Forum

Moved my server to a new doamin and lost URL connection ability.

I recently moved the guild website from www.archeage-infinity.enjin.com to www.guild-infinity.com and lost the ability to have our members connect to anything apart from the IP address (with port), in the past, we were able to connect via archeage-infinity.enjinvoice.com, I've tried having it so that we can connect to ts.guild-infinity.com, but am yet to see results sadly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ts-1.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	11708

The thing I'm struggling with is what to put in all of these entry boxes (as well as knowing if I even need to touch the "A" section as some people say I do, other's say I don't).

Name:	dns.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	11709

In "A" type's fields, I have the following:

Host: TS.
    Answer: 216.127.64.92.
    TTL: 1800

In "SRV" type's fields, I have the following:

Service: _ts3
    Protocol: _udp.ts
    Weight: 5
    Port: 9255
    Domain: 216.127.64.92.
    Priority: 0

In "CNAME" type's fields, I have the following:

Host: TS.
    Answer: 216.127.64.92.

I'm unsure as to where I've gone wrong; whether I've added a period (.) where it didn't need to be added or even that I have neglected to add one where it did.

If anyone would care to take a stab at this for me, it'd be very appreciated:

"A" type's fields:

Host:
    Answer:
    TTL:

"SRV" type's fields:

Service:
    Protocol:
    Weight:
    Port:
    Domain:
    TTL:
    Priority:

"CNAME" type's fields:

Host:
    Answer:
    TTL:

To add a bit more information, this is the document I was referred to in order to read up on how to perform the change over, I've followed the instructions as best as I could understand, but I've clearly failed.

Some other advice I've been offered...

Your domain isn't using our nameservers so you'll need to setup the server subdomain on your registrar's DNS panel.

Look here for info on this: https://support.enjin.com/hc/en-us/a...peak-3-Servers
    Try this
    Under host:
    Protocol _.udp.ts3
    Under answer:
    Domain: teamspeak

Make an A record:
    teamspeak pointing to the IP
    and finally...

Your SRV setup is pointing to 'ts.guild-infinity.com'.
    You also shouldn't need to add any A or CNAME records, a SRV record itself should be fine.

The Subdomain extension for your server SRV is whatever you add after '_udp.'

This is what I had for the first attempt; ignore the IP address, which was changed in server relocation...

Name:	ts.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	11714

I don't know if its something as simple as me not putting a period (.) at a specific point or not either.

A SRV record MUST point to an A record. It MUSTN'T point to a CNAME or an IP.

Quote Originally Posted by RFC 2782
    Here is the format of the SRV RR, whose DNS type code is 33:

_Service._Proto.Name TTL Class SRV Priority Weight Port Target

Target
    The domain name of the target host. There MUST be one or more
    address records for this name, the name MUST NOT be an alias (in
    the sense of RFC 1034 or RFC 2181).
    As you might have noticed... the "Name" part is missing in the web interface of your provider... in that field you would enter "ts".

_Service = _ts3
    _Proto = _udp

Name = <missing>

and so on

As Barungar pointed out, SRV record MUST point to a domain address associated with A record.
    Not to an IP address or CNAME record.
    The SRV itself could be a CNAME, however. (i.e. "_ts3._udp CNAME example.org.") but I'm not sure if TS3 support such configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Teknoslasher View Post
    This is what I had for the first attempt; ignore the IP address, which was changed in server relocation...

Name:	ts.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	11714

I don't know if its something as simple as me not putting a period (.) at a specific point or not either.
    There's no record by this definition in DNS currently.
    I suggest if you want diagnostics from us, to keep your attepts online for a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post

As you might have noticed... the "Name" part is missing in the web interface of your provider... in that field you would enter "ts".
    That would be SRV record for a host, not for domain.

_Service = _ts3
    _Proto = _udp

Name = <missing>
    I bet the panel is retarded, and you must exclude underscore from definition.
    I saw this issue before.

Not nessecarily. While DNS SRV records are designed such that you can point to servers on a particular domain, they're really only needed for protocols such as SIP or XMPP. Plus, having records of servers on your domain is a security risk, but that's beside the point.

As Barungar pointed out, SRV record MUST point to a domain address associated with A record.
    Not to an IP address or CNAME record.
    The SRV itself could be a CNAME, however. (i.e. "_ts3._udp CNAME example.org.") but I'm not sure if TS3 support such configuration.
    TS3, from what I understand, doesn't need to support such configuration. I'll give you guys an example in my own configuration.

I have an old desktop in End of Life running Debian 7 "Wheezy" for my TS3 server. Because I'm on a semi-public lan at a university, my IP address has the potential to change all the time, such is the nature of DHCP networks. Here's how I go about getting people to my server:

I have 2 domains that I AXFR'd to my current domain registrar (whose name I shall withheld since they are only in beta currently and I have a partial NDA), whom allows me to do dynamic DNS along with normal managed DNS. I set up one of the unique domain names with the dynamic DNS (since for some reason or another I can use only one) and use the other as a bunch of CNAMEs to the dynamic DNS domain. In essence, I have one domain controlling host names that allow valid routing to my network, and another that takes in the passed CNAMEs from the other domain and performs the actual routing because it points to the IP of my server at that particular time (well, a router, but you get the picture)

So, really, what I'm trying to get at is if you have the potential to make it simpler, do so! Otherwise, I'll do my research a little more and see what I can come up with, I've had to set up an SRV record or two for some gamer clans in a blue moon.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneOhOne View Post
    Not nessecarily. While DNS SRV records are designed such that you can point to servers on a particular domain, they're really only needed for protocols such as SIP or XMPP. Plus, having records of servers on your domain is a security risk, but that's beside the point.
    If you think the RFCs are crap, discuss that with the IETF.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneOhOne View Post
    Not nessecarily. While DNS SRV records are designed such that you can point to servers on a particular domain, they're really only needed for protocols such as SIP or XMPP.
    WHAT?
    SRV is a generic mechanism, that used extensively for pointing clients to right services.

Plus, having records of servers on your domain is a security risk, but that's beside the point.
    What? No, WHAT? If I don't set a record for a service, people won't know, where to find it, and will be unable to connect.
    Please run your posts through a simply logic check before submitting them.
    Not to mention, how your below-proposed CNAME's are more secure, than SRV records?

TS3, from what I understand, doesn't need to support such configuration. I'll give you guys an example in my own configuration.
    SRV records is not a "configuration", it is a way to tell clients where to find specific services in your domain.

I have an old desktop in End of Life running Debian 7 "Wheezy" for my TS3 server. Because I'm on a semi-public lan at a university, my IP address has the potential to change all the time, such is the nature of DHCP networks. Here's how I go about getting people to my server:

I have 2 domains that I AXFR'd to my current domain registrar (whose name I shall withheld since they are only in beta currently and I have a partial NDA), whom allows me to do dynamic DNS along with normal managed DNS. I set up one of the unique domain names with the dynamic DNS (since for some reason or another I can use only one) and use the other as a bunch of CNAMEs to the dynamic DNS domain. In essence, I have one domain controlling host names that allow valid routing to my network, and another that takes in the passed CNAMEs from the other domain and performs the actual routing because it points to the IP of my server at that particular time (well, a router, but you get the picture)

So, really, what I'm trying to get at is if you have the potential to make it simpler, do so! Otherwise, I'll do my research a little more and see what I can come up with, I've had to set up an SRV record or two for some gamer clans in a blue moon.
    Your "configuration" is all but a nonsense. CNAME doesn't let you specify service port, nor it allow for failower configurations.
    Instead of your CNAME, try setting up SRV record
    Code:
    _ts3._udp SRV 1 10 <port> <your_DDNS_name>
    You'll see how much it'll simplify your life.

Thread Information