Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

[WIN 8.1 / 10] Unable to open links with chrome

The title is self explanatory, whenever someone sends me a link in teamspeak 3(under windows 8 x64) when I click it doesn't open any browser I don't know if this problem has been dealt with but anyways just reporting.

Bug still exists. I didn't have this bug under Windows 8 x64 Release Preview but now with Windows 8 x64 Final Release I can't open any links anymore.

Yep, this really needs to be fixed! I was having problems too! Windows 8 is coming out and this would suck if it didn't get fixed.

Url's open fine here on my virtual machine.
    What browser do you both use?
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    Url's open fine here on my virtual machine.
    What browser do you both use?
    It has to do with the Metro versions of Chrome or IE (which is what I assume you're using if it's not working). Not sure how to make it use the desktop version.

Quote Originally Posted by ravendizzle View Post
    It has to do with the Metro versions of Chrome or IE (which is what I assume you're using if it's not working). Not sure how to make it use the desktop version.
    Yep, I can confirm this. Also, last time I used Windows 8, the TeamSpeak interface was really ugly, it looked like Windows Classic as opposed to Windows 8's Metro or Windows Vista/7. I don't know if this is fixed yet, I have Windows 7 installed right now, although I am planning on upgrading very soon to Windows 8.

Links have been broken in Windows 8 since the Consumer Preview for me. Then, the last Teamspeak update (prior to current) fixed it for a few days, and it was great to be able to click on links. Today's update to Teamspeak broke them again. It was nice while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Killarny View Post
    Links have been broken in Windows 8 since the Consumer Preview for me. Then, the last Teamspeak update (prior to current) fixed it for a few days, and it was great to be able to click on links. Today's update to Teamspeak broke them again. It was nice while it lasted.
    Like I said, it's an issue with Windows 8 and the METRO VERSIONS of the browsers you can get, which as far as I am aware, are only IE and Chrome.

It's not just happening with Teamspeak, it's happening with all external links from other apps.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-desktop-apps/

Check this out.

There was also a registry hack that worked (what I used to fix it). Think I can find it? LOL

I'll post again if I find it.

It has nothing to do with Teamspeak.

step 1 "UnMetro Chrome"

go here > http://laymain.com/files/UnMetroGoogleChrome.reg
    copy&paste to a txt file
    rename to .reg
    launch and apply

step 2 (Optional) "Disable UAC"

regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
    Key: EnableLUA
    Value data: 0

Reboot
    Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberrage View Post
    step 1 "UnMetro Chrome"

copy&paste to a txt file
    rename to .reg
    launch and apply

regedit

Reboot
    Enjoy!
    Thanks, worked.

Quote Originally Posted by ravendizzle View Post
    Like I said, it's an issue with Windows 8 and the METRO VERSIONS of the browsers you can get, which as far as I am aware, are only IE and Chrome.

It's not just happening with Teamspeak, it's happening with all external links from other apps.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-desktop-apps/

Check this out.

There was also a registry hack that worked (what I used to fix it). Think I can find it? LOL

I'll post again if I find it.

It has nothing to do with Teamspeak.
    This isn't the case for me, as it's only links in Teamspeak 3 that doesn't work. Links in every other third party application works fully and opens in my default web browser (Chrome, on the desktop).

Applications I've tried where links open as expected in my default browser includes:
    SMITE
    League of Legends
    Steam
    Origin
    as well as a bunch of other applications, from extremely old and out-of-date ones to the latest ones available.

So to further clarify: It's only in Teamspeak 3 that opening links doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberrage View Post
    step 1 "UnMetro Chrome"

copy&paste to a txt file
    rename to .reg
    launch and apply

regedit

Reboot
    Enjoy!
    Didn't fix it for me. Links in Teamspeak 3 still doesn't work. Google Chrome and Teamspeak 3 x64 up-to-date.

I reiterate what I said. It's not Teamspeak at fault. Not when I got it to work fine.

I've done further testing and it seems to be related to how links are parsed, or something, in Teamspeak. The problem resides with how the HTTP protocol is used, but it's only a problem limited to Chrome and Teamspeak 3 it seems.

Setting Firefox as the default handler for the HTTP and HTTPS protocol makes all links in all applications (including TS) successfully open in Firefox as you would expect. However setting the default handler to Chrome instead means that all links in all applications except for Teamspeak successfully opens in Chrome. In fact, nothing at all happens when clicking links in TS. Why this is, I have no idea.

If I'd make an educated guess I would assume that it might have something to do with however links are sanitized in Teamspeak before the protocol is actually called in the OS environment. It is, as I've previously said, not a widespread issue, but limited to Teamspeak only.

TeamSpeak doesn't do anything special to links, display and sanitizing is being done by Qt, which also handles clicking on links in chat and other locations.
    Curious though that it should work with firefox, but not chrome... could be that the operating system is being told to open the link and either fails to start chrome correctly (for whatever reason), or chrome fails to read the link (for whatever reason).

I am running Windows 8 Pro and I'm having this issue as well. Skype can open links and other programs too in desktop chrome but teamspeak can't open in either desktop or metro version. I've tried changing default programs, using the registry editor solution and nothing have worked.

Thread Information