Forum

[Suggestion] Ability to add unique IDs to groups before first connect

I am currently in the process of migrating a TS3 server from one machine to another. Due to the current hoster preventing the use of serversnapshotcreate, I am stuck with doing it manually. It was easy enough to copy the unique IDs of identities in various groups from the old instance but when trying to add these IDs to corresponding groups on the new server, it refuses to do so, saying the ID is unknown and I am offered the option of creating an invitation instead.

My current understanding of TS3 authentication is that the unique ID is enough for a server to recognize a user and it should therefore be possible to introduce a new user to a server before said user connects for the first time. I also suspect that the underlying database structure may not allow for this to be done. My suggestion is to make this possible as it would be even more convenient than distributing authentication tokens in this, or a similar, situation.

I don't think there is a supported way to copy clients... so how did you do it. Don't say via manually fumbling in the database because if you did... you lost all change to get help here.

Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post
    I don't think there is a supported way to copy clients... so how did you do it. Don't say via manually fumbling in the database because if you did... you lost all change to get help here.
    No, it's actually quite easy. You go into the Server Groups, select a group, select all the associated IDs in the list on the right side, right-click the selection and click on "Copy unique ID to clipboard". You can then paste the bunch of unique IDs into a text file, you get one unique ID per line.

Well and how do you get those transfered to the new server? I don't know any "client add" command or something alike.

Well and how do you get those transfered to the new server? I don't know any "client add" command or something alike.
    Connect to the new server, open the Server Groups, select a group and below the list on the right is a button to add a user by unique ID or database ID. Entering one of the unique IDs from the old server produces the error I described in the OP.

Yeah, and there you think wrong. That function is to add an existing user to a server group. It only allows you to search the local database by uniqueID or by dbID. Both ways to search require that the dataset is available in the servers database. But in your case they won't. Because there is NO supported way to manually add a client to the servers database.

And also I don't think it would be a good to add clients that way.

Yeah, and there you think wrong. That function is to add an existing user to a server group. It only allows you to search the local database by uniqueID or by dbID. Both ways to search require that the dataset is available in the servers database. But in your case they won't. Because there is NO supported way to manually add a client to the servers database.
    That's why this is a suggestion and not a "Help me with this issue"-thread.

Thinking about this some more, I do realize that there are risks with letting users manually enter unique IDs into the database and that the usefulness might be too low to justify them, but based on my current predicament it seemed a reasonable course of action to suggest it, even if it gets rejected.

I think this was already suggested sometime over the last 5 years. I know I would like this at times. I too think if the UID is not already in the database that if adding to a permanent server group the user should be prompted to let them know and ask if they want to add anyway. If users selects yes, create record using next CIDBID, put connection count to 0, first and last connection to empty or some "0" date, nick set to something like "[pending connection]" and leave last IP empty. Maybe a log entry for user UID manually added by CLID, not sure the logging area that would be under. Bind that new CLBDID to the SGID, log as needed based on server configuration.

We will not add this into the server.
    We already have a feature that allows you to add people into groups, when they connect first time to your server.
    Please use Privilege Keys for this.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

You could always just contact your current hoster and ask them for a snapshot of your server, it's a crazy idea I know
    Anyways many hosters will probably grant you the wish and provide you with a snapshot.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

dante, you've seen some of the crazy group setups some admins have, groups just for icons and such. This could easily results in 8+ invites per user to get all of the server and channel groups for that user.

Well, perhaps it would be possible to modify the "privilege key"-system. The "privilege key" is stored in the servers db... the client enters the "privilege key" and gets the associated group. Why just one?! Perhaps a solution could be to have "privilege keys" that include many groups. So the user enters one "privilege key" and get's x groups.

Thread Information