Forum

SQlite to MySQL question

Hello all - I'm new to the forums and I hope this is posted in the correct place.

I maintain a TS3 server for my Clan and I'm having a few issues with the server.

If this is a noob question then I apologise. I've been searching the forums and found this post http://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/4...to-mysql-howto I've followed the instructions to the letter but I'm still running into problems.

Specs:

Windows Server 2012 R2 (standard edition) hosted on a VDS from nfoservers.com
    MySQL Server v5.5
    MySQL Workbench v6.3 CE
    Teamspeak Server v3.0.11.4
    Firefox SQLite manager addon

The problem I have is that everything appears to work just fine. I'm using the mariadb stuff of course, and the database tables are created correctly - the edits I made to the exported sqlite database (using the export database option in the addon) import without errors. I start the server and it tells me when I connect that it's a new server and I need to enter the privilege key? There's no sign of the data that's just imported successfully to the new database ie the channels / welcome message etc etc,.

Does anyone have any ideas for me - and again I apologies if this is a really simple mistake I'm making, but I've been working on this all morning and I'm just going round in circles. Any ideas/help would be really appreciated. If you need log files I can post them along with config files, but there isn't a lot in the log files.

Thanks.

Peace.

Zac.
    Last edited by dante696; February 23rd, 2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: merged

Did you tell the new server to actually use the MySQL / MariaDB database server? If not then TeamSpeak will default to using SQLite (which doesn't exist and is thus created).
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by [Ci13]FM_Zachary View Post
    I'm using the mariadb stuff of course
    Why "of course"? People who care about the performance of an instance with less than some thousand slots would stick to SQLite.

Wink

I said "Of course" numma_cway because TeamSpeak now uses mariadb instead of the MySQL database that the post I linked to in the question uses. And I didn't want people coming back to me in their replies pointing out that I should be using mariadb instead of the MySQL database that's mentioned in that tutorial And surely it's down to individual preference what database system you use?

I want to use the mariadb so that I can maybe link our forum users to the server and have them put in the correct groups automatically - something you can't do with the SQLite system? And something that I believe is possible using the mariadb option.

To answer your question Chris - yes the ini file points to the mariadb config file, so as far as I can tell it should be reading that instead of the SQlite file. Having looked at the logs again it states clearly that it's using the mariadb settings and there are no errors listed - which was my main reason for posting here.

Thanks so far people.

Zac.

Resist the temptation to modify the TS server database directly. You will break it. It will never work properly anyway, because if you change something in the database while the TS3 server is running, the server will not immediately pick it up, because it is caching stuff in memory. In this case, the data between memory and database is inconsistent. If, in this state, someone edits something that is in memory differently than in the database, it gets eventually pushed into the database and you will have a mess. It's also possible that you edit the database wrongly and insert data that is considered inconsistant by the server. There is no specification how to edit data in the database.

Use the query interface to the Teamspeak server instead. It's the only supported way. With it, you can fully manage the server in an automated way: adding users to groups, create/delete groups, edit permissions, etc.
    This interface is independent of the database, so you can use sqlite. Use sqlite, because it works out of the box. It needs no extra service. It is robust and you remove a single point of failure of your TS server: if the sql server isn't available (or even restarted) while the TS3 server is running, the TS3 server will fail.

The SQL server is good if you are an ATHP with many physical machines and thousands of slots, because it helps moving TS3 server instances between physical hosts. But not for a standalone machine.

ps. to help with your actual issue:
    Remove all tables from your sql ts3 database. Then start ts3 server and look what it creates, when it creates a new database. Rename this database as reference and create an empty one. Import your old server into this database. Compare the two databases - is there something different? Server id's, port numbers, machine id's? As far as I remember, the "server" table defines the base properties of the server. Compare your imported server with the newly created server.
    Last edited by Schlumpi; February 22nd, 2016 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by [Ci13]FM_Zachary View Post
    I want to use the mariadb so that I can maybe link our forum users to the server and have them put in the correct groups automatically
    TS3 uses radically different authentication structure that can not be linked to any existing user database directly.
    You have to write an automation script for that, and the database backend doesn't matter.

Thank you all for the advice.

@Schlumpi - thank you I'll try that and see what the result is.

@ANR Daemon thanks for your clarification.

Zac.

Thread Information