Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

SRV Record Question

I'm trying to migrate my web server, without disturbing TeamSpeak. I was looking into SRV records, but I have one question. Does it support multiple virtual servers? I have one running on the default port and another running on 9990. I have not made it live yet, but here is my SRV record settings:

Code:
    Service      Domain      Priority  Weight  Port   Target
    _ts3._tcp    domain.com  5         0       9987   ts.domain.com
    _ts3._tcp    domain.com  5         0       9990   ts.domain.com
    _tsdns._tcp  domain.com  5         0       41144  ts.domain.com
    Will this work? Or will it break?

SRV records are for a FIXED port which has priority over any port entered by the user. Another reason why this will never work is that TS uses UDP. If you want to use ports and don't have your TS running on your A record's target, you have to use TSDNS.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    SRV records are for a FIXED port which has priority over any port entered by the user.
    I guess that's why searching "wildcard port srv record" is a dry river of search results.

Another reason why this will never work is that TS uses UDP.
    I set it up just as it was said on the TeamSpeak FAQ, except there's a second _ts3.

If you want to use ports and don't have your TS running on your A record's target, you have to use TSDNS.
    How would I go about "remapping" domain.com to ts.domain.com using TSDNS?

Quote Originally Posted by twprogrammers View Post
    I set it up just as it was said on the TeamSpeak FAQ, except there's a second _ts3.
    Nope.

How would I go about "remapping" domain.com to ts.domain.com using TSDNS?
    RTFM.

You might have a misunderstanding about what the SRV records do.

Let's look at this:

• you own a domain called example.org
    • your Teamspeak server runs on a machine with the hostname ts.example.org
    • ts.example.org is an A record in the DNS pointing to the IP address of your machine. You need this A record, because in a SRV record an A record must be referenced and not a plain IP address.
    • you have two virtual TS servers running on that machine, one on port 9987 and one on 9990

Now you want to define a hostname your users enter into their Teamspeak client to connect either to the server on port 9987 or to the server on port 9990. So let's give the two servers their names:

• server on port 9987 should be reached by entering ts1.example.org into the Teamspeak client
    • server on port 9990 should be reached by entering ts2.example.org into the Teamspeak client

So you define 2 SRV records for this:

Code:
    Service      Domain          Priority  Weight  Port   Target
    _ts3._udp    ts1.example.org. 5         1       9987   ts.example.org.
    _ts3._udp    ts2.example.org. 5         1       9990   ts.example.org.
    That's it. Your two servers can now be reached via ts1.example.org and ts2.example.org. You don't need to enter the port number into the TS client, because this information is pulled from the SRV record.

You cannot "ping" ts1.example.org or ts2.example.org, because there is no A or CNAME record behind it (and don't do this) - if you want to ping the machine, ping ts.example.org.

In contrast to your quote, it's _udp. The voice protocol is _udp. And mind the dots after the names. They tell the DNS it is fully qualified name, no relative name where the domain is added.

And you don't need any TSDNS entry, or reference to TSDNS, or a TSDNS server at all. Forget about TSDNS. It's not a viable solution to server naming.

My bad, I misread the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpi View Post
    Code:
    Service      Domain          Priority  Weight  Port   Target
    _ts3._udp    ts1.example.org. 5         1       9987   ts.example.org.
    _ts3._udp    ts2.example.org. 5         1       9990   ts.example.org.
    That's it. Your two servers can now be reached via ts1.example.org and ts2.example.org. You don't need to enter the port number into the TS client, because this information is pulled from the SRV record.
    You misunderstand me. I want to not change bookmarks, which are currently set to domain.com and domain.com:9990. That's why I wanted to know if multiple SRV records could be made.

In this case, you can make an SRV record for your default server domain.com. But for domain.com:9990, only an A record (or CNAME) will work.

But in fact, this is a rare case where the tsdns server could in fact provide name resolution, because it is able to give different IP addresses to a name than DNS. Revisiting the tsdns readme, I think you made almost everything correct and only made the error to enter _tcp for the _ts3 voice ports. It must be _udp as numma_cway pointed out. The tsdns entry seems to be valid, but of course you must run a tsdns server with its own config (you didn't post) on the machine ts.domain.com.
    Last edited by Schlumpi; June 30th, 2015 at 11:00 PM.

You must also delete all TS3 SRV entries if you want to use TSDNS SRV. Read FAQ and use YaTQA's DNS simulator for more details.

Thread Information