Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Its possible to point from a domain to 2 tsdns servers?

Im using the tsdns protocol, but I use the ns srv to point the tsdns.
    Can i use it to point 2 , to get redundancy?

Yes.

The SRV record must point to an A record. (no redundancy)
    An A record can point to many IPs. (simple dns round robin redundancy).

So create let you SRV point to "some.host.domain", then create two or mor A records for "some" in domain "host.domain".

Done.

The better way of course would be to use multiple SRV records, but I'm not quite sure the ts3 clients uses that feature correctly, I think it just uses allways the the first SRV record.

and how will handle the ts3 client the dual A record?
    It till try to use just 1 ip?

Quote Originally Posted by HellMind View Post
    Im using the tsdns protocol
    Why?
    DNS already offer all the capabilities of TSDNS without a hassle of running additional services.

, but I use the ns srv to point the tsdns.
    Can i use it to point 2 , to get redundancy?
    1. You already have redundancy in the form of 2 or more DNS server serving your master zone, plus millions of intermediate DNS servers around the world maintaining a cache of it. You just can't get MORE reliable than that.
    2. TS3 client doesn't support any form of "redundancy". It will fail if first request fail.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    Why?…
    DNS already offer all the capabilities of TSDNS without a hassle of running additional services.
    DNS sucks, if i want to move a ts i must wait for the refresh, clients usually got shitty dns clients with too many refresh time.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    1. You already have redundancy in the form of 2 or more DNS server serving your master zone, plus millions of intermediate DNS servers around the world maintaining a cache of it. You just can't get MORE reliable than that.
    2. TS3 client doesn't support any form of "redundancy". It will fail if first request fail.
    If i want to change the port, then all the dns should refresh that change, that take hours!

Having my own tsdns server I do it instantly, the problem is if my tsdns fail im dead.
    Maybe there is a way to use tsdns first, and in case of failure use the dns records

Quote Originally Posted by HellMind View Post
    DNS sucks, if i want to move a ts i must wait for the refresh, clients usually got shitty dns clients with too many refresh time.
    Well that depends on your authoritative record setting. You can always set a low ttl for any record, so changing shouldn't take hours. Set your ttl to 30 and any record stays valid only for half a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post
    Well that depends on your authoritative record setting. You can always set a low ttl for any record, so changing shouldn't take hours. Set your ttl to 30 and any record stays valid only for half a minute.
    i had the ttl lower as 5 minutes, and some dns servers that the client were using didnt update after 2 days.

Maybe they are caching that record for more time, can the do that?
    like force ttl, overwrite it, or something to save bandwidth and process?

Question that I can answer,
    #1 - DNS TTL, yes you can set a default, aka 5m, 30m, 1h, what ever. The other servers that cache your record most of the time will use your default, but some will not and will over ride yours, this will cause updates to take longer. You can not force an update to caches that you do not control.

#3 - TSDNS does not work like DNS, other then it gets a domain and gives a IP:Port. This might seems like DNS, but it is far from it. DNS does a lot, lot, lot more. In the base concept, sure, but that could be said about a lot of things and would not be give full credit to the protocols.

#3 - SRV records, this is going to be long
    -- Server SRV records, this will point the client to your server with a DNS SRV record. You may only have one SRV record per record. aka you can not have 2 SRV records for the same server using the same domain name. Teamspeak will pull the first record and ignore the 2nd. I have done a lot of testing with this.
    -- TSNDS SRV records, this works just like the server SRV record. So it fails as well.
    -- Setting 2+ A records per SRV record will do what you want, be then you have to have a TSDNS or TS3 Server running on both IPs else your clients will have connection issues now and then. This might not be bad if you are using TSDNS and one fails, but for a TS3 server it is a total fail.

I am working on a full rewrite of the TSDNS code and away to have a backup server running to keep down times under 5 minutes. When I get it ready for public use, I will make a post. If you want to help contact me.

title of thread is
    Its possible to point from a domain to 2 tsdns servers?

answer to that only is:
    teamspeak3 already resolves 2 locations where it tries to resolve your TSDNS.
    For study, try to connect to one server in your newly started client, and open Client log
    Read documentation that is part of server.

downside of tsdns is that it might not always work for everyone, depending on their network/ISP.

Thread Information