Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Domain forwarding, privilege keys/and connection issues

Hi All

I've been reading this forum for about a week now trying to properly set up SRV records for our teamspeak server rented from teamspeak.net (with 123-reg.co.uk, and it was a massive pain but we got there - if anyone is with 123-reg having problems I can help you lol)

Anyway, i've managed to get that working, but we are having a bit of a weird issue that I cannot find anything about in another post!

So ts3.zxgaming.co.uk:34165 connects fine into our channel/teamspeak
    but ts3.zxgaming.co.uk seems to connect to the main teamspeak server/doesnt find our channel (its not putting the port on the end possibly? i'm not sure)

So I think it's something to do with a privilege key, now as i have users connected to my server I dont know if thats going to cause the problem with me pairing it. But i cleared the privilege key, made a new one in the backend of the teamspeak.net website and tried to pair it on ts3.zxgaming.co.uk but it doesn't work

Someone a little more technical - if you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, many thanks
    zXGaming Admin

I don't think you have understood anything of what you are writing about.
    Quote Originally Posted by zXGaming View Post
    Hi All

I've been reading this forum for about a week now trying to properly set up SRV records for our teamspeak server rented from teamspeak.net (with 123-reg.co.uk, and it was a massive pain but we got there - if anyone is with 123-reg having problems I can help you lol)

Anyway, i've managed to get that working, but we are having a bit of a weird issue that I cannot find anything about in another post!

So ts3.zxgaming.co.uk:34165 connects fine into our channel/teamspeak
    but ts3.zxgaming.co.uk seems to connect to the main teamspeak server/doesnt find our channel (its not putting the port on the end possibly? i'm not sure)
    You claim to have got SRV to work, but the sole use of SRV, pointing to servers on non-default ports, does not work, because _ts3._udp.ts3.zxgaming.co.uk does not exist. That doesn't make any sense at all.

So I think it's something to do with a privilege key, now as i have users connected to my server I dont know if thats going to cause the problem with me pairing it. But i cleared the privilege key, made a new one in the backend of the teamspeak.net website and tried to pair it on ts3.zxgaming.co.uk but it doesn't work

Someone a little more technical - if you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, many thanks
    zXGaming Admin
    Privelege keys have nothing to do with neither servers nor default channels. I also don't have any idea what "pairing" means, that is not an official term used with TeamSpeak.

Hi,

I do understand

123-reg does not support '.name' at the end of the SRV record, so I had to set mine as either:

_ts3._udp.

or

_ts3._udp.sub

so I set it to the 2nd one, .sub is for a subdomain,

_ts3._udp.ts3.zxgaming.co.uk - not accepted by 123-reg
    _ts3._udp.ts3 - not accepted by 123-reg
    _ts3._udp.ts3. - not accepted by 123-reg

Why is it that it now works/now the .sub has been added, but only with a port number at the end?

ts3.zxgaming.co.uk:34165 works and loads into our channels..
    ts3.zxgaming.co.uk WAS working - it connected to a default 'My TeamSpeak Server' with no channels/no permissions. But is now not working atall..
    <13:26:16> Trying to connect to server on ts3.zxgaming.co.uk
    <13:26:22> Failed to connect to server

screenshots

Hi,

Its now working again: ts3.zxgaming.co.uk but the problem persists,

I've attached some screenshots which may help you understand the problem;

without the port

without the port - entering the privilege key

with the port
    Last edited by zXGaming; October 15th, 2015 at 08:32 PM.

According to your screenshot, your SRV record works if you connect with your TS3 client to sub.zxgaming.co.uk.

If you replace "sub" with "ts3" in your SRV record administration, you can connect using ts3.zxgaming.co.uk.

This is not related to TS at all. Ask your registrar.

There are not working SRV records for your FQDN.

Code:
    # dig SRV _ts3._udp.ts3.zxgaming.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-RedHat-9.9.4-18.el7_1.5 <<>> SRV _ts3._udp.ts3.zxgaming.co.uk
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 8831
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;_ts3._udp.ts3.zxgaming.co.uk.  IN      SRV

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    zxgaming.co.uk.         223     IN      SOA     ns.123-reg.co.uk. hostmaster.zxgaming.co.uk. 2015091302 14400 0 604800 14400

;; Query time: 1 msec
    Code:
    ]# dig SRV _ts3._udp.zxgaming.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-RedHat-9.9.4-18.el7_1.5 <<>> SRV _ts3._udp.zxgaming.co.uk
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 56609
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;_ts3._udp.zxgaming.co.uk.      IN      SRV

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    zxgaming.co.uk.         300     IN      SOA     ns.123-reg.co.uk. hostmaster.zxgaming.co.uk. 2015091302 14400 0 604800 14400

;; Query time: 43 msec
    The only thing working ist the A record... that also explains why you can connect with adding the port; because this is the old connect via adress and port schema.

Also to debug such problems I highly recommend not the name the A record and the SRV record alike.

Better use: A record server.zxgaming.co.uk and then SRV record: ts.zxgaming.co.uk pointing to A record of "server" with correct port, weight and priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpi View Post
    According to your screenshot, your SRV record works if you connect with your TS3 client to sub.zxgaming.co.uk.

If you replace "sub" with "ts3" in your SRV record administration, you can connect using ts3.zxgaming.co.uk.
    ts3 is not supported by my registrar. apparently, but I think you are right as sub.zxgaming.co.uk connected straight in!

Therefor I shall change it to 'ts' without the 3 because it doesn't like ts3

Thanks

oddly enough what you do seem to have is an A record formatted like an SRV one:
    Code:
    dig _ts3._udp.ts3.zxgaming.co.uk

;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 35229
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;_ts3._udp.ts3.zxgaming.co.uk.  IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    _ts3._udp.ts3.zxgaming.co.uk. 3600 IN   A       46.32.240.37
    What you need is like numma said change sub with ts3 in the SRV record or use sub.zxgaming.co.uk which will work right now.

Code:
    dig SRV _ts3._udp.sub.zxgaming.co.uk

;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 36674
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;_ts3._udp.sub.zxgaming.co.uk.  IN      SRV

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    _ts3._udp.sub.zxgaming.co.uk. 3600 IN   SRV     1 5 34165 ts3.zxgaming.co.uk.

ts3 is not supported by my registrar. apparently, but I think you are right as sub.zxgaming.co.uk connected straight in!

Therefor I shall change it to 'ts' without the 3 because it doesn't like ts3

Thanks
    The reason the interface won't allow 'ts3' is probably because it thinks 'ts3' already exists, which it does as an A record. That shouldn't really prevent it from also existing as an SRV record but they probably found it easier to simply disallow anything you've already created before and not bother with checking the type as well.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

thanks

Many thanks for your help guys!

Thread Information