Forum

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    But the clients checks for the whitelist. If the server binary does not connect to the whitelist server and cannot show an official licenses, no official clients will connect. You can always manipulate the client but rolling it out to all users is not feasable for most people.

If the client checks also for the list (and not only to the server) then its ok.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    @Barungar, numma_cway: Yes, whitelist sounds nice. But only if the ts-server can connect to the master server.
    If someone manipulates the server binary (guess there are already ones available), he could run the server as he likes.
    No, not the server binary. The whitelist feature should be client-sided. The server will only register with it's valid license at the whitelist server. If you can fake the license check, than the whole license would be useless. I think it is only thing to change server binaries so they don't check for a local license... but changing the server binary in a way that it can fool the license server in a license handshake check would be quite a feat.

The client will need to check everytime with the whitelist server whenever it connects to a server, and if this server isn't ok; there shall be no connect.

The risk in such a whitelist scenario is a failure of the whitelist server... in that case no teamspeak client world wide would connect to any teamspeak server.

The license server should send a random seed when you register your IP on startup, in addition to using TCP. Therefore, you cannot really steal anything.

The whitelist check should be optional on client side.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    The license server should send a random seed when you register your IP on startup, in addition to using TCP. Therefore, you cannot really steal anything.

The whitelist check should be optional on client side.
    No, thats the whole point. It shouldn't be optional, because just like now with the stupid notification, people will simply bypass it. So it should be compulsory. End of.

I said the the check should be optional, not the message.

I said the the check should be optional, not the message.
    Like I said, it shouldn't be optional. This makes it no different than this stupid notification. People will still be able to use the cracked servers just as they can now. Are you not understanding the whole reason the last few people have said something here? We aren't talking about a way to show they're cracked, we want a solution to tackle them and get rid of them....

Read my post again until you understand it. That involves understanding the post I was referring to.

Read my post again until you understand it. That involves understanding the post I was referring to.
    I've read it but the way you sound makes it seem like you missed the point

The point is, that everybody will miss some "little thing", because nobody will have the ability to keep 100% truth for himself.

But maybe you only have to look into some other ways of security.
    And keep in mind, there is no way to get rid of 100% abusive using of teamspeak. You only can improve software, to increase the amount of "energy", you have to spend to make the "abusive use" to keep working.

Lets think about SSL-Certificates, used within teamspeak.
    When issuing certificates to "legal" servers, which can be checked by the client, and also only issue "short-living" certificates, like done by lets encrypt, you increase the enery needed for abusive using, because the client has to be modified. But there is no single point of failure like when using a whitelist.
    Also you can keep some informations of the server within the certificate, to identify the server with the certificate. As an example, there could be the server-uid, the bounded ips, or something else, that helps identifing the server, and to keep other servers from using the same certificate.
    This can be done with minimal effort from Teamspeak Systems, automatically issuing the certificates from the accounting-system, and verifying within the clients against a certificate-authority, only in use for this usecase. This also makes it possible to rotate the ca within short time, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantoflarz View Post
    I've read it but the way you sound makes it seem like you missed the point
    No, you missed the point. I said:
    - Have servers register their IPs on a whitelist server on startup
    - Have clients ask the whitelist server if the IP is whitelisted before they connect
    - If the whitelist server can be contacted and does not know the IP, the client strictly can't connect
    There is nothing optional in it.

Master_D's idea is better though, because it needs no server that could be DDoSed.

Angry Good by TS3 hope you wake up some day.

As the title states our HUGE community can no longer function under the ts3 business model anymore. By this i mean $100 freaken dollars a year for the ability to have more then 32 people supported!! rubbish!! Not to mention the fact that ALL gaming communities survive on donations/out of pocket alone. But if we are to support more then 32 people we cant bring in money to keep our server running? WTF!. But that's not all folks in order to "qualify" pfft for a license we must have a domain and e mail but not a free e mail nooooo we have to pay for an e mail domain too???? again WTF!!

As it stands now for the last year we have been in a fight with ts3 to get them to wake up!! But we are met with their frankly nazi rules "papers please"!! and we are sick and tired of it period.... We love ts3 we really do but this is frankly BULLSH!T and we have had enough! so here is the math for us to maintain a ts3 server with 512 slots. Tell me if this is stupid we think it is so here goes.

domain=20$ per year
    website=$300 per year
    TS3 license= $100 per year
    ts3 server rental= $50 per month x12=$600 per year
    We are not allowed to take donations at a loss of in 2016 $3,200 (give or take and ALL money goes to our community and not in our pockets)

soooooo.....

$20+$300+$100+$600=$1020 dollars per year!! add the loss of money from donations total cost $1020+3,200=$4020!!!

OR------>Discord=FREE

Seems pretty cut and dry for us, TS3 is NOT good for communities and or the gamer. Why? As MILLIONS have already done, Move to Discord. Lets be honest here though TS3 is far better then discord. Discords UI is rubbish and sound quality is even worse,Frankly it looks like some one puked on the screen and called it a UI. I absolutely HATE that pile of trash. But that being said the rules for a license for ts3 is STUPID and down right foolish. With so many options out there that arnt taking a weed wacker to your wallet and frankly the down right disgusting business model currently in place is an insult and frankly short sighted. We are forced like tens of thousands of others have already to drop TS3 and never look back.

It's rather sad when the only way to make them listen is at some point they have to feel the burn money wise from the MASS migration of people that are sick of this crap and now have more valid options to drop all their TS3 servers and be free of the BULLSH!T. TS3 you had better start listening. I have been telling you this for over a year but it seems you are to thick to get it! Of the tens of thousands you once had using this program you are now one less and climbing. Our ts3 will shut down at the end of this month and we will move to discord simply put having a ts3 server has done nothing but cost us PILES of money and has almost ruined our community and we have been in decline. This is due in part to not being able to take donations to keep our servers running (game servers nothing to do with ts3). And the fact that most of the other communities have left this cluster fook for discord and have saved THOUSANDS of dollars!

WAKE UP TS3 we are leaving and so are thousands more.

Angry good job ts3 pfft

So i posted a thread the other day about why i/we my whole gaming community is sick of the license crap and the reasons we are moving to discord (shudders at the thought). but what choice do we have? pay thousands? and be flogged with restrictions that kill gaming communities? or just use a free discord and have as many people on it as i want. I can take donations to YOU KNOW TS3 pay for our GAME servers!!! Oh sure i can pay you people $100 a year and be beat over the head with your stupid rules(no thanks). or i can use a free option and never have to deal with being REQUIRED to own a domain,website,e mail domain just to get a license from ts3.

NOTE RATHER THEN USING MY LAST THREAD TO YOU KNOW LEARN SOMETHING GUESS WHAT THEY DELETED IT! The post offered some suggestions on how not to be stupid and out of touch with a voip market that has left them behind. And has drastically changed, No one i ever spoke to liked this junk license system ts3 has. We currently have 36 ts3 servers and we are shutting them ALL down cuz licensing is a joke and i would rather light myself on fire then go another year in this frankly toxic company dealing with rude and out right crippling license system that does nothing but cause us grief and money. I went on to talk about how we are moving to discord and why we are. You see it all started with when one of our servers crashed and we needed them to send us a new PAID license, We already paid $100 (what a joke) and can you guess what happened? after calling and e mailing for over 2 months no reply yup that right you read it right! Now for over a year our servers are crippled at 32 slots and a giant FU from ts3 to us never giving us what we paid for.

SO TS3 MODS you can be idiots and delete this again and thats fine it only proves what i say is true. The fact that you would silence me rather then work with me says it all right there does it not? You may be able to silence me here but the internet is a BIG place after all and you just give me more ammo when you delete my posts with no explanation no notice on why. Did i break some rule? WHO KNOWS RIGHT? no word from you guys after all just a big old knife to cut out my words. But never fear TS3 we have had a video series in production detailing all of what i described and why people should use discord. You can't silence me on you tube can you or redit? facebook or steam? didn't think so! and after all this one with a brain would say "maybe we should work with this guy" "considering he is a LARGE contributor to the ts3 community on a whole" "maybe this guy has some valid points about our restrictive and out of touch licensing" MAYBE just MAYBE this would have worked better for you.

Look at my history on this forum people i have helped 100's of people with problems related to ts3. And some of you may remember the time some guy botted thousands of ts3 servers with this? "This ts3 server is shutting down, and changing domains please join this domain" Remember that? server owners? Ya im the guy that went after that person and shut them down that very same day saving THOUSANDS of ts3 owners from having all they built up ruined YOUR WELCOME My point is as a person that has done a great deal for ts3 and ts3 server owners, I have been left with a bad taste in my mouth after getting screwed by greedy corporate types that dont care about you or anything. All it is from them is "FU GIVE ME MONEY"

As a precaution this time i have copy and pasted this very thread to MANY MANY forums and game communities world wide as i am in contact with MANY communities. I help alot of communities with the config for their ts3 servers for free as it is not an easy thing if you have no xp with ts3. I have donated 100's of hours to both this forum to help people and 100's more hours to communities out there that have a hard time with their config of ts3 (there is alot).

In closing TS3 devs/mods and corporate jerk wads ask yourself why im bitter and giving up on this program and the people that run your licensing after advocating in favor of your program for YEARS!! What has made me come a full 180 and hate your guts now? can you figure it out yet? probably not. You will never learn and you will never change and that will be your undoing. I have now switched from helping ts3 owners with their servers to making migrating to discord more smooth and helping them set up discord. Currently i have help 87 communities (thousands of people) with this as they are frustrated too. I only want what is best for the gaming communities as they/we are the life blood of the video game industry and the voip industry aswell. Discord gets it TS3 used to but now i feel dirty just talking to them.
    Last edited by dante696; May 15th, 2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: merged and duplicates deleted

I think that you have a serious problem, my man. If you want to talk about it, but have no one to talk to, I welcome you to message me.

You take this all too personal. I recommend you calm down and learn how business in general works. Business is about selling something and get money in return.

Companies offer something according to their terms. You compare offerings and terms and choose the best product you can afford in regard of money and terms. You pay what is negotiated and get what is owed according to the contract. If requirements or terms or the product itself changes, you will change or keep providers. Quietly. That's all.

You seem to have misinterpreted some terms in the first place and chose the wrong provider.

Badmouthing a provider due to inconvenient terms isn't businesslike.

Thread Information