Forum

Multiple SRV Records for Redundancy

Hey all, I'm new to the forums, though I have been running a teamspeak server since TS2.

I was looking through the forums earlier and it looked like the TeamSpeak 3 client doesn't support SRV records properly. If there are multiple SRV records, with different priorities, and it can't connect to the first one, the client should then try to connect to the next SRV record.

I would really LOVE to have this feature, since if one server goes down for whatever reason, clients will automatically be reconnected to a backup redundant server. This would go a long way to ensuring much higher uptime, since a server may be down for any number of reasons.

Can someone let me know if this is in fact how the client works? Or, any suggestions on how I could go about achieving this kind of automatic redundancy for better uptime? If a dev reads this, could you let me know if adding this functionality is planned? It seems like a relatively easy feature to add, so if it isn't on the backlog, I would really recommend it.

Write your own TSDNS server.

I think this is not about the tsdns server, but the client. The feature was requested long time ago, but was not implemented. By the way, RFC 2782 seems to want the client to ask for multiple server records.

Yeah, I don't want to use TSDNS. It's a solution to an already solved problem, and I'd rather use regular DNS which is already redundant for me and will always be up. Having multiple records SRV records is half of the point of SRV records, which is why the priority and weight fields even exist.

I don't know if the TS Devs read these forums, but I'd love to know if this is planned. If it is not planned, then I'm going to write my own monitoring programs to health check my servers and automatically change the SRV record in DNS to point to the other service. This isn't ideal though, since I still have to deal with DNS caching issues. If I could just have multiple SRV records used and have the client look at more than the first one, this would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Elradon View Post
    I think this is not about the tsdns server, but the client. The feature was requested long time ago, but was not implemented. By the way, RFC 2782 seems to want the client to ask for multiple server records.
    I agree, this feature should be a requirement --- not an option. This would provide enhanced security (safety) for communities and in addition to this TeamSpeak 3 should handle UDP floods appropriately. It is way too easy to fall victim to a UDP attack.

Thread Information