Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

LAN works, WAN doesn't. Yet everything tests perfectly.

I used THIS VIDEO to set up Teamspeak 3 64 bit on Win 7 on my own home server connected to a switch and then from the switch to an Asus RT-n66u router which is connected to a cable modem through Cox digital cable.

Everything works perfectly, this server is also a cloud server and I can access it just fine remotely through https://cloud.xxxxxxx.com:8888/owncloud/ through a self-signed SSL certificate and apache.

So if I could build all that, you'd think 3 simple port forwards would work. When I test them with the open port test utility with portforward.com, all three ports (9987 UDP, 10011 TCP, 30033 TCP) are open. I test them through telnet like in the video and get the same results he did.

Yet when trying to connect through my WAN IP address it pauses for a few seconds on:

Trying to connect to server on 70.173.xxx.102

Then in red it says:

Failed to connect to server

I have no password and I set up permissions exactly like the guy did.

Any ideas? I have windows firewall on the server disabled and no virus protection software.

Very few routers will allow you to connect from an internal host to an internal host via the WAN IP, can you connect to Teamspeak via its LAN IP?

Not sure what you mean by "connect from an internal host to an internal host". I'm trying to get outside 'clients' to connect to my server. I'm trying to set up a standard hosting setup as outlined in the video if you watch it, which does, as the subject states, work totally fine on my LAN. I can connect without issue through any client machine in the house using the LAN IP (192.168.1.7). However, I can't get anyone remote to log into it successfully using my WAN IP address (the one you find by googling 'what is my IP address'). While it's not officially a static address, it's an address that never changes through my ISP.

And I know I can connect to the server remotely through other ports because it's operating perfectly as a cloud server.

Quote Originally Posted by VGLance View Post
    Yet when trying to connect through my WAN IP address it pauses for a few seconds on:
    The way this was worded I thought you were trying to connect through your WAN IP, my mistake

I figured out that it was working all along. You just can't use a local machine on the LAN to try to connect using the WAN IP. I had someone from outside my network try to log in and everything is working. It just seemed like in the video I referenced in the OP, that the guy was using a local machine to connect via the WAN IP and he was able to do it, so I figured I could as well.

Quote Originally Posted by VGLance View Post
    You just can't use a local machine on the LAN to try to connect using the WAN IP.
    That was exactly what Air Sea Tac told you in Post #2.

Thread Information