Forum


Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    7

    Random Teamspeak servers are connecting to my TS server.

    Hi all,

    I am running a TS server for years, but in the last few days I noticed that random IP's are connecting to my TS server. They are not connected as a TS user, but I see the connections in my firewall on the TS port (9987 UDP). After some research I noiticed that these IP's are also running TeamSpeak servers.

    Example IP's that were connected to my TS server. Research via Google revealed that they are running TS servers:
    https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/8.9.5.238:9161/
    https://www.gametracker.com/server_i....122.129:6023/
    https://www.planetteamspeak.com/serv...3.50.228:9987/

    Why are other TS servers connecting to my TS server? Please let me know, I don't like suspicious connections.

    FYI: I am running the lates TS version (3.0.11.2) on Windows.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    86
    It's normal,
    for example, if u install ts3 client on your windows server, and u join a server. When the server's owner google ur IP, he will find a ts3 server.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    June 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,368
    There are advertising bots, advertising TS servers. Do you have a server password?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for your response. My server does not have a password at the moment. I am wondering how did these other TS servers found my IP? Does the TS server software automatically share it's IP in a list? Furthermore what kind of connection do these other server have with my server? I dont see them as a user. What is this bot trying to do?

    Just to be clear, it is an incoming connection from other TS servers on UDP port 9987. Furthermore I am not using the TS client on my server.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    7
    Update: Even with a password protected Teamspeak server I am getting unkown inbound connections.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    June 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,368
    Unknown inbound connections actually make more sense with a password, that's why I was asking. People could just have tried to connect to your server but failed to name the password.

    But without a password, I have no clue what this is.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    El Prat de Llobregat (Barcelona, Spain)
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    Unknown inbound connections actually make more sense with a password, that's why I was asking. People could just have tried to connect to your server but failed to name the password.

    But without a password, I have no clue what this is.
    Better the OP should include the real content of the server log, instead of his interpretation of it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    7
    I just checked, but the unknown inbound connections are not registered in the teamspeak server log.

    In the following screenshot you can see 7 inbound connections (Firewall). However as a teamspeak admin I can only see 3 connected users, these IP's are not logged in the Teamspeak logs. Furthermore these strange connections just started 3 days ago.

    Name:  example.PNG
Views: 1142
Size:  35.4 KB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    June 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,368
    Please note that the free version of YaTQA does not refresh in realtime. You can show query clients in TS (either in bookmarks or by an extra button).
    However, UDP clients (especially those in your channel) are always visible. As I said, I don't know what this is. Might be some sort-of DDoS. Is your server weblisted?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    Please note that the free version of YaTQA does not refresh in realtime. You can show query clients in TS (either in bookmarks or by an extra button).
    However, UDP clients (especially those in your channel) are always visible. As I said, I don't know what this is. Might be some sort-of DDoS. Is your server weblisted?
    Could be a Dos attempt indeed, however I find it strange that the traffic is comming from other Teamspeak servers. My server is not publicly weblisted (only using it with some friends), so how did multiple hosts (around 30 now) indentified my IP adres. A scenario could be that the theamspeak server or third party app is publishing my IP on a list? But it seems I am the only one with this problem.... And again thanks for your help!

    Note: I verified the number of users also in the teamspeak client and in the logs.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    El Prat de Llobregat (Barcelona, Spain)
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
    I just checked, but the unknown inbound connections are not registered in the teamspeak server log.
    If a client connects to the virtual server, using port 9987, this connection is registered in the log.
    Obviously, you must to have activated the logging (Edit virtual server --> Logs Tab --> )

    @numma_cway: query clients don't connect by port 9987 UDP, so the connection should be clients.

    @Fumble: You say "However as a teamspeak admin I can only see 3 connected users, these IP's are not logged in the Teamspeak logs", so does this mean that this 3 connected users correspond with 3 of the 7 inbound connections present in your firewall???

  12. #12
    Join Date
    June 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
    But it seems I am the only one with this problem....
    I don’t actually care. And if I did, I wouldn’t know how to check if I am affected.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by PotaBlava View Post
    @Fumble: You say "However as a teamspeak admin I can only see 3 connected users, these IP's are not logged in the Teamspeak logs", so does this mean that this 3 connected users correspond with 3 of the 7 inbound connections present in your firewall???
    That is correct.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    El Prat de Llobregat (Barcelona, Spain)
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
    That is correct.
    Ok. Then... could be the firewall is shown a kind of list of the connections in a period of time, I mean "not in the current time" (so some clients are not connected now but their IP appears in the list)??

    And, I think it's important, the client IPs (and theirs local ports) have to be in the virtual server log, if you have this kind log activated.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    7
    The screenshot of the Firewall are live active connections. Furthermore I only have teamspeak users from The Netherlands. These other IP's are from France, Germany, UK etc. When I look in the VirtualServer log I can see the valid users and their IP's (and ports). However the unkown IP's are not reported in the log file.

    Maybe the only solution is to whitelist the IP of valid users.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Teamspeak Not Connecting to Servers All of a Sudden
    By BrianMercurio in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 29th, 2015, 01:52 AM
  2. Troubles connecting to all Teamspeak servers
    By TheXylis in forum Windows
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 26th, 2014, 09:35 AM
  3. Having issues connecting to several Teamspeak servers.
    By Orian Thompson in forum Client Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 21st, 2013, 02:48 PM
  4. Issues with connecting to TeamSpeak servers
    By TrueSman in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2011, 08:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •