Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Moving from Windows Server to OpenSuSE 13.1 Server

Would like input on what steps are successful in migrating to new Linux server. Have license key saved to USB, need to know if windows data is useable in conversion to Linux, or how to "port" the information over.

Have SAMBA set up and running, net access confirmed. Tutorials seem to be useable under SuSE even if written for Debian or Fedora / CentOS.

Any help will be most welcome.

Should be usable.

I would NOT recommend to directly use SQLite database over network share.

And a good backup is always your best friiend.

Thanks - was not going to share the DB, only use a network share to facilitate the move from Windows 7 to SuSE 13.1 (removing windows from the server). There seem to be several ways to set up TS3 server, most of the tips are pointing to Ubuntu, looking into the steps for Fedora / CentOS they do not mention setting up MySQL side for the server, indicating it may not be needed after all. As SuSE is more inline with RedHat than Ubuntu, I am wondering if MySQL is still needed.

Has anyone had success with setting up the Teamspeak 3 Server on OpenSuSE or Enterprise SuSE Linux?

Any thoughts?

MySQL could be beneficial, if you manage a large userbase, or have specific requirements for authentication and authorization.
    Any how-to or tutorial, that insist on requirement of setting up MySQL in order to run TS3 server is just. plain. wrong.
    Generally speaking, it should "just work". Designed to be so.

I have less than 20 users on at any point, no more than two admins. Just a small group of gamers that hang out online on the weekends. If I have this right, a standard install would be best. Any good thoughts on preserving log in data from Windows to Linux?

Just copy whole contents of the server forlder over, and dump Linux binaries on top of that.
    As I said, "should just work". In case it doesn't, you can always take a longer route of dumping your server through query console and uploading it to a new installation.

Cool

OK... This is what I was able to determine with my attempts to "migrate" the data over from my Windows Server box:

1. Moving data over from Windows to Linux teamspeak user "home" folder using FTP was not successful, some files were not supported and could not be moved.
    2. Extracting from TAR normally and moving files from Windows to Linux via jump drive in 'overwrite' attempt failed, server loads then fails immediately, no log information other than "service failed to start"

The only way I was able to get Teamspeak running was without moving any information over save the license.dat file. What worked for me:

1. Create new user to run teamspeak only.
    2. Download and unpack latest server files for Linux.
    3. Rename created teamspeak folder to TS3Server (easier to read and use).
    4. Run initial setup script, generate the configuration file (first run)
    5. Copy password and token information to text file, save to jump drive.
    6. Modify the .ini file, update IP information for server address.
    7. copy license file to main directory.
    8. Run server script, check status
    9. Open up ports on firewall, router and adjust forwarding point to new server IP.
    10. Open client, use token and modify virtual server details.

In total, with trouble shooting this project to move / migrate information across from Windows was unsuccessful, but I was able to learn from it regardless. I now am much better with FTP and remote access, scripting and file movement than I was previously. ;-}

Thanks to all that have helped!

Quote Originally Posted by CBHedricks View Post
    OK... This is what I was able to determine with my attempts to "migrate" the data over from my Windows Server box:

1. Moving data over from Windows to Linux teamspeak user "home" folder using FTP was not successful, some files were not supported and could not be moved.
    I wouldn't be surprised, that FTP attempted to transfer some files as text, irreparable damaging them in process.
    When you already stop using this ancient protocol and move on to something that doesn't involve alot of thinkering to do simple tasks?

2. Extracting from TAR normally and moving files from Windows to Linux via jump drive in 'overwrite' attempt failed, server loads then fails immediately, no log information other than "service failed to start"
    Again, depends on what you've used to tarball the source data on Windows host, may greatly influence the outcome of the unpacking. But this is a problem in certain tar realisations for Windows... unfortunately.

The only way I was able to get Teamspeak running was without moving any information over save the license.dat file. What worked for me:

1. Create new user to run teamspeak only.
    2. Download and unpack latest server files for Linux.
    3. Rename created teamspeak folder to TS3Server (easier to read and use).
    4. Run initial setup script, generate the configuration file (first run)
    5. Copy password and token information to text file, save to jump drive.
    6. Modify the .ini file, update IP information for server address.
    7. copy license file to main directory.
    8. Run server script, check status
    9. Open up ports on firewall, router and adjust forwarding point to new server IP.
    10. Open client, use token and modify virtual server details.

In total, with trouble shooting this project to move / migrate information across from Windows was unsuccessful, but I was able to learn from it regardless. I now am much better with FTP and remote access, scripting and file movement than I was previously. ;-}

Thanks to all that have helped!
    1. SFTP or Samba(AKA "normal" Windows file sharing) would have been the better choice, as they are strictly binary protocols, and do not apply any confusing translations to transmitted data. And likely give you immediate results.
    2. I do not discount the possibility of access rights issues after moving files the way you did it initially. Though, this is always a possibility with any file transfer operation between Linux hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised, that FTP attempted to transfer some files as text, irreparable damaging them in process.
    When you already stop using this ancient protocol and move on to something that doesn't involve alot of thinkering to do simple tasks?
    I agree... The servers are co located, a jump drive was used when FTP / simple transfer agent failed. Same result was obtained as one of the files was unreadable, possibly damaged or corrupted by my attempts to move it unsuccessfully with FTP.

Again, depends on what you've used to tarball the source data on Windows host, may greatly influence the outcome of the unpacking. But this is a problem in certain tar realisations for Windows... unfortunately.
    The tarball was obtained from the file download directory listed by Teamspeak.org. Same file was used on all three failed attempts as well as the final working solution. I used the recommended TAR command in Terminal, logged in as my teamspeak user, and also as root user.

1. SFTP or Samba(AKA "normal" Windows file sharing) would have been the better choice, as they are strictly binary protocols, and do not apply any confusing translations to transmitted data. And likely give you immediate results.
    2. I do not discount the possibility of access rights issues after moving files the way you did it initially. Though, this is always a possibility with any file transfer operation between Linux hosts.
    LOL... As i have said, my knowledge of Linux has increased, and the experience was most helpful in obtaining a better understanding of several principals within Linux, and how it works with Windows.

Bump: Script File broken after updates to OpenSUSE...

The teamspeak server operates smoothly under OpenSUSE 13.x and runs fine until reboot. The script file I was using appears to be broken by the latest update to 13.1, and I cannot see why. I am including it in the message, need some assistance determining what is not working correctly.

Thanks in advance for help.

#!/bin/sh
    # chkconfig: 2345 99 10
    USER="ts3user"
    TS3='/home/ts3user/ts3server'
    STARTSCRIPT="$TS3/ts3server_startscript.sh"
    cd $TS3
    case "$1" in
    'start')
    su $USER -c "$STARTSCRIPT start"
    ;;
    'stop')
    su $USER -c "$STARTSCRIPT stop"
    ;;
    'restart')
    su $USER -c "$STARTSCRIPT restart"
    ;;
    'status')
    su $USER -c "$STARTSCRIPT status"
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage $0 start|stop|restart|status"
    esac
    Last edited by CBHedricks; November 6th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

OK... Found out what was broken on upgrade. Had to reset the ts3user account and use chmod to update permissions on teamspeak server files. Once completed, moved (copied) the teamspeak script file to the /etc/init.d folder, activated using 'chkconfig --add teamspeak', then 'chkconfig --level 2345 teamspeak on' command and rebooted to verify it was installed.

It is working again - WooT!

If anyone else needs this, feel free to copy

Thread Information