Forum

Local network connection woes - errorError_connection_initialisation

I've ran into some strange behavior when using the Teamspeak Android client on two different KitKat phones and a KitKat tablet.

My setup is pretty simple, if a little odd. I have a Teamspeak server and a wifi access point. The Internet is NOT connected to this network in any way. If you connect to the access point, you can reach the Teamspeak server and nothing else. Everybody gets a 192.168.42.x address.

If I use my PC to connect to the "local" wifi, I can connect to the Teamspeak server by IP address just fine.
    Connecting with the Android client gives the message "errorError_connection_initialisation"

But wait! Here's the weird part:
    If I leave the Android Teamspeak client open, connect to internet-enabled wifi, and connect to any other Teamspeak server (the public one, for example, or my other internet-enabled Teamspeak server), I can connect as expected.
    If I then reconnect to the "local" wifi (with Teamspeak still open), I can suddenly connect to the server that was failing before.

This ugly workaround works until some arbitrary period of time passes (> 1 hour ?). All I can say for sure is that after a few hours of idle I have to do this dance again to be able to connect. I originally thought that rebooting would trigger it, too, but after some tests it doesn't seem to. Maybe Teamspeak tries to connect to the Internet to do something every so often? I don't have any way to tell. Restarting the wifi access point and Teamspeak server seem to have no effect.

It's worth noting that I occasionally get a "Critical payment error" message because it can't validate against Google (with no Internet connection). When this happens I just connect to the internet and restart the app to make that particular error go away. It's annoying too, but seems like mostly reasonable behavior. The behavior I've described above happens whether or not I get an error about verifying the payment with Google.

I believe I can reproduce this 100% of the time by using these steps:
    • Wait 24 hours
    • Reboot Android phone
    • Connect to local, non-internet enabled wifi
    • Connect to 192.168.42.1:9987 (the IP of my local server)
    • Get connection error message
    • Connect to internet enabled wifi
    • Connect to any Teamspeak server (I'm not 100% sure this is necessary, sometimes I can just restart the app)
    • Connect back to local wifi
    • Connect to 192.168.42.1:9987 (works now)

I'm running version 3.0.17. I signed up for the beta channel, but the version seems to currently be the same (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm fairly Android savvy. If I can collect any additional debugging information (perhaps via ADB), let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by combustible View Post
    My setup is pretty simple, if a little odd. I have a Teamspeak server and a wifi access point. The Internet is NOT connected to this network in any way. If you connect to the access point, you can reach the Teamspeak server and nothing else. Everybody gets a 192.168.42.x address.
    First at all: TS3 server has to be connected to the internet to be working, it has to access to the license server.

Hi PotaBlava, thanks for the reply.

I hadn't even considered this, since it seems to work.

I have two questions:

Why does the Windows client connect, but the Android version returns an error?

My Teamspeak server will have at most three connected users (this is offline, after all, reachable only by Android clients within wifi range). I thought the "free" license covers one host, up to 32 slots. I don't have a license file, though I'd consider purchasing (or donating?) something to make this problem go away. Why would the Teamspeak server need to contact the license servers if I don't have a license?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by PotaBlava View Post
    First at all: TS3 server has to be connected to the internet to be working, it has to access to the license server.
    Oh really? He didn't mention anything about NPL.
    No license server has no reason to check it's license or am I wrong?

imho he is reporting problem with android app.
    combustible, could you tell us if in your next test:
    - connect from a computer to your server and phone
    it will work for both in beginning, but as you said after time android gets "dropped", but the pc client will still be connected and working(switching channel, sending channel messages) correct?

Hi Tomas,

This problem only occurs at connection time. Once connected, both Android and Windows versions work without problem until they are disconnected normally. The problem is that Android clients with no internet connection available often fail to connect (worked around temporarily by the steps I described above). Windows client works every time, internet connection or not. Therefore I believe there is a bug in the Android application that most users would not normally encounter.

Thanks.

Thread Information