Forum

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 145
  1. #121
    Join Date
    November 2017
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    The rights management of Discord is very limited.
    The rights management of Discord is also very straightforward which is actually an advantage. TeamSpeak's permission system is powerful, but actually too powerful for the average user.

    A very common use case is to grant group A access to channel A and group B access to channel B but both groups should not be able to join the other group's channel.

    In Discord, this is only a matter of creating two roles and assigning them to the corresponding channels.

    With TeamSpeak on the other hand, users mess around with "join power" and "needed join power" for hours until they eventually give up and resort to using channel passwords instead.

    From a usability point of view, TeamSpeak's permission system actually sucks because it is not immediately obvious to the average user what they have to do in order to implement rather simple use cases and it's more likely that these users actually end up messing up their server's permissions in a way which opens up security holes which in turn results in statements like "my server has been hacked" and bored kids uploading their "I hacked this TeamSpeak server" videos on YouTube where they simply used the server's broken permissions setup to give themselves permissions which they were not supposed to be able to get.

    And with the constraint that TeamSpeak 5 and TeamSpeak 3 are going to co-exists for a while, I don't expect any big changes to that permissions system anytime soon.

    Don't get me wrong, TeamSpeak is still my voice com of choice but from a usability point of view I'd say that - TeamSpeak 5 aside - Discord is currently the better option.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    December 2015
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by kashinoda View Post
    My major gripe with Discord is how it handles my microphone in particular, using voice activation detection it either fails to pick up my voice or picks up everything. I don't have that issue on TeamSpeak.
    You know you can also adjust the voice activation level in Discord? Just like TeamSpeak offers it?
    So you can disable automatic voice level detection and try around with the manual settings.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    February 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimos View Post
    You know you can also adjust the voice activation level in Discord? Just like TeamSpeak offers it?
    So you can disable automatic voice level detection and try around with the manual settings.
    Of course I know, I'm saying that it's difficult to find the sweet spot.

    Maybe it's down to how Teamspeak handles background noise and voice gain compared to Discord.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    January 2019
    Posts
    60
    does someone have an insight why discord seems to have more and more versatile bots?

  5. #125
    Join Date
    August 2016
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by mindo View Post
    does someone have an insight why discord seems to have more and more versatile bots?
    Probably because their API is actually usable.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    February 2011
    Posts
    20
    Did anyone here already mention this boosting s**t that discord offers? Paying users can "boost" a server for better audio quality and upload space for everyone. Isn't this like "pay to talk"?

    https://support.discordapp.com/hc/de...rver-Boosting-

  7. #127
    Join Date
    April 2015
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by deathdragonaw View Post
    Did anyone here already mention this boosting s**t that discord offers? Paying users can "boost" a server for better audio quality and upload space for everyone. Isn't this like "pay to talk"?

    https://support.discordapp.com/hc/de...rver-Boosting-
    And what's wrong with this? Teamspeak is even more "pay to talk"

  8. #128
    Join Date
    November 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by florian2833z View Post
    And what's wrong with this? Teamspeak is even more "pay to talk"
    In what world is TeamSpeak pay to talk? The client and the server are free! For the server ofc having the needed infrastructure. But thatīs only for the owner and all users have NO FEE at all. Seeing you joined in 2015 it bothers me even more that you spread fake news.
    In order to boost a Discord server you need to have an active Nitro subscription and if you cancel your subscription your boosts get removed after 3 days. In addition to that the server apparently has "boost fuel" which goes down with time so you always need to reboost and have your Nitro subscription active. I just read that on their website in 2min.
    So please tell me, where is TeamSpeak even more pay to talk? Your argument is complete nonsense.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    April 2015
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by D0mm4S View Post
    So please tell me, where is TeamSpeak even more pay to talk? Your argument is complete nonsense.
    TeamSpeak requires you to either rent a server with linux/windows/etc. or directly a teamspeak server from an athp. You wanna have more than 32 users on the server at the same time? Buy a license. If your ts3 server is running at a teamspeak hoster, the slot pricing is at least at 15 ct per slot per month. You can use discord for free without paying anything. Your server slots are not limited. No one forces you to boost anything. If you don't want to spend money on server hosting, then simply don't do it. With discord that's easy, i don't know a way to host a ts3 server entirely without paying anything.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    November 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    146
    You can always host a server at your home if you have a good internet connection. You want to have unlimited file upload storage space? Just make sure you donīt run out of hard drives. You donīt want to pay 15ct/slot? Get a vserver starting from 2€/month or even less and install teamspeak. You can use TS for free too, as a user itīs always free and even as the hoster you can have it for free. No one forces you to not apply for a sponsorship license. Yes, without a license you can only have 32 users connected to your server. I personally never saw one Discord server where more than 20 people used their shitty voice channels. You have to boost your server if you want more upload space(more like larger file sizes) and/or better voice quality.
    I personally favour TeamSpeak over anything. You want to know why? I want to talk to friends. Once in a while I go onto Discord too just to enjoy the laggy UI, I never see my friends talking too each other there (maybe 2 people but thats all), itīs just more like a WhatsApp group chat. And when we play they always come onto my TS server too for different reasons. If i want to text people I use my phone and if I want to play with people I use TeamSpeak and if I want to read specific things about a game or whatever I open the dedicated forums.

    Itīs all up to personal preference ofc. but that cost argument "itīs free" is just stupid in my opinion. People want everything for free nowadays. The people who create those things need to live from something too.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    December 2015
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by D0mm4S View Post
    used their shitty voice channels
    Why do you guys always come with this argument? They both use the same codec and about the same bitrate (in TS3 default settings)
    So I really don't know why you guys hate on Discords audio quality that much. They are literally on pair.

    Fun fact, the worst audio experience (besides from spikes/temporary lags) I ever had for a longer period of time was on the TS3 server of a friend of mine who hosted the server on his home windows Server in his student apartment.
    Permanently 5 to 10% packet loss.
    So I would never recommend a self hosted TS3 server on your home network.

    And yes, Nothing can be free. TS3 is not. Discord is not.
    On the one you pay with a license fee and one the other one you pay with Nitro for more perks like custom emojis and stuff like that and/or you buy games from them. But of course only if you want

  12. #132
    Join Date
    November 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimos View Post
    Why do you guys always come with this argument?
    I always come with this argument because somehow I never had a lagfree experience in Discord. Server always went crazy and packet loss was insane. In the beginning I did blame my connection but it occured so regularly that I was 100% sure that it was something with their software/server. I only own a TeamSpeak server, but I would switch servers to reduce this "shit" from happening if I was the "owner". Enough said. You had bad experience with server hosted on your friends PC, I had mostly bad experiences with mutliple Discord servers from my friends. In the end they always started their TS client and joined my server when we wanted to play or talk.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    December 2015
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by D0mm4S View Post
    I always come with this argument because somehow I never had a lagfree experience in Discord. Server always went crazy and packet loss was insane. In the beginning I did blame my connection but it occured so regularly that I was 100% sure that it was something with their software/server. I only own a TeamSpeak server, but I would switch servers to reduce this "shit" from happening if I was the "owner". Enough said. You had bad experience with server hosted on your friends PC, I had mostly bad experiences with mutliple Discord servers from my friends. In the end they always started their TS client and joined my server when we wanted to play or talk.
    That's why I mentioned my TS example.

    Just because you might have had a shitty experience, doesn't mean it is shit in general.
    Otherwise I would also talk about shitty TS voice quality all the time.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    November 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    146
    Both have there + and -, itīs up to the user to decide. Can we agree on that?
    Well I just found out that this thread is over 3 years old and I am asking myself right now why I even bothered to write here

  15. #135
    Join Date
    December 2015
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by PiotrSzafranski View Post
    The Discord vs TeamSpeak voice quality difference is only noticeable if you compare the sound results from the two programs using mid-tier microphones. Otherwise, the sound quality is pretty much the same in both the programs.
    Here's a more formal comparison between them and you guys can have a look: https://docsbay.net/discord-vs-teams...mparison-table
    Then again, if you use shitty microphones it doesn't matter if you use TS, Discord, Skype or Steam VoiceChat. Then they all sound terrible because the person sound terrible anyway.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 6th, 2016, 12:40 AM
  2. Discord like twitch sub sync (Explained in thread)
    By chrisjudd in forum Tools / Web Based
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2016, 12:37 PM
  3. Benefits of diff DBs
    By Correnzo in forum Server Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 1st, 2013, 08:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •