Forum

Microphone Goes Fuzzy, Distorted and Makes a Static Noise When Shouting/RaisingVoice.

Hello all, I've been having a problem with my microphone on teamspeak ever since I installed windows 10. I figured it was a driver compatibility issue so until now I've just not bothered with it, however at this point it's becoming unbearable for me and my TS buddies.

On windows 7, my microphone (Audio Technica AT2035) sounded perfectly fine, using the voice activation features provided by Teamspeak. However ever since updating to windows 10 and installing my audio interface drivers (asio4all USB drivers), if I am to shout/raise my voice even slightly it makes a horrible static/fuzzy noise and you cant hear a thing i'm saying; If I talk quietly it's perfectly fine, the problem only occurs when i raise my voice or I have the microphone ''too close to my face''.

I have tried push to talk and it offers no solution, furthermore, I have tried my old headset (Logitech G930's) and TS works perfectly fine. My Audio interface is the Behringer Q502USB.

I'm unsure whether my mic is faulty, whether my interface is just bad and thus is causing the problem, or whether there's a setting I'm not using that was previously enabled.

Please Help
    Thanks In Advance
    Infamoose

Hi Infamoose,
    "Sounds" to me like you're clipping, either analogue or digital.

Remark: The ASIO driver should be irrelevant, so I'm assuming the device is USB Audio class compliant and the Microsoft HD Audio drivers are in use.

You can have this visualized before the signal reaches teamspeak in the windows sound capture settings and inside teamspeak.

Analogue side there's the mic's padding switch, which could coincidentally have changed, the mixer's preamp and the mixer gain.
    I dunno at which position of the signal flow the Behringer's clip LED is set, but the first two should be caught by it, pre-"Fader" so to speak.

Check what's the level on TeamSpeak's local test with normal speech, and when you get louder.
    You shouldn't exceed 0dB, the mark in the middle.
    If you do, lower the gain in the mixer until you accomplish that.

You could also check if for some bizarre reason Windows thinks it's input is a directly connected microphone (in practive entirely impossible via USB..), in windows capture device settings. There shouldn't be a mic boost button. As your mic is preamplified, we're having a common line signal like with a cd player and such.

At last, once you made sure your signal isn't incoming too hot, you can try out the "Automatic Voice Gain Control" setting in TeamSpeak's capture settings. Note that it does take a min or so of speaking for it to get adjusted and it won't be able to remove already existing clipping ofc.

Thread Information