Forum

Selectable default chat channel

Hello community,

I had this little issue with team speak where the server chat is always the default chat box. Is there a way to enable the channel chat box to always be the default? If not could this be added in a update?

Thanks

There is currently no way to set another chat as your default (without using a plugin).
    We had such topic with our devs already.

The results were:
    1. The server chat stays the default chat.
    2. The chat does switch to channel chat, when the users tried to send a message to server chat and failed.
    A dialog will ask the user for that action and then client activates the channel chat and trys to send the message again to the channel chat.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Sorry for the late response, thanks for the reply though.

We decided, to use the server chat by default and not optional per client.
    Because it shows most inforamtion about your connection or problems or how many offline messages you have on that server etc.

We understand, that most users use the channel chat only and/or are not able to send chat to the server at all.
    But it was rejected already to set the default chat as an option into the client. We think the informations mentioned above are to important if something does not work as expected.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    We decided, to use the server chat by default and not optional per client.
    Because it shows most inforamtion about your connection or problems or how many offline messages you have on that server etc.

We understand, that most users use the channel chat only and/or are not able to send chat to the server at all.
    But it was rejected already to set the default chat as an option into the client. We think the informations mentioned above are to important if something does not work as expected.
    What about don't show the input field if the user has no permission for writting in the chat?

I've always thought that the channel would make a much better target for the default chat. Clicking the channel tab is the first thing I do right after connecting to a server. 95% of the cases when someone sends a message to the server chat, it's by mistake...

So I've always suggested to just make the channel chat the active tab in the client after connecting to a server. The main reason not to do this because of the clients default notification settings. I've modified mine so everything related to my current channel is logged in the channel tab, etc. Here's an example screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-10 um 16.54.18.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	436.0 KB 
ID:	13376

But there are several things you simply cannot change... such as the server welcome message. If the dev team would change the chat tab behavior, no user would ever see the server welcome message (there's little chance they see it anyway when connecting to a larger server with lots of events).

In my opinion, the entire messaging and notifications UI part needs a big overhaul or maybe a rewrite at some point in the future. Everything else (even smaller changes like Apelli suggested) is just a waste of time.

*** EDIT ***
    Damn... that screenshot is huge.

I like the way they do it in Guild Wars 1. There is only one chat box and channels are highlighted by color (like in all MMOs). Chat channels can either be selected by using the mouse or you can use Shift+1, Shift+2... if the input box is empty to change the target to the corresponding number (1=Server, 2=Channel, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Apelli View Post
    Actually, maybe I a bit understand the developer team point on this one.
    "DO NOT TOUCH WHILE IT WORKS"
    No, that's not the point.
    It was decided to use the server chat. The channel chat could be used too and it would work.

I think more thought should be considered for this.

I think there needs to be something done about the issue of having to click 'ok' each time someone joins a server and wants to chat in their default channel. Maybe the default server chat is important for a few people who are interested in viewing who joined or left, but every time I ever join a channel, I simply want to type something in chat to communicate and I have to click the window to forward it to my channel chat.

Quote Originally Posted by TimJSwan View Post
    I think there needs to be something done about the issue of having to click 'ok' each time
    We did that already. You do not have to click Yes or No each time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	server chat do not show again.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	13429
    If you clicked the wrong button + "do not show again" , then you stil lcan fix this under "Settings -> Options -> Application -> Reset Confirmations"

Quote Originally Posted by Apelli View Post
    Heh, did not know there was such an auto-chatchannel-correct feature.

It is still sad that I am the only one not having access to this feature, since I'm a server admin, so TS does not offer me a server chat redirection service...
    The feature is based on permissions, or rather a lack thereof. If you don't have permissions to send to server chat, the popup will appear (once if you tick the do not show again).
    If you really, absolutely need it, you can thus create a new server group that has the send to server chat permission, then remove it from your server admin group. The new group is just in case you ever want to send something to server chat, you can quickly assign yourself the group, send the text to server chat and remove yourself from the group again once you don't want to send to server chat anymore.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Thread Information