Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Donaramu View Post
    So why can't it have a friendlist screen and other things added? Why not? I am not saying they will, but I hope they do. But why do you think they can't?
    Well, the current contact list is based on identities rather than myTeamSpeak accounts simply because myTeamSpeak did not exist back then.

The concept of having multiple identities aims towards keeping things separate and being able to use different identities in different places while myTeamSpeak aims towards having a single account and being able to identify individual users.

It could turn out to be a bit challenging to combine these two concepts as they are somewhat incompatible. How can we keep a global friends list on myTeamSpeak without sacrificing privacy?

They have to come up with a system that retains a certain level of privacy, e.g. by having the server handle the friend statuses of all connecting users in order to keep the myTeamSpeak ID away from clients since they are not supposed to know them unless someone is actually a friend. They would also have to make it so that friend requests actually have to be accepted so people can't stalk random people.

It takes a lot of effort to plan all these things and a decent amount of resources to provide the technical infrastructure with data security, scalability and reliability in mind.

TeamSpeak is not Google or Amazon. It's still a small company somewhere in the south of Germany. I think Discord has at least 40 employees and they also got big investors.

Quote Originally Posted by Donaramu View Post
    Yea, I know there are things right now that discord are doing better.There are also a lot of things teamspeak does better. IMO teamspeak is better as is. Just the fact that teamspeak isn't data mining me makes it better imo. Now I don't promote anything close to "hate speech", but the world is always changing. Saying "that's gay" could be viewed as hate speech one day, and I never have to worry about teamspeak shutting me down, such as discord has done. These are just basic things that makes teamspeak better. But it seems that you think teamspeak can't update any of the areas it's lacking in, to make them as good, or better than discord? I find this unlikely.

I was thinking about discord and their system. How everything is out there. I thought, what if teamspeak did something like that for ts5. Now you have the ts5 program you can use freely. Joining all the servers and whatnot. Still your server, your rules. But you can also log in. When you login, teamspeak connects your client to their database that stores all the stuff the server doesn't. Kind of like they seem to be doing with "myteamspeak"... My account has the jedi icon where ever I go, because I am logged in. So why can't it have a friendlist screen and other things added? Why not? I am not saying they will, but I hope they do. But why do you think they can't? It seems like you're a bit of a discord fanbot. Now I am not attacking you, but it does seem you like discord, and not teamspeak. And it seems like you think teamspeak is such, and there is no way they can add, or update stuff.

I believe they can. I hope they do. But only time will tell. The fact that there making any changes, lets us know, they're not giving up. So we will see.
    I just like handy stuff. And Discord is in nearly every aspect way more handy than TS3 was/is. We don't even have a proper ingame overlay for TeamSpeak. A software that is meant for gamers as main target group. At least not one that's 100% functional and not 3rd party. Discord just updated it overlay this week with a chat feature. So you can now chat in different discord channel while you are still ingame.

And no, I heavily doubt that TeamSpeak System GmbH will ever do something centralized like Discord does. They just don't have the men power for that. Discord has some more than 100 employees. TeamSpeak had like what? 5-10 developers and 20 Sales/Support ppl? (Cant find any
    good numbers). They even had trouble in the past to keep their accounting server up and running if they got DDOSed. So no, unless the changed their internal structures a lot now.

Discord is just more than TeamSpeak, and that's somewhat fine, because TeamSpeak always wanted to be a voice only platform (as mentioned here in the forum whenever I said something about the crappy 1998 chat design) but the mainstream wants somewhat more I guess. Today everybody wants to share a Meme or a Video or Stream or some files. In the past we used forums, but with services like discord you just need one platform.

And seriously, paying for an mobile App of something that is normally free is just BS in my opinion. One more reason I use Discord whenever I need to talk to some friends/ppl that I don't have on WhatsApp/Telegram while I'm traveling. I just open my Discord app on my phone and I can talk to them.

Agreed that I don't think it would be easy.I think they can do something. From my understanding, teamspeak makes bank. Or at least they use to. I am sure they can pull something out. And as for discords investors, you're talking about the people that invested so they could get our data? Yea, those people...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimos View Post
    I just like handy stuff. And Discord is in nearly every aspect way more handy than TS3 was/is. We don't even have a proper ingame overlay for TeamSpeak. A software that is meant for gamers as main target group. At least not one that's 100% functional and not 3rd party. Discord just updated it overlay this week with a chat feature. So you can now chat in different discord channel while you are still ingame.

And no, I heavily doubt that TeamSpeak System GmbH will ever do something centralized like Discord does. They just don't have the men power for that. Discord has some more than 100 employees. TeamSpeak had like what? 5-10 developers and 20 Sales/Support ppl? (Cant find any
    good numbers). They even had trouble in the past to keep their accounting server up and running if they got DDOSed. So no, unless the changed their internal structures a lot now.

Discord is just more than TeamSpeak, and that's somewhat fine, because TeamSpeak always wanted to be a voice only platform (as mentioned here in the forum whenever I said something about the crappy 1998 chat design) but the mainstream wants somewhat more I guess. Today everybody wants to share a Meme or a Video or Stream or some files. In the past we used forums, but with services like discord you just need one platform.

And seriously, paying for an mobile App of something that is normally free is just BS in my opinion. One more reason I use Discord whenever I need to talk to some friends/ppl that I don't have on WhatsApp/Telegram while I'm traveling. I just open my Discord app on my phone and I can talk to them.
    Discord, whatsapp, none of those are free. You're buying it. Just no cash leaving your hands. Users are the cows, data is their milk. Not free. You're selling yourself. And that's fine if the users are okay with that. I am not. Also discord text channels aren't anywhere close to being as good as forums. They're the shout boxes people use to have to their website. But yes, somethings are handy on discord. They're just not as great as discord lovers act. At least not imo. And while their servers are more stable, they're not nearly as stable as my teamspeak. For years our update has been 100%, other than when we restart it. Never any problems at all. Discord has gotten better, but not better. privacy( no one shutting us down if we say something the PC police over at discord dislike), more stable, and not data mining me. But yes. discord does have some handy things.

I agree with Donaramu on this one.

It's not even a matter of if they can or can't match Discord, it's actually more of a Must. I can't find any big info or features of TS5, I can only hope they have some big surprises for us, if they can't match or better discord in a majority of features it's not a bright future for Teamspeak. You can't say Teamspeak is just a small team when they've been #1 and around for a long time, hell even mentioned on South Park it's very well known, they really need to strive to become #1 again.

Our Community has always used Teamspeak since 2003, we enjoy what we can do with it and it's layout. If discord offered these features and a Teamspeak Themed layout, it would be very tempting to make the switch especially if Teamspeak's future isn't looking too bright. When I think about recruitment wise (which I've been doing for our community for 10 years now), I can't imagine how many great players we've missed out because we continue to use Teamspeak over Discord but hearing about TS5 we have had some hope and still do, and hopefully Teamspeak 5 will be big if not don't even do Q4 give it a Q1-Q2 2019 TS5 release we would rather wait then get presented with just a visually look on Teamspeak, it HAS to allow new people to simply connect to your Teamspeak like Discord has done, anything less and it's not a leap forward just a brisk walk to a jogger way ahead.

I second waiting for TS5 if it won't be ready/ much better. It's like when they let you beta test a game, but the game is very broken, and will be coming out in 1 or 2 months. Well they just lost tons of pre orders by pushing out crap.

Also, I agree that we have most likely lost some recruits by sticking with teamspeak. But as I am sure you've noticed as well, some like ts>dc. And some others, once you get them in teamspeak, don't care, and just love the community. Still, most of our leadership are older, and dislike how discord run. only 3 members have pushed the idea of discord, and I was one of them. Not because I wanted to go to discord, but because I wanted everyone to think about what is best for the community overall. But as is, I'd still pick teamspeak over discord..

i also clinge to ts, as i am used to it, and the client needs little memory and cpu, stuff just works...etc. i have tried a lot of other softwares, and keep maintaining my small ts community.

however, the devs of ts are very close minded. i like a conservative side, but for a long time it felt like they are very disconnected from the younger users, and how ts is used in most cases.

a good example were icons. until now the highly complicated (and i don't use the word complex, but complicated) rights management system for example does not allow a good management where people can select icons for themselves, and themselves only. you can either set a server group on anyone or not at all. everything in the rights management is linear. you cannot manage icon management of rooms that way either. instead you have a million other settings, that are usually always used in a pre-defined way.

still, one of the most used features across all ts servers i saw was using server groups for icons and individualization. and one thing i noticed quite clearly in discord was the abundance of emoji usage, writing sentences with abc-icons as likes, etc. people dig this. they dig it so much, that when i finally implemented a few free icons for my ts server back then, i immediately had to write a bot that cleaned up people abusing it.

what gets implemented? myTeamspeak. with badges for some people. now i get why stuff like this was not fixed.

then the db support. a sudden drop of mysql in favor of mariadb. understandable, yes, almost welcome, but very sudden to be honest. still however, no support for postgres. even tho the time postgres was something for the niche is certainly over, it clearly becomes somewhat of a standard by now.
    but the terrible table design with no primary keys for whatever reason, custom serialization formats etc. shows me this is anything a bit much.

there is no excuse to not have better db support, or at least outsource it with some custom api, if they dont want to maintain it.

the still missing unified installation link. each time ts updates, its yet again a manual download. no real help for server maintainers to keep stuff clean.
    and with that it is also not a real miracle, so often servers are out of date, and hacks are common. speaking of hacks, what a terrible logging facility.

so while i also successfully denied a lot of other requested stuffs in our gaming communities in the past, from roger wilco, ventrilo or mumble to even skype etc. and still a lot of people prefer ts over discord or the new steam group chat, with upcoming stuff like riot and the like for me it seems ts has to change its pace at least a bit.

but like everybody here, i let ts5 first speak for itself. but it was a good thread to bring on my own frustrations.
    sorry.. and not sorry. =)

Suggestions for competition

Hi,

maybe if you wan't to win with competition, omitting ts5, You can reduced licences

Regards

One of my biggest things about teamspeak that I like is that people talk to each other its a platform built for voice communication. I feel discord is more of a flashier IRC with voice channels. I will scroll in a 1000+ active online person community with not a single person in voice channels. Everyone is just typing in the channels.

I want to talk to people I don't want to sit there and type in a text channel. I really hope teamspeak 5 doesn't change to IRC style communication.

Quote Originally Posted by DigidyDOG View Post
    One of my biggest things about teamspeak that I like is that people talk to each other its a platform built for voice communication. I feel discord is more of a flashier IRC with voice channels. I will scroll in a 1000+ active online person community with not a single person in voice channels. Everyone is just typing in the channels.

I want to talk to people I don't want to sit there and type in a text channel. I really hope teamspeak 5 doesn't change to IRC style communication.
    teamspeak no teamtype ololololo

My biggest gripe with discord is the instability. There is no room in the developers minds for quality only pushing out broken features and making stupid decisions. Think of it as a product rushed out to market for the masses, low quality, owners hoping it will hold out enough until they can make enough money out of it. It certainly had potential.

I was one of their first testers back in June 2015 and had revisited it again in Oct when they were more complete. Like I said it had potential. But as I see today, it's gone to shit. The new Steam friend/voice/chat system seems to be guiding people away from discord who never new about common or classic voice solutions ex: Mumble, TS3. Non hardcore chat enthusiasts, game world illiterate, for lack of a better words people now find it easier using Steam. Along with Twitch implementing their voice system which has had people and new people to stay within the Twitch ecosystem. Then you have pro players who exclusively use Mumble. So in retrospect discord will soon hold a small portion of the voice chat market, but with their "business plan" who knows how long they can stay afloat.

None of my members asked to switch to discord we only have it as a backup, so I'm glad with the up and coming TS5.
    Last edited by Randinator; August 24th, 2018 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randinator View Post
    My biggest gripe with discord is the instability. There is no room in the developers minds for quality only pushing out broken features and making stupid decisions.
    Let's be fair: TeamSpeak has had it's share of mildly broken features and questionable decisions. But it's interesting to see people saying the same about Discord.

My biggest problem with a 100% cloud based software is that I can't work around cloud issues. When voice quality suddenly drops cause someone felt it's time for a large scale DDoS attack, I can't just switch to another server as it usually affects the entire network.

With TeamSpeak, I can just switch to a buddie's server which is hosted somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHost View Post
    Let's be fair: TeamSpeak has had it's share of mildly broken features and questionable decisions. But it's interesting to see people saying the same about Discord.

My biggest problem with a 100% cloud based software is that I can't work around cloud issues. When voice quality suddenly drops cause someone felt it's time for a large scale DDoS attack, I can't just switch to another server as it usually affects the entire network.

With TeamSpeak, I can just switch to a buddie's server which is hosted somewhere else.
    Right, every piece of software has it's flaws, but Discord still has many that have yet to be fixed. They seem to fix one issue only to cause another group of people another issue. I mean it's "free," don't expect great workmanship here is all I'm trying to convey.

That's another thing I forgot to mention about Discord, it centralized, a big no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Randinator View Post
    Right, every piece of software has it's flaws, but Discord still has many that have yet to be fixed. They seem to fix one issue only to cause another group of people another issue. I mean it's "free," don't expect great workmanship here is all I'm trying to convey.

That's another thing I forgot to mention about Discord, it centralized, a big no no.
    Could you list some of the rushes features and issues you mentioned? Just curious because I personally never encounter any big problems within Discord, but might be just lucky or something I didn't used so far inside the Discord app.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimos View Post
    Could you list some of the rushes features and issues you mentioned? Just curious because I personally never encounter any big problems within Discord, but might be just lucky or something I didn't used so far inside the Discord app.
    You're kidding, right? Why don't you use Google... Discord is modern software that's meant to be broken.

Also from reading your posts you seem very bias against TeamSpeak and have a tone of a Discord fan boy. It just seems funny the way you asked that question, because it's obvious you DID encounter occasional problems in Discord, but are not disclosing it.

Thread Information