Forum

Massive Packet Loss on a newly Installed server (20-40%) (Debian)

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I would like to say that I have seen a few threads similar to this out there, but those mostly are concerned about a small percentage of packet loss 1-2% .... (eyeroll) I would love to get just that small of a margin.

Since I am new to TS3 Server hosting, I would like to get some advice on how to torubleshoot it.
    What could be the possible causes to such high packet loss?

Heres some basic info:
    The server is being put on an OVH VPS. (Ive seen some people already complain about them not being the best, but still no1 has reported such high packet loss - not form what ive seen so far)
    The workload is.... 1 user (me) I have connected from 2 different networks so far and I have asked a friend to connect as well and the results are the same for both of us.
    The VM has 4 vCores and 4GB Ram with a Debian 7 64bit OS.
    No other servers have been installed on the machine.
    OVH are advertising a 100 Mbps bandwidth which should be more than sufficient.

I have looked through the logs, but there has not been anything but the initial setup stuff.
    I have also looked at ifconfig where I have seen the packets being dropped on RX (Receive).
    I do not have anything setup in iptables either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    There shouldnt be such a massive packet loss percentage even for a slightly bad Data Center. They would be out of business if it was the case. So I am first looking at what I could have done wrong before I knock on their doors.

Please let me know if you need more data regarding this issue.

I've had a bad experience with running TS on OVH VPS. I'm currently dumping them for DigitalOcean. I've experienced high packet loss, high latency spikes and disconnects.

Will update how it goes with DigitalOcean once TS support updates my NPL license to the new IP address (hopefully today.)

It would be helpful to know if there are VPS providers that are more reliable.

I wonder now, should I knock on OVH doors and complain about the poor quality of service?

Issue vanishes

Heres an update:
    --------
    Today i tried to see how the server is running since I left it on and seems that it is not dropping any packets anymore. Most dropped I had seen for the hour I left my user connected to it was 0.5% for a couple a seconds.

Is this a known issue for OVH network?
    Has anyone had experience with this and does the packet loss resurfaces on regular basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Atspulgs View Post
    It would be helpful to know if there are VPS providers that are more reliable.

I wonder now, should I knock on OVH doors and complain about the poor quality of service?
    When I complained to them, they pretty much told me that if I want reliability that I should pay for their premium cloud VPS's starting at $15/month.

So far our new DigitalOcean VPS seems to be going well at $5/month. A latency spike here and there but overall going well.

Thread Information