Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

People rejoin after ban

Within the last 12 hours I have noticed an issue where the ban system is inadequate for keeping clients from reconnecting once they have been banned from the server. There has been a troll that keeps joining the server, getting banned, then instantly coming back with a new IP + ID, repeatedly over and over, just to get banned again and be back within a few seconds. The server is running 3.0.11.1. I had to keep banning more and more IP addresses to the point where it was becoming boring with having to repeatedly surgically remove him from existing on the server permanently

To Avoid this u can add a level requirement for the Server. Unfortunatly People dont really raise their Levels. So u end up keeping people out u actually want in.

Angry

I had this exact same issue, also last night. Myself and a friend were up all night blocking more VPN IP addresses than I care to mention. I think the ban system needs more magic. I have a regular expression I use, which goes like this "Trolls are not welcome, especially if they use VPN's".

The security rating system does not work. I documented a troll convoy that happened to me, before TS overhauled the ban system. They were so cocky that they explained why I could not do anything about them. There was several of them and each day they would make a handful of ID's and boost the security rating of them and once they got them high enough they would share all those high ID's with the rest of their little troll posse. So after a week or so they have so many high level ID's that you had to essentially lock your server and prevent anyone coming in.

So I was a big fan when TS improved the ban system, but I think it is probably time for them to improve it a bit more. On the whole it is very good, but there is a minority of people who know how it all works.

Just put a password on your server for a time. Registered users will still be able to join like nothing happened.

That is not a good solution for a public and community servers. Our whole point is we need people to enter, but we need to keep banned people out. TeamSpeak obviously care about this based on their actions a while back. I only hope they research on how to further that goal to produce more robust banning.

If you are hosting a public server, this is your personal issue. You should know better, what you are doing, what is the risks, and how to offset them.
    If this is a community server, you should rethink the server policy. Every community server I've been to never let guests past the lounge without an invitation.

I let members of my community choose how to secure their sections. They can leave them public or close them off as much as they want. The point is not access levels, the point is keeping people who have been banned from coming back. As I have said the TS development team cared enough to implement "magic" to the ban system before. But enough time has passed that it is starting to get figured out by the minority of hardcore trolls.

No amount of magic will surpass the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    No amount of magic will surpass the knowledge.
    That is true, but the more knowledge that is required, the less chance people will figure it out on their own and the less willing people who do figure it out will be to share it freely online.

There is no perfect ban system and there will not be any.
    User will always find a way to avoid a ban.

You have following options to solve that problem:
    • Use a high security level on your voice server
    • Put a password on your server and give it to the people.
    • Put a password on your server and assign the permission to ignore it to your member groups. But don't tell anyone else the password.
    • Remove the possibility for Guests to move out from default channel, to write in there etc. and to subscribe any channel

Edit
    The Question how we could improve the ban system stands in the room.
    Any idea is welcome.
    Last edited by dante696; January 1st, 2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: sorted
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

How to Fix a bug with bypass ban

Person who banish the server , it somehow bypasses obrozom ban, uvilichit security level is not an option , since it is not convenient for other users , what are the options to remedy this situation?

Banned user reconnects

Hi there,

I am not the owner, just the admin, for a community TS, so all I know about are simple right, moving people, sometimes I have to kick or ban someone, so this might be not enough information for you guys to help me out, but I`ll contact the owner asap with all you need to know about our server.

Our problem is that 1 user keeps connecting even if banned and flaming people. The only thing we can do about it right now is setting up a password, but this is not the best solution since we are a quite big community and we do not have the chance to inform all 6000 users personally and also dont want to creare a thread within our forum, he could simply read it as well. How does he manage to / how can we get rid of him?

As I said above, let me know what u need to know to help me, I`d be very pleased.

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Last edited by dante696; November 23rd, 2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: nothing we can solve, everything said in post #10

Stoppping Server Trolls

G'day all,

Lately I've been experiencing a lot of problems on my TS server with some trolls, and was hoping you fine gents could help me out.

As a backstory, I banned some clowns from my public TS server that supports some gaming servers I run. These guys took it to heart and have now taken to masking their IPs to get around the IP bans.

Myself and the admin team have been playing police, but it is getting out of control and disruptive. I have strongly considered placing a password on my TS server, but it is not something I really want to be doing.

Without placing a password, is there anything I can do? I don't believe there is anything such as a MAC ban, but that term has been thrown around. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by dante696; January 8th, 2016 at 08:36 AM. Reason: merged, social problem see post #10

Definitive ban for user

Good Morning,

I have a banned user on my teamspeak 3 server but gets re-entered using a program to change the ip address. Is there any way to ban the whole way?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by dante696; November 18th, 2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: merged

Teamspeak bans are too easy to bypass

Hey there,

I'm an administrator on a Teamspeak-Server with ~200 active members. Such a server is like a magnet for trolls. The problem that I've seen in the last time again and again is, that many trolls or community-banned people are visiting our server although they are actually banned. I know how to bypass a teamspeak-ban, but I won't explain it in public. I think everybody who is interested in this topic, will find how it works. If a Teamspeak-Staff member needs this information, he can send me a PM of course.

I think nearly all server-administrators will agree with me.

It's really annoying, that people can change their Teamspeak-ID in ~2 minutes and come back to troll again. The problem is, that teamspeak does not provide an real effective ban-system. You can bypass that in a a very short time.
    Yes, I know, everybody who really wants to bypass a ban, will have success, but I think the cost-benefit factor is a good indicator to stop bypassing teamspeak-bans.
    So I think it would be a big success, if the Teamspeak-Developers would make it harder to bypass this bans. Maybe they could create a kind of "Computer-ID" that you can ban for example.

Thanks in advance.
    I wish a happy new year.

Greatings
    Hathion

EDIT: Sorry for my double post @Dante.
    My idea: Still let your permissions be saved at one of the different identities that you can create. But create an extra set "Client-Identity" that is bound on the Teamspeak-Client or the computer (if possible) itself that you can't change so easily. You should only have one(!) "Client Identity" of course. Then make it possible that you don't ban the unique ID of a user (as until now) rather allow only banning the set "Client Identity" that is bound on your Teamspeak-Client/Computer.
    Last edited by Hathion; January 1st, 2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added idea

Thread Information