Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

TS server - set to listen on specific IP/port?

Hey folks,

I am installing TS Server on my Windows Server 2008 R2 and raising a hand as I am really stuck :[

I downloaded TS Server x64 and client to host a server and all was looking good as I could access my server using "localhost" with server admin details during install. Also ports 10011 and 30033 where showing open but not 9987 but thought this was just that UDP ports where not responding to the port checkers. No remote connection to TS server

Then I tried to connect to the TS from a PC on the same network and got connection error.
    I pulled down the firewall and got the same error
    I have changed the default port from 9987 to 15000 and got the same error
    Then I found I could TELNET from the local machine to the TS server on the windows server
    So a problem with the TS server listening on the port . . . I believe

In running netstat I found that the only entry for port 15000 is "UDP 0.0.0.0:15000" which means that it binds to all IP address.
    I tried using the "tsserver.ini" to set my "Voice_IP" to my local server address but no joy
    NOTE- the putty logins show on my TS server log but not the attempts from TS client on the local machine

In checking the forums I found 2 threads which I think is my problem and wonder if anyone could give advice?

Firstly,
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...g-IP-(0-0-0-0)
    How do I do this for my server local IP?
    "ts3server_win32.exe voice_ip=118.127.10.168 query_ip=118.127.10.168 filetransfer_ip=118.127.10.168"
    Basically I have been using the tsserver.ini file. . . .which may be wrong
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...680-Bind-to-IP

Secondly,
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...Server-2008-R2
    I added an IP to my NIC to bind but I am only familar using this in IIS so more research is required. Aswellas if my hyper V server 2012 is causing a problem with multiple virtual servers.

Thought this was just a software install but may not be worth the problem throwing a TS server for folk to use.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

John

Both threads are irrelevant.
    If you can't connect to a running server, you have a firewall blocking connections. Easily confirmed by traffic analysers, like Wireshark.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    Both threads are irrelevant.
    If you can't connect to a running server, you have a firewall blocking connections. Easily confirmed by traffic analysers, like Wireshark.
    I can connect to the TS server from a client on the same machine as the TS server but unable to connect to the TS server from a PC on the same network. I can can connect to the TS server from a local machine using telnet via Putty.

Why can i not connect on port 9987 with all my security down? I changed the port and got the same issue.

Re-read the message you quoted. It has the answer you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    Re-read the message you quoted. It has the answer you're looking for.
    All fixed folks :}

I installed Wireshark and ran a packet capture when trying to log into TS Server from the local machine. I didn't see any issue but has been awhile since I last used Wireshark and still didn't feel it was my Win 2008r2 firewall because it was disabled and logs show, packet received and sent back.

2014-08-03 11:05:08 ALLOW UDP 192.168.1.64 192.168.1.100 62906 9987 0 - - - - - - - RECEIVE
    2014-08-03 11:05:08 ALLOW UDP 192.168.1.82 192.168.1.64 9987 62906 0 - - - - - - - SEND

My issue was the local machines firewall on 192.168.1.64 blocking the return from the server on 192.168.1.100. I dropped windows firewall and worked straight away. My failure was the assumption that install TS Client on Windows 8 would automatically add an exception to the firewall.

I didn't see this at all as Putty connected to the TS server from the local machine but the TS client didn't .. . Argh! Head slap.

Anyways thanks to all who had a look to see if they could help and BIG thanks to "ANR Daemon" - mate i couldn't see the issue on Wireshark due to my lack of familiarity but it did send me in the right direction.

Will close thread after remote testing
    John

Thread Information