Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Question Moving to new server (redirecting)

I currently have a server at example.com:7721. I need to move that to ts.example.net, where example.net is a completely new server. Is there a way to redirect (and possibly update bookmarks if I'm really lucky)? I can create a modal popup at connect for a couple weeks if necessary, but some method for a proper redirect would be phenomenal.

There's no way to redirect, if you didn't bothered to properly configure your system in the past.
    But you have a chance to fix this for your future migrations.
    Learn the power of DNS SRV records.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    There's no way to redirect, if you didn't bothered to properly configure your system in the past.
    But you have a chance to fix this for your future migrations.
    Learn the power of DNS SRV records.
    I'm not sure how to use that post for my specific question. I'm vaguely familiar with SRV records, but not enough to just throw them in my DNS and call it good. I don't need to move this server anytime soon, so I should be able to implement them. Can you clarify a little bit as to how that relates to my question? (I'm not saying it's irrelevant, I'm saying I don't understand.)

EDIT: I've read a little more and I think I understand the general concept of SRV records, but not how they relate to moving the server. Can you clarify this?

• Do I just point the SRV record to the new IP address/subdomain?
    • Does that old SRV record need to stay permanently?
    • Can the SRV record allow me to block connections from example.net and only allow them from ts.example.net?

You seems to got a little misconception here.
    SRV is not a blocking mechanics. SRV is a discovery meachanics.
    Its purpose is to let people discover services within domain knowing only domain name and service name.
    Taking TS3 as an example, the service name is ts3, the protocol is udp and you want to know, if a given domain example.net is configured to accept this service.
    You send a request "_ts3._udp.example.net SRV?" to your nearest DNS server and get a reply (assume the domain do indeed prepared to serve this kind of service) "_ts3._udp.example.net SRV prio weight port host". Do note that the answer is host:portm, not IP address:port. You have to make an additional request of "host A?" to discover the actual endpoint. And that host could be ANYTHING. I.e. a host of an ATHP provider where you rent your service. But clients will have your domain listed in their address books, and you will be able to later reconfigure the SRV record to point to any other server, if you do a migration within same domain.

Regarding cross-domain migration, there's no easy way to do it. For obvious reasons. (Both techical and security.)

And as a footnote, yes, SRV, to an extent, can be used to… no, not "block", but… let's say, discourage connections directly to a manually entered host:port (or IP:port).
    Enough to set up a server with non-standard voice port, and only provide its address through SRV record.
    Last edited by ANR Daemon; December 27th, 2015 at 03:29 AM.

Thread Information