else. Maybe there is a mistake: I'd like to hear all other people at the same volume even if the "priority speaker" is granted to someone. I don't want the ability to speak as loud as the priority speaker to the other people in the chan.

So even with tmy idea the "priority speaker" can work as "desired and intended". If I disable it for myself it won't effect or harm someone else. So I don't understand why I should not be able to decide this on my own. I only want to have a little bit more control

The idea of a priority speaker is that everybody in the channel has to hear him loud and clear regardless of any number of other bot/user talking. If you don't want to hear the priority speaker leave the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post
    has to
    Why do I have to? The admin has decided that I have to not I. And why shouldn't I be able to hear him without this feature? Why should a admin force me to hear something or not? I think I can decide this on my own.

I think the priority speaker shouldn't be set by an admin, it should he set by the user itself. Then it's a very good feature. Then I can decide who I want to hear "loud and clear" and who not. This is nothing someone else can decide for me. I only can decide which talk is important to me and which is not.

Maybe I don't want to listen to the priority speaker but to someone else. Maybe there are more people who have to say important things and not only the priority speaker?

Why do I have to? The admin has decided that I have to not I. And why shouldn't I be able to hear him without this feature? Why should a admin force me to hear something or not? I think I can decide this on my own.
    This forum is for technical support, not for social problems.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    This is a technical discussion. I'm discussing a ts feature. By the way: I haven't heard any valid reason why my idea isn't good. The only argument was "It is so, because it is supposed to be so" and yes it can stay as it is. I don't want to change the function in general. I only want to have some additional features. So this argument isn't valid at all.

A solution could be this: The admin can still set the priority speaker as before. So it will behave the way it always did. But then the user can remove the priority speaker or pass it to someone else. (Only for himself so it doesn't effect anyone else).

I don't think that a single person can decide what's important for all 300 or 400 people in a ts chan. Thinking so is very arrogant.

I don't think that a single person can decide what's important for all 300 or 400 people in a ts chan. Thinking so is very arrogant.
    What kind of talking will you do with 300 people in a channel?! If more than one person is speaking you will not understand a single sentence at all. In such a situation having one (and only one) priority speaker is technical and social adequate.

If some of those 300 want to talk to themselves they can allways leave the channel.

Also priority speaker isn't designed to be handed out to some user on permanent basis, it is used if you have a great flock of people who have to listen to one "command" or "chief", like in a big raid event or may even in a kind of lecture.

Besides, its not an "admin" thing.
    Any user with the right permissions can set himself as "priority speaker".

Dante was it (me thinks) wo said once "Their server - their rules". So if the admin of a server decides to use this feature on his server or to give it to certain users, accept it or leave the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    Dante was it (me thinks) wo said once "Their server - their rules". So if the admin of a server decides to use this feature on his server or to give it to certain users, accept it or leave the server.
    And that's why it's called a social problem. Because it's a problem with the rules set by someone else. Rent your own server, get the people over, and you're done.

For example I´m often in chans with a music bot. It's very annoying then the music volume is reduced every time the person is speaking. I`d like to have a "ignore priority speaker" option in the Ts3 client. Then the server admin can still set the priority speaker option but everyone can decide for himself if he likes the option or not. This won't harm anyone.
    Every normal server I saw so far in channel with music bot is not talking because it is moderated and only bot has talk power.

Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post
    It's called priority speaker for a reason... I think the feature is exactly as it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That's one of the examples where priority speaker is useful, the music bot by no means is as important as the people speaking, after all you use TeamSpeak to talk to and communicate with people, not to listen to music. If you want to listen to music, you can just fire up the music on your own system and listen there and it won't get lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    I have to agree with others, what you are asking for is misuse of priority speaker for purpose it wasn't intended, just as Chris commented.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    Besides, its not an "admin" thing.
    Any user with the right permissions can set himself as "priority speaker".

Also true there.

If a7116114 believe the server is wrongly configured, talk with the admin, don't be impolite but give him your pointers and reasons why. It is not like that admin or other people were born as geniuses. Even you do mistakes don't you? Other option is that you run your own server that is configured better, maybe users will migrate from previous server just because of that.

Thread Information