Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Hybrid View

serverQuery: Is there a delay in answering queries from remote hosts?

Is the server delaying the "error id=0 msg=ok" after every command reply for about 0.2 seconds?

*edit* see post 5 for better explanation */edit*

I took a look today to find out, what takes so long when querying servers. When testing (edit: with php) on localhost i discovered, that when i connect to it on 127.0.0.1 it answers commands and sends "error id=0 msg=ok" instantly after the command answer. When i connect to the server on localhost it answers the commands also directly but "error id=0 msg=ok" comes delayed with about approx. 0.2 seconds.

Is this a bug or by design?
    Its a problem for me cause i query a lot of servers and tried to find out how to speed up things a little. After measuring the execution time of the scripts there was only optimization possible of about 0.030 ms time increase. But this delayed "error id=0 msg=ok" needed about 1.4 seconds.

For example:
    - server query script time: 1.5 seconds
    - waiting for ts3 server query "error id=0 msg=ok": 1.4 seconds
    - parsing and working on informations: up to 0.1 seconds

Thank you for reading.

Mariusz Bieniek
    http://www.tsviewer.com
    Last edited by ginger|HFD; August 3rd, 2014 at 01:46 PM.

The only educated guess I can make is that when you query by hostname that has to be resolved to an IP address, so adding an extra step (two if the hostname is a CNAME to an A record)

Edit: So the only thing I can suggest is forcing your users to supply an IP address rather than a hostname

Quote Originally Posted by Air SeaTac View Post
    Edit: So the only thing I can suggest is forcing your users to supply an IP address rather than a hostname
    Bad solution because, it's my case, I have a dynamic IP so in tsviewer i have to declare an addressname from dyndns.

It is technically impossible for this bug to exist at serverside, see RFC 791 and RFC 793.
    Additionally, I don't have the bug. Must be your framework or something else. The only thing I have is that the windows telnet client takes a second to start for localhost but starts instantly for 127.0.0.1. YaTQA doesn't care and connects instantly.

Sorry i wasnt precise enough and got it not correct on the first try to describe it.

Its not about if its a DNS or direct ip. Its about a delay if it is remote connection.

When i telnet my teamspeak server (running in the internet) from my home computer, its a remote connection and i get this "delay" but only for the line "error id=0 msg=ok". The first part of the reply comes instantly.

When i telnet the teamspeak server directly from the host its running on, there is no delay whatsoever.

I do not mean some internet connection delay or something. Its just this line "error id=0 msg=ok" is delayed by the server when it is a remote connection.

command: version
    answer (instant): version=3.0.10.3 build=1388593719 platform=Windows
    answer (delayed) second part: error id=0 msg=ok

I can demonstrate it for example with when querying the server with php. Somehow the ts server thinks its a remote connection when i connect to localhost. Querying and parsing needs 1.036 seconds then (see screenshot).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ts3_localhost.PNG 
Views:	58 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	11063

When connecting to 127.0.0.1 it takes 0.030 seconds to get everything done, see this screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ts3_127.PNG 
Views:	62 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	11064

Can you guys observe the delay with remote connections (not from localhost) too?

Regards
    Mariusz Bieniek
    http://www.tsviewer.com
    Last edited by ginger|HFD; August 3rd, 2014 at 01:49 PM.

As I already said, the TS server cannot think it's a remote connection. Read the linked RFCs. They clearly explain why this cannot be.

Thread Information