Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

New to this, how to assign channel groups to specific channels?

Okay maybe I'm missing the obvious but so far my searches bring up results that, to me, seem to assume the reader knows how to do one or more steps not mentioned or explained.

What I'm wanting to know is this.. Let's say I make a channel named "Goober" and I want to make a channel group that only applies to that channel. I know how to make a new channel group, but how do I get it to be associated with/attached to the channel?

So far, it feels as though channel groups are global and I don't want someone with permissions in a group meant for one channel to be able to use those permissions elsewhere.

So a simple step by step guide or video, with it being explained what is happening as it happens (and without a two hour intro of what the video is about) would be great. At this point, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the entire thing and it seems to be eluding me.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie713 View Post
    What I'm wanting to know is this.. Let's say I make a channel named "Goober" and I want to make a channel group that only applies to that channel.
    You entirely missed the purpose of channel groups I think..

Any channel group is available to every channel, in that every channel group can be given to people in any channel. There is no point in limiting a group to only be available in a specific channel, and no situation ever calls for that.
    However any client only has this group in those specific channels in which it was given to the client. Every client could have a different channel group in every channel if one wanted to. Channel groups only apply their permissions in those channels and to those clients where the client has the specific channel group.

So you just create a channel group that gives the permissions you want it to, and then simply only assign it to those clients that should have them, only in whatever channel you think they should have the permissions. By default new groups can only be assigned by people of whatever rank the creator of the group in question is (and people of higher ranks obviously). If you want to limit it to admin only simply edit the channel group and set its i_group_needed_member_add_power to 75 and only admins will be able to assign it to clients.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Thread Information