Forum

Custom connection resolver

Ok, first off I am not looking for someone to make this for me. I want to make this my self. Now that, that is out of the way.

Here is the idea,

Teamspeak Client -> Connections -> Connect -> Server Address -> (type in server address, aka something like "theserver") -> connects to "theserver" -> end.

Ok so the idea is to be able to us non-IPs and/or non-DNS/URLs to connect to a server. So in place of "ts.theserver.com", I would use "theserver". The way ts3 resolves the server address that is a domain/url is, Check for PTR record, check for TSDNS server on the ip of the record, check for ts3 server on the ip of the record.

What I want to do is add a check to the connection, if the server address is not a IP address or domain/url address, run a check on a set of so called "tsdns" (for this we will call it "tsname") servers for the address used. If the tsname server sends back the IP:Port of the server to go to, just like tsdns does, everything works, else the client gets a 404.

The hole idea here is to be able to NOT use domain names or IP address at all for the user to type in. In their place they will just use a name of the server they want to connect to. Ofcorse this name has to be in the tsname system. the tsname system will be ran by me and I have it built and ready to go. It is a full rework of the TSDNS server and has a lot of more things that it can do.

What I need is a plugin that can watch out going new connections and check if the address is a domain/ip or not and if not do its only check and return the IP:Port.

I read over the plugin SDK and I saw somethings, but I am not sure if this can even be done. Would anyone be able to tell me if this is at all possable, and if so any pointers would be useful. Thanks for reading this long post.

If you have any questions please make a reply or PM me.

If this is a plugin, it makes no sense if two people cannot use the same address to connect to the same remote server.

The idea is if you want to be able to use this service to connect to the servers by just using a name, you have to have the plugin installed. If it is not installed it will not work. Now after this takes off and works well, the idea would be to have teamspeak add this into TS3 by default, and ether make is active by default or if the client wants to use it.

Personally at first I want it for my self and my friends that would use it. In total I could have about 1,000+ users using it from the start. I run a large network of TSDNS servers now and I am just trying to find ways to make it better.
    Last edited by Dasoren; October 29th, 2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer

With the plugin api alone, no not really.
    There's no interception via the API, the first time you get notice would be the connection status change event, and for some reason TS ain't of the opinion to ask mere plugins for allowance to continue, you know ;D

You'd either have to do an own gui for that, reimplementing the current one with the api (that should be quite doable) and adding your own connection stuff in front, or monitor for errors for the connection attempts, putting it on the end - rather hacky but transparent gui wise.

philosound, Thanks for that info. That is what I was seeing to, but was hoping I missed something. The adding it to the end in the API, I would not see this as a good way at all of doing it, and remaking the app to add in a connection manager seems pointless as well.

Thanks for looking into to it though.

Thread Information