Forum

Running Teamspeak server brings my whole network to it's knees!

This is so frustrating. I've forwarded the proper ports in my Windows Firewall, and router (Netgear EA6500). I even changed routers and have the same issue: My internet latency and speed works great until I start the TS server and especially start talking. When I'm talking the internet speed plummets from 35Mbps to just 2 or so Mbps, terrible high ping, tons of lost packets and basically the internet stops working. Not just for me but for all devices connnected to the same network.

Like I said I replaced the router with a much more expensive one and it still does the same thing! Could it be the cable modem perhaps? It is just an Arris modem with just one ethernet port in back. Could it be the ISP? So frustrating.

If I connect to any of the free public TS servers out there, there's no problem. Anyone else had this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockworthy View Post
    This is so frustrating. I've forwarded the proper ports in my Windows Firewall, and router (Netgear EA6500). I even changed routers and have the same issue: My internet latency and speed works great until I start the TS server and especially start talking. When I'm talking the internet speed plummets from 35Mbps to just 2 or so Mbps, terrible high ping, tons of lost packets and basically the internet stops working. Not just for me but for all devices connnected to the same network.

Like I said I replaced the router with a much more expensive one and it still does the same thing! Could it be the cable modem perhaps? It is just an Arris modem with just one ethernet port in back. Could it be the ISP? So frustrating.

If I connect to any of the free public TS servers out there, there's no problem. Anyone else had this issue?
    Until you furnish us with some proper details we'll only be guessing......

Modem IP,router IP and pc IP for starters.
    OS,mic/headset used,server on same pc?

Quote Originally Posted by sTimulated View Post
    Until you furnish us with some proper details we'll only be guessing......

Modem IP,router IP and pc IP for starters.
    OS,mic/headset used,server on same pc?
    I was just hoping someone else out there had the same problem, and if so what they did to correct it. I don't see why I need to put my IP addresses out there on the internet on a publicly searchable forum, just to see if someone can think why using Teamspeak would be bringing my whole network down.

To answer your question yes, the TS server is on my same computer. However if I put the server on another computer on the network, the same thing happens. The internet turns into a slow, packet-dropping mess for every other computer or device on the network. It's as if the router or my ISP is categorizing the TS traffic as malicious behavior and tries to filter it out.

I was just hoping someone else out there had the same problem, and if so what they did to correct it. I don't see why I need to put my IP addresses out there on the internet on a publicly searchable forum, just to see if someone can think why using Teamspeak would be bringing my whole network down.

To answer your question yes, the TS server is on my same computer. However if I put the server on another computer on the network, the same thing happens. The internet turns into a slow, packet-dropping mess for every other computer or device on the network. It's as if the router or my ISP is categorizing the TS traffic as malicious behavior and tries to filter it out.
    If someone had the same problem you would have found it by a search,you did search didn't you.
    Try just plugging into the modem and see if problem still occurs.

those 3 IP's are almost the same for everyone who has modem/router/pc configuration.
    being cautious is one thing,denying information to those trying to help you is another.

Hi Rockworthy

This sounds a bit like you are having trouble whit your router settings UPnP or your QoS Settings i had something similar happen whit a computer on my network the modem like to give a computer the Highest prioritizes network/internet bandwidth and made all other computer like dial up speeds i changed the priority to Normal on the App port/s in the QoS settings and now when it running it dose not lag the network down you can all so go the other way if an app is lagging if need be but there is a limit that your modem and Routers can go the more you add the slower it goes

Hope this help you out

Thread Information